Never seize or grease in the tow receiver for pull behind rigs?

GON

Always a question in my mind, should never seize or grease be put in the tow receiver to protect the receiver from corrosion when not in use?

If someone was to keep their tow hitch in the receiver year round, I would go with never seize without question. But if someone is pulling out and putting back the tow hitch on and off throughout the year, never seize gets pretty messy, and hard to clean off hand, cloths, etc.

What is your preference?

If someone was to keep their tow hitch in the receiver year round, I would go with never seize without question.
I have seen ball mounts get stuck in the receiver because they never get removed. If I had a ball mount that was practically never removed, then I would give it a nice coat of never seize.

But if someone is pulling out and putting back the tow hitch on and off throughout the year, never seize gets pretty messy, and hard to clean off hand, cloths, etc.
I removed mine when they are not in use. There is no need for never seize, because they don't have time to rust and seize. Plus as @tnt_motorsports says, I don't want the mess.

I don’t put anything in mine but I don’t leave it in the receiver. I do put a little synthetic grease in the hitch for the ball and clean it to get the grit out. Also put a little in the WD hitch where the WD bars go.

I don’t put anything in mine but I don’t leave it in the receiver. I do put a little synthetic grease in the hitch for the ball and clean it to get the grit out. Also put a little in the WD hitch where the WD bars go.
I use this product from Menards on the ball and the contact surface for the WD bars on my setup. It works good and provides a little bit of lubrication. It’s dry so no debris sticks to it.

Dry lube

Just my $0.02

I use this product from Menards on the ball and the contact surface for the WD bars on my setup. It works good and provides a little bit of lubrication. It’s dry so no debris sticks to it.

Dry lube

Just my $0.02
Yes, I use the same on my slide arms. No oil or grease to attract dirt and the dry graphite is very slippery.

1715040588987.jpg

I use that on my ball and in the spring arm sockets.

Seriously giving through to doing something else.

#1 I manage to brush up against the ball at least once on every trip.......every......single.......time......... and get it on my shorts, and it doesn't come out.
#2 It is super tacky and picks up everything.

I'm thinking about not putting anything on the ball, and something dry on the spring sockets.

I can't imagine using never seize. My whole trailer would be silver after one trip....and my truck, and me.

1715041122562.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing I've ever sprayed on a ball is the graphite dry lub, because I don't want the dirty lube to get on me. The dry lube works fine, but I usually don't even bother. The ball and hitch just don't wear. I hope to wear one out some day, but I don't think I'll get it done.

The only thing I've ever sprayed on a ball is the graphite dry lub, because I don't want the dirty lube to get on me. The dry lube works fine, but I usually don't even bother. The ball and hitch just don't wear. I hope to wear one out some day, but I don't think I'll get it done.
Yea, I think I'm going to clean mine off before the next trip. I'll have to clean inside the coupler as well. The trailer has rubbed the chrome off the ball in a couple spots, but that's about it.

View attachment 2613

I use that on my ball and in the spring arm sockets.

Seriously giving through to doing something else.

#1 I manage to brush up against the ball at least once on every trip.......every......single.......time......... and get it on my shorts, and it doesn't come out.
#2 It is super tacky and picks up everything.

I'm thinking about not putting anything on the ball, and something dry on the spring sockets.

I can't imagine using never seize. My whole trailer would be silver after one trip....and my truck, and me.

View attachment 2614
Only thing worse than baby 💩 is anti-seize! It gets everywhere.

Just my $0.02

After desperately trying to get a hidden goose-neck ball out of its mount when I drove 1200 miles to pickup a trailer, I have accepted the messy never seize tradeoff over a seized hitch. In the 1990s had a Astro van with a seized hitch I could not remove (I may have the knowledge today to have had it come out).

Guess my experiences have pointed me to want to trade off the mess for piece of mind, even if the concern is not so valid.

Always a question in my mind, should never seize or grease be put in the tow receiver to protect the receiver from corrosion when not in use?

If someone was to keep their tow hitch in the receiver year round, I would go with never seize without question. But if someone is pulling out and putting back the tow hitch on and off throughout the year, never seize gets pretty messy, and hard to clean off hand, cloths, etc.

What is your preference?
dry... if you feel the need to lube the receiver my brain thinks WD or equivalent would do fine.