05 Jayco Escapade Refresh and Upgrades

Pulled a muscle in my back doing the spark plug shuffle in the Focus but got the swivel seat fastened down and tested it. Going to be nice.. kinda like a recliner in the corner. I can put my feet up on the transition and not have to move every time someone comes through. I did have to relocate the wiring in the loom. There's a shield right under the new bolts but it's thin enough to bend. Got new carpet down but not done.. that was sorta terrible. Exact fit my left foot!

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

Pulled a back muscle yesterday but still got some work done today. The bases are 34 the sleeping platform will be 36 and 6ft. Just need to get the 1/2 or 3/4 plywood to tie it all together, not sure what size yet. The walkway will be 25 inches and a 16 inch seating area in the back.. probably for the momma when she gets cranky LOL.

Almost done up front.. direct fit carpet bologna. But think I got it to fit. Now need to put all the trim pieces back and seats. Whichever engineer designed the plastic step needs to find another job.. one on a island far away from people. Might just get some long self tappers and forgo the clips.
IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

Working under the bed before putting the top and sides on. Put everything up on 1 1/2 blocks for ventilation and it case the tank leaks. Debating if I want to put a real breaker box in. Gotta love the style of junction and plugs, I've replaced most of them. Going to put a second platform over all this. Have alot of work to do still.

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

Good lord. A 120v Scotchlok.

Even a giant wire nut would be better than that monstrosity.

I agree though, I'd rather have the 120v and 12v systems separate. If I ever had to refurb one, I would likely separate them into 2 systems.

1708573921389.jpg

Scotchlok? Those are the abosolute @#$@# connections people use in the 12v automotive industry when they are too lazy to do a proper connection. They slice into the wire like the one in the above post. They eventually either corrode the wire in half or lose connection.

These things:

1708574202358.jpg

I used exactly one of them in my carreer as a 12v audio person. There was a sense wire I absolutely couldn't get to any other way and needed it for an alarm. I felt so dirty, but it never came back and the car was a young kid's and ended up totalled in under a year, so I never had to see it again.

Schotchlok.. huh didn't make that comparison but yeah it is very similar. All the plugs were like that... They use them also besides speed is not having to use electrical boxes. It's not easy to change them out since I have to cut out for a box. I didn't change it out for now, a project for the future maybe. Got everything mounted last night just need to run the circuits for AC/DC for the beds. They put the very front outlet and the back two outlets on the same breaker.. wonderful!

IMG_2505.jpg

Not going to cover this up. Used pieces from the old bed platform, it was luan with styrofoam sandwiched in between. The platform is going to be over all of this and only be able to see it if you stick your head under there. Putting the 3/4 plywood platforms on next and side pieces.
IMG_2512.jpeg

IMG_2511.jpeg

Debating if I should getting the same piano hinge for the other side. This opens a lot easier and no binding.
IMG_2518.jpeg

Taking a break for a couple days… tired! Have the plywood for the sides and the other outlet. Might need to rethink the “seating” area.
IMG_2521.jpeg

Poles are gone! Pull that and push down. Guess it’s sturdy enough, boys will probably find out. Hit metal with the screws along the top and bottom. Thought about putting a piece of plywood with adhesive and screws but figured try this first.
IMG_2527.jpeg

IMG_2528.jpeg