Has anyone pulled US-64 between Cimerron and Taos, NM?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
We are going that way in a few weeks and US-64 is the shortest route. The route on the map looks to be very windy and steep in some places. I always like to know what I'm getting myself into.

Last edited:
We are going that way in a few weeks and US-64 is the shortest route. The route on the map looks to be very windy and steep in some places. I always like to know what I'm getting myself into.

I have not but a quick look at a Truckers Atlas shows the US 64 between I 25 all the way to Tierra Amarilla NM is not a STAA approved route, so its not exactly friendly to a tractor trailer.. so you take that info under advisement.. it isn't tractor trailer freindly, therefore it isn't very friendly to large RV's either.. but that don't mean you can't do it..

I haven’t been that way but seeing as how Wheeler Peak is the highest point in NM I would imagine it would be kinda twisty and up and down. That’s part of what they call the Enchanted Circle.

I have not but a quick look at a Truckers Atlas shows the US 64 between I 25 all the way to Tierra Amarilla NM is not a STAA approved route, so its not exactly friendly to a tractor trailer.. so you take that info under advisement.. it isn't tractor trailer freindly, therefore it isn't very friendly to large RV's either.. but that don't mean you can't do it..
US 82 between Artesia and Alamogorda NM has signs on it about loaded trucks and 65 foot maximum length. Also has 2 runaway ramps on it but it wasn’t that bad for us. May have to go slow at times.

I have not but a quick look at a Truckers Atlas shows the US 64 between I 25 all the way to Tierra Amarilla NM is not a STAA approved route
What in the world is STAA and how do I see their road recommendations?

I forgot my atlas and tried to find one on our last trip. Couldn’t find one anywhere. Not even at a truck stop.

I forgot my atlas and tried to find one on our last trip. Couldn’t find one anywhere. Not even at a truck stop.
sometimes Walmart still has them in the book section, but you can get definitely buy the off or Amazon for sure..

sometimes Walmart still has them in the book section, but you can get definitely buy the off or Amazon for sure..
Walmart didn’t have one either. I don’t like using the map apps on my phone because you can’t look far enough ahead to get a visual of the route it has you taking. The apps do ok in town maneuvering but for longer trips I still like to look at the entire route.

I’ve got 2 of them. 1 spiral bound and laminated. Just left both at home and couldn’t find one in route. I’ll be sure to put a hoodie in the trailer too. It was 50* and windy on top of Cloudcroft.

We permanently keep clothes in our RV that are appropriate for all climates.. because you never know what you will run into.

My wife has lived in FLA most of her life. First time she went to Michigan with me was in late July many years ago...
We are up there, and its evening and it cools off and I tell her to find me a flannel shirt and she says " I didn't bring anything warm"..

I told her you don't ever come up here without a coat.. you can be in a pair of shorts in the morning and it will turn cold enough to snow my bedtime. :)

We permanently keep clothes in our RV that are appropriate for all climates.. because you never know what you will run into.

My wife has lived in FLA most of her life. First time she went to Michigan with me was in late July many years ago...
We are up there, and its evening and it cools off and I tell her to find me a flannel shirt and she says " I didn't bring anything warm"..

I told her you don't ever come up here without a coat.. you can be in a pair of shorts in the morning and it will turn cold enough to snow my bedtime. :)
I used to take my coat out of my assigned road tractor and have it cleaned on July 4th and put back in there when I went back to work.

We ate at Cloudcroft Brewing Company when we were there two years ago. It's a great micro brewery with live music - we highly recommend.

Wayne have you made up your mind on your proposed US 64 route?
I probably would go that way if I wanted to.. if it aint doable there will be a bunch of signs telling you it is inadvisable..
it is a US Highway.. not a country road. :)

Wayne have you made up your mind on your proposed US 64 route?
I probably would go that way if I wanted to.. if it aint doable there will be a bunch of signs telling you it is inadvisable..
it is a US Highway.. not a country road. :)
We ran Hwy 518 from LasVegas and the speed limit was 45 mph on most of it. Very scenic drive but completely doable. Like you said it is a US highway so it shouldn’t be that bad.

I did the Hogback in UT, which is 14% for quite a ways. That folks is a serious grade that should not be trifled with.

on those really steep grades , descending is generally more difficult than climbing.
thank god you can manually select lower gears.

one thing you are guaranteed about a US highway is the minimum width and stuff like that and it will be signed if there are length or height restrictions ahead..
it might not have a shoulder ( which comes into play if you get a flat) but it does meet some minimum standard.

Last edited: