alright Wayne, you asked about the Water Pump and Thermostat on a 6.7 Cummins..

We have a lot of logging, agriculture, chemical and paper mills in our area so they have a lot of resources. There is probably 5 or 6 hydraulic shops within a mile of each other.

We have a lot of logging, agriculture, chemical and paper mills in our area so they have a lot of resources. There is probably 5 or 6 hydraulic shops within a mile of each other.

yeah. I live outside of Naples Fl... not that I am rich but Naples is aplace where wealthy entitled people are catered to so its easier to find an Audi or Porsche repair place than it is to find a machine shop or hydraulic supply. LOL. . If I went inland further I am pretty sure the farm towns east of me have something like you mentioned.

700 isn't bad. The kids LB7 Duramax needed a water pump and I just did not have time to do it, plus it is kind of involved, Crank pulley had to come off. New hoses, pump, pump housing seal to water pump drive gear, crank seal was 1800 bucks. I could live with that. It was done in a day. It would have taken me a solid weekend. The boy has since rebuilt the entire the front end himself with better than stock parts.

I'll stick with my gas stuff as I don't need a diesel.

Last edited:
saw a video thru my feed that on a Ford with the 3 litre powerstroke if you had to replace the thermostat you have to pull the engine.

saw a video thru my feed that on a Ford with the 3 litre powerstroke if you had to replace the thermostat you have to pull the engine.
That has to be one of the dumbest designs ever in the history of engineering. Just knowing that, I would never ever consider owning one. I don't care how cool they are.

That has to be one of the dumbest designs ever in the history of engineering. Just knowing that, I would never ever consider owning one. I don't care how cool they are.
Yeah there are some doozies out there. You have to wonder what the engineers are thinking when they come up with something like that. I know on most of the diesel trucks you have to remove a lot of different things to get down to the basic engine parts but that is just crazy to have to remove the engine to replace something that should be simple.

Yeah there are some doozies out there. You have to wonder what the engineers are thinking when they come up with something like that. I know on most of the diesel trucks you have to remove a lot of different things to get down to the basic engine parts but that is just crazy to have to remove the engine to replace something that should be simple.
They are thinking "I don't have to work on it" I know an engineer who has never even changed his own oil.

Last edited:
I think the engineers that designed this should have to go spend a few months changing thermostats in these trucks. I'll bet they would be better engineers.

I think the engineers that designed this should have to go spend a few months changing thermostats in these trucks. I'll bet they would be better engineers.
It just shows that there is no kind of review of these asinine specifications that these “Educated” people come up with. Lots of difference between something drawn out on paper and real world experience after the fact.
The engineer or team that came up with that should have to pay out of their pocket to have that done for the life of the vehicle.

I do work with a bunch of degreed engineers; some are excellent and get it. Others? Not so much. One of my favorite engineers once said to me "Never blame an engineer when the penny pinchers become involved."

I spent my whole adult life either repairing transit vehicles or directing the repair of transit vehicles.
I understand designers don't always have a view that stuff might possibly have to be repaired or maintained
but I have worked on different brands of transit vehicles where the designers made sure there were access points
and removable panels or remote mounting of routinely serviced things like filters, brakes, etc
and other brands who had absolutely no concept of making things easier for the end user and maintainer..

Last edited:
I spent my whole adult life either repairing transit vehicles or directing the repair of transit vehicles.
I understand designers don't always have a view that stuff might possibly have to be repaired or maintained
but I have worked on my brands of transit vehicles where the designers made sure there were access points
and removable panels or remote mounting of routinely serviced things like filters, brakes, etc
and other brands who had absolutely no concept of making things easier for the end user and maintainer..
I agree with that 100%. Some, like you said, make it a lot easier to maintain the vehicle. Some don’t have a clue.