Fixed a roof leak with Ziollo RV Flex Repair Caulking Lap Sealant

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
We have been fighting a small drip running down the inside of the window in our dinning room slide. I thought I had the leak fixed when I re-caulked all of the screw heads.

It rained about a month ago and the very slow drip started again. It's supposed to rain again in a couple days, so I got up on the slide roof and really looked things over and found this:
Not a great caulk job and when I started tugging a bit at the caulk, it wasn't adhered properly.
first.JPG

Some of the caulk was already separated or was very easy to separate.
1.JPG

Another leaker in the corner where the caulk didn't adhere correctly:
1.1.JPG

Some of the caulk peeled away easily along the roof to frame interface.
2.JPG

A couple close-ups of the cleaned interface:
3.JPG

4.JPG

This caulk is the runniest caulk I've ever used. That's why they call it "Self leveling lap sealant". Frankly I've never seen anything quite like it, but this stuff really leaves a nice wide and thick puddle. This is a much better roof sealant than the thicker caulks that leave a bead.
5.JPG

I re-caulked another place where there was a patch that had been glued on and had a tiny bead of thick caulk. This sure looks way better.
IMG_4257.JPG

The factory used a thick bead caulk and you can see the results. This is the Ziollo caulk I used. It's way expensive, but the way this caulk spreads and levels, I will never use a bead caulk on my RV roof again.
IMG_4259.JPG

I'll have to give that a shot when I run out of DiCor It isn't that terribly expensive considering you might only need a tube of it every now and then.

Hope it sticks well.

Does the DiCor leave a puddle or a bead?

If the way it stuck to my fingers is any indication, it's some good stuff.
You have two options with the DiCor, one is self-leveling, one is not. The stuff I have is not. It is more along the lines of an RTV type consistency. If you poke it with your finger, it will raise a little spot that will level out, but it doesn't spread like the self-leveling variety.

I'll need to look out for that stuff (Ziollo). I use the Camco self leveling sealant found at Menards. It is somewhat expensive compared to caulk but works way better on any horizontal or close to horizontal surfaces! I have fixed several spots on my TT roof.

Camco

Just my $0.02

I have the Dicor self leveling caulk. I check my roof yearly and reapply as required. I don't pull the old stuff out on the advice of an older RV tech who comes to you to do maintenance. Have not had a problem yet.

Looks good to me Wayne.

I don't pull the old stuff out on the advice of an older RV tech who comes to you to do maintenance.
I think that's mostly good advice. I removed some caulk that never adhered correctly and basically pulled right off. When we get the trailer back to the house, I will recaulk all of the slides and roof where needed.