05 Jayco Escapade Refresh and Upgrades

esmith2039

Been working on this a little bit now, I'll just make a running thread. We've had this RV 11 years now 12 in June, my youngest son will be 13 in August. Alot of memories and miles over the years. We've looked at new RV's but really nothing thrills us enough to spend that much $$$$. It only has 103k so the old 6.0L still has alot of life left, the 4L80e has been on the last legs for 80k though. The only thing it doesn't do well is pull a toad but we'll work around that. So decided to freshen it up and make some modifications to suit us a little better.

Started out in the middle because why not.. Primary goal was to get rid of the carpet. Yuck! Alot of dirt underneath. Put down some LVP from Lowes, I wouldn't recommend style selections. Didn't snap together right so might have issues. While I was at it I took the covers off and gave them a good wash, including the end of the sofa you see in the last pic. Still need to do the front of the couch. Alot of staples!

The pole type of table isn't going back, no leg room and it never stayed still. I've ordered a dream dinette but it's not here yet. I'll make a post when it shows up and gets done.

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

After the floor was done and before I put the dinette's back in had some other work to do. Mostly cleaned up the wiring and mounting for everything attached to this upper cabinet. Alot of years of on road fixes and additions. Shortened the bolts so wouldn't snag on everything and tided up the wiring and out of the way. Put some mats on top of all that. One wire was pinched for the right lights, bad Jayco!

One thing that always bugged me was no stereo in the back. In rural areas sometimes the TV reception is terrible but those areas usually have the best local radio stations. Put in a JVC and two 6.5's Rockford Fosgates I already had. I tied the antenna to the roof antenna, and trust me works I'm picking up stations 100 miles away. Those black pods are kinda ugly but it does sounds pretty good!

IMG_2407.jpg

What is the trans doing?

Is it glued or floating? Sure is a good looking floor.
Hmm good question on the trans, maybe I'm just telling myself that so I'm not surprised if it fails. When we got it at 26k the fluid was burnt and didn't shift right. I put a drain plug in first thing and did exchanges every oil change with lubeguard red. Now I use Dev VI every other. It shifts pretty good but might shuddered on occasion. Since I changed the rear seal don't think it even leaks now. Does need a mount though which is probably the shudder.

Floating.. the wife picked it out. She does have a better eye for sure lol

I did a similar refresh in a 97 Coachmen trailer we had. Surprising how much work there can be in a small space. Hope the flooring is okay and you don't have to redo it. Have you had any leaks in your ownership?

80k miles is a long time for a tranny to be on it's last legs. Sounds like you did all you could to keep it going.

And welcome!

I did a similar refresh in a 97 Coachmen trailer we had. Surprising how much work there can be in a small space. Hope the flooring is okay and you don't have to redo it. Have you had any leaks in your ownership?

80k miles is a long time for a tranny to be on it's last legs. Sounds like you did all you could to keep it going.

And welcome!
Oh yeah it's had leaks.. The cab over leaked when we got it. I could never get anything to stick. Eternabond, caulking nothing would. Don't know what someone put on it. After 7 years - 2018 I decided to bite the bullet and redo it. I put Duckcoat from Menards over the whole roof. In 6 years no more leaks from the top at least. Currently have a couple leaks around the rear tail lights, still working on that.

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

That's it. Stuff works great.. it's thin enough to fil the cracks. I only minimally cleaned the old caulking. I do a fresh layer every couple years. Just don't wear clothes you like, that stuff will never come off.

Working on the front and back right now. I'll work on one and wait for parts. I was planning on just using the rubber mat and cleaning it.. well it said otherwise. I guess they cut it around the doghouse to clear the carpet. I ordered a gray factory carpet for less than $200. I'd like to do two things up front but haven't decided. I pulled a swivel pedestal from a older van but don't think it'll fit. A swivel kit is $$$$. Also would like to find a set of conversion van seats to replace the factory. Those things are impossible to find. Conversion vans quickly become work vans and get crushed I guess. I think both step wells are broke so have to figure out a fix for those.
IMG_2408.jpg

In the back tearing out the queen bed and putting in twins on both sides. I'm tired of sleeping on the couch. The wife and I haven't sleep together in over 10 years, she works nights-me during the day.. I'm a light sleeper and she can kinda get violent when she sleeps :ROFLMAO: This really going to make alot more usable storage. Under the cabinets that stick down I'm going to fill that in with another cabinet leaving a 6ft sleep space. Making the platform 36 inches wide with a 22 inch walkway. I'll probably put a bench across the back for lounging. I should of did this years ago. I'm getting the side with TV. I'll eventually put lights and USB plugs on both sides.

Not really doing alot with the electrical just rearranging in the new space. But I will put a fuse and shutoff this time.. I had both but couldn't find them till after I got it done last time. I'd like to find a place to get a couple feet of 0 gauge copper local but everything seems to be copper plated aluminum both local and online.

The back lights I thought several times I should reseal and never did.. paying for that now. I've ordered LED's to replace those. The bulbs don't seem to last long not sure why. Shouldn't be too hard of a fix compared to the front.

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

I pulled a swivel pedestal from a older van but don't think it'll fit. A swivel kit is $$$$. Also would like to find a set of conversion van seats to replace the factory. Those things are impossible to find.
Maybe a specialty seat company like this?

This really going to make alot more usable storage. Under the cabinets that stick down I'm going to fill that in with another cabinet leaving a 6ft sleep space. Making the platform 36 inches wide with a 22 inch walkway. I'll probably put a bench across the back for lounging. I should of did this years ago. I'm getting the side with TV. I'll eventually put lights and USB plugs on both sides.
I can't wait to see those pictures, it's going to completely change the coach.

Funny story, we met an older couple that had separate twin beds in their Airstream. He said, "Yeah we are divorced and don't sleep together any more, but we still do a lot of camping together 😳

Maybe a specialty seat company like this?

A bit pricey and don't look as comfortable to me. Wonder if the bolt pattern for the E Series and Express are close? I might go to a u pull it yard tomorrow and take some measurements.

I can't wait to see those pictures, it's going to completely change the coach.

Funny story, we met an older couple that had separate twin beds in their Airstream. He said, "Yeah we are divorced and don't sleep together any more, but we still do a lot of camping together 😳
Couples and non-couples do some weird to us things sometimes. I knew a married couple that still had separate houses, and they had been married for a long time.

Couples and non-couples do some weird to us things sometimes. I knew a married couple that still had separate houses, and they had been married for a long time.
yep. or people get older and stay married and live separate lives, because divorce in retirement is financial suicide.

my friend Buck recently told me his wife of 50 years wants a divorce.. I told him what he already knows, so he needs to convince her if she doesn't like the situation now, wait until she is only living on half the money they have now..

Kinda got to a stall point, working on both the kitchen and RV at once. Got the floor put down in the back bedroom and the LED tail lights hooked up. Just need to pull them through and put them back. The frames for the twin bed's is next. But started working on the cab area, need to get the carpet down and the seats back. Makes me nervous if something happens can't easily jump in and move it. Got the bottom plate mounted and the holes drilled, that was nerve racking. Went to Menards after and got some 12mm bolt and fender washers, same size and factory and reuse the nuts. Should be strong enough.

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

Love the project updates.

As for the 0 gauge wiring. Check with your local car stereo store. If they don't have it, they should be able to put hands on some 100% copper wiring. Also, welding supply stores.

Got the lights mounted tonight. Double sided Eternabond tape so it should never leak, or come off LOL. The passenger looks like it might be off but I put it back in the same screw holes so don't know. Wow it needs a good cleaning.. it's getting the wax stripped first weekend in the 60's. Thinking about removing the state map. Plan on putting it somewhere inside.
IMG_2478.jpg