Salvage 5th Wheel at auction in Iowa

GON

One has to look closely at this listing. Listing states loss is other, and primary damage is hail. State Farm is the Seller.

I sense something more than hail is why this RV went to auction, but can't figure out what it is. I am the current high bidder, with my max bid of $1125. In no way to I expect to be the winning bidder. At $1125, after auction fees before sales the the price is about $2000 USD.
37360943_1_I.jpeg
37360943_2_I.jpeg
37360943_3_I.jpeg
37360943_4_I.jpeg
37360943_5_I.jpeg
37360943_6_I.jpeg
37360943_7_I.jpeg
37360943_8_I.jpeg
37360943_9_I.jpeg
37360943_10_I.jpeg

The whole corner looks iffy actually:

Water damage causing delamination? That's my guess. Roof would be a huge unknown as well.

1708147155578.jpg

You are the master of rebuilds though. Hope you win it because I love reading your journeys through the rebuild process.

Reactions: GON
The whole corner looks iffy actually:

Water damage causing delamination? That's my guess. Roof would be a huge unknown as well.

View attachment 2309

You are the master of rebuilds though. Hope you win it because I love reading your journeys through the rebuild process.
Thanks, I am hoping I don't win it. I am working OCONUS through the end of March, and moving in April to a truly unknown location. Sometimes my eyes are bigger then my stomach......

Where is it in Iowa?

[edit] It's in Des Moines. I don't have any relatives there or I'd have someone look at it for you.

There's something bigtime wrong with the back wall.

View attachment 2308
its called delamination... if you could get it for 2 grand and just use it as is, it would be alright but it will turn in to a money pit if you try to fix that sort of structural stuff. my opinion on any used vehicle is you use it like it is, but don't pile money into it.. especially RV's, which are total loss investments..

its called delamination
Now that I look closer at the pictures, there is absolutely de-lamination. Whoever took these pictures, seem to have made sure they didn't get too close. I'll bet you the top seam leaked and the back and almost certainly the right side are damaged. The wood structure also is likely rotting. Who knows about the rest of the trailer. How many windows are broken, can they be replaced at a reasonable cost? This may be a good one to let go, unless you have the time/ability to replace the back wall and part of the right side wall.

My thoughts on buying a 5th wheel is simply for an education. Seems I learn from experience/ mistakes. If I could find a fifth wheel at 2k USD, I sense I would learn enough to know what to look for as a purchase into the future. a 2k USD deep education into learning about how to select a RV might be a very cheap education.

There is no free lunch. If I was to be the high bidder on this RV at 2k USD (I won't), week off of work to pickup, thousands in fuel and lodging. A 2k USD RV could easily cost 4k USD in less than ten days after the end of the auction.

Not to get to off track, but I sometimes wonder if a twenty year old enclosed Featherlite , or Wells Cargo trailer is better quality than a new trailer. Maybe wrong, but skimming the learning surface, I keep reading new trailers, from gooseneck flatbeds to tow behind campers, are of very poor quality.

Not to get to off track, but I sometimes wonder if a twenty year old enclosed Featherlite , or Wells Cargo trailer is better quality than a new trailer. Maybe wrong, but skimming the learning surface, I keep reading new trailers, from gooseneck flatbeds to tow behind campers, are of very poor quality.

You're not wrong. And to add a double whammy to it, you're dragging the whole thing down roads, so basically you're asking your 'house' to stand up to hurricane-force winds, and a moderate earthquake for hours on end. @Wayne has had some minor problems with his New Horizons, if I'm not mistaken, and those are near the tippy top of bespoke homes on wheels.

The cheaper mass-built ones don't stand a chance for the most part. Once you understand you're buying a long-term project you'll get along much better with the idea of owning one.

I'm hoping that one of the tricks to it is constantly throwing small amounts of money (maintenance) at it, instead of doing nothing and waiting for the big problems to pop up.

@Wayne has had some minor problems with his New Horizons, if I'm not mistaken, and those are near the tippy top of bespoke homes on wheels.
Some minor issues that were fixed when I took it back at the one year point. They fixed everything on the list no questions asked. They even repacked the wheel bearings and did an alignment on the Morryde independent axles for free. There have been no problems with structure, frame, electrical (beautiful installation job), plumbing, electronics, etc. The only thing they didn't fix correctly was the leak in the dinning room slide. I finally got that solved by using lapping caulk. https://rvthe.us/community/threads/...ollo-rv-flex-repair-caulking-lap-sealant.605/

Overall the design and build quality of New Horizons is completely outstanding. I'm fairly qualified to judge, because I've spent many days in the factory observing the process from frame to finish, asking questions, and getting to know many of the employees, including the owners and president. They live and breath quality and it shows.

Last edited:
Some minor issues that were fixed when I took it back at the one year point. They fixed everything on the list no questions asked. They even repacked the wheel bearings and did an alignment on the Morryde independent axles for free. There have been no problems with structure, frame, electrical (beautiful installation job), plumbing, electronics, etc. The only thing they didn't fix correctly was the leak in the dinning room slide. I finally got that solved by using lapping caulk. https://rvthe.us/community/threads/...ollo-rv-flex-repair-caulking-lap-sealant.605/

Overall the design and build quality of New Horizons is completely outstanding. I'm fairly qualified to judge, because I've spent many days in the factory observing the process from frame to finish, asking questions, and getting to know many of the employees, including the owners and president. They live and breath quality and it shows.
curiosity makes me wonder how much that New Horizons set you back?
kinda like I always wanted an Airstream, but for that kind of money I would probably just find a second house
and the practical financial side of me wont allow me to just pay that much for a trailer. . :)

I know one thing, if GON wants a trailer, he can find one locally for less than the auction house wants.
plenty of them just sitting in peoples back yards falling apart as we talk
just waiting for someone to make an unreasonable offer.

I know one thing, if GON wants a trailer, he can find one locally for less than the auction house wants.
plenty of them just sitting in peoples back yards falling apart as we talk
just waiting for someone to make an unreasonable offer.
RV Trader is a pretty good place to look.

curiosity makes me wonder how much that New Horizons set you back?
We ordered it before they got massive numbers of orders during Covid and inflation kicked in, so we got a really good deal.

We ordered it before they got massive numbers of orders during Covid and inflation kicked in, so we got a really good deal.
I see used ones New Horizons going for 150 to 199k, so makes you wonder but if they cost that darn much, they better kiss your butt and fix whatever complaint you have...
my first fifth wheel was a 2006 Cedar Creek 30rlbs... I bought it in 08 for 28k.
it looked like it had never been used even though it was used... at a certain point I was going thru all the paperwork
the previous owner left the original sales invoice.. guy paid 48k for it 2 years earlier. debatable if he used it at all..
it lost almost half its original value in 2 years..
that is how it always was with RV's..

I paid 48 for my Bighorn... I suspect it was a 90k unit brand new.
things aren't very good investments.
that covid thing was an outlier and will never happen again.

not unlike me buying my house in 2011 after the housing market collapsed
I paid about 40% less than the cost to build it not including the price of the land.
those opportunities don't come around very often.

but I do know that when times get tight if GON wants a trailer
he should be able to just about steal one from somebody who has to unload it.

I see used ones New Horizons going for 150 to 199k, so makes you wonder but if they cost that darn much, they better kiss your butt and fix whatever complaint you have...
New Horizons has a completely outstanding warranty and support.

Three times we have been passing New Horizons on I-70 and dropped in to get something fixed. They dropped what they were working on an fixed the issues. The issues were broken shear pin on a slide (my fault as I didn't keep the slide arm lubricated), leaking hydraulic hose running to a leveling cylinder (bad hose), and a loose cabinet on the ceiling (manufacturing problem). No charge and we were back on the road shortly. I can't imagine how any RV manufacturer could have better service.

New Horizons has a completely outstanding warranty and support.

Three times we have been passing New Horizons on I-70 and dropped in to get something fixed. They dropped what they were working on an fixed the issues. The issues were broken shear pin on a slide (my fault as I didn't keep the slide arm lubricated), leaking hydraulic hose running to a leveling cylinder (bad hose), and a loose cabinet on the ceiling (manufacturing problem). No charge and we were back on the road shortly. I can't imagine how any RV manufacturer could have better service.
Guess I should be tracking New Horizons at the auctions, but I suspect it has a well educated following that knows what New Horizons is. I just did a search at IAAI and no New Horizons listed in the system.

Guess I should be tracking New Horizons at the auctions, but I suspect it has a well educated following that knows what New Horizons is. I just did a search at IAAI and no New Horizons listed in the system.
Here you go - a 2020 Majestic and a nice Volvo tractor to pull it. We have a Summit IK3S (Island kitchen three slide), which is "not customizable". Except we put a 100 gallon potable water tank, Morryde independent suspension, and the Bigfoot leveling system. All of those option come with the Majestic, so the Summit is customizable in those ways, you just can't change the floor plan.

Here you go - a 2020 Majestic and a nice Volvo tractor to pull it. We have a Summit IK3S (Island kitchen three slide), which is "not customizable". Except we put a 100 gallon potable water tank, Morryde independent suspension, and the Bigfoot leveling system. All of those option come with the Majestic, so the Summit is customizable in those ways, you just can't change the floor plan.

Wow, that is beautiful....... and way beyond what I could afford....... Maybe one will hit the auction some day and nobody will know what it is....... but I am not counting on it.

Update on the fifth wheel. I was outbid- as expected. I don't know what the high bid was, but the high bid did not meet the reserve, nor did the high bidder except the Seller's offer. So, the RV will go back to auction next week, but one can buy it now for $8k USD, before fees. With fees about $9300 USD, plus sales tax in states that charge sales tax.

Stock NumberYearMakeModelLocationPriceAuction Date
373609432013DUTCHMENDENALI 262RLXIA $8,000.0002/27/2024

Wow, that is beautiful....... and way beyond what I could afford....... Maybe one will hit the auction some day and nobody will know what it is....... but I am not counting on it.
I was going to say, you just jumped from a 1500 dollar unit to a 150,000 dollar unit.. :) and I bet you'll be jumping right back the way you came..

IMHO that auction sounds like a rip off, basically you'd be better off looking at RV consignments places and private sellers and just making offers on units you can look at and that are white elephants in most people's back yards.. or wait for the next recession,. Trust me, these things can't possibly be selling like they were a few years ago, I see RV dealers full to the brim with new units and see people selling theirs on the side of the road regularly... its just a matter of finding them, having money and making offers.. leave em your name and tell em you wont go higher than you offer but you do have cash... funny how it works . they might call you 2 months from now..

you can find something decent under 10k if you keep looking. they are out there.. they will just be a bit old.
and they wont be junk either, just dated. Don't buy a POS planning on fixing it.. no need to.

Last edited: