alright Wayne, you asked about the Water Pump and Thermostat on a 6.7 Cummins..

MSCH

here you go Water pump removed
water pump removed.JPG

Water pump installed
water pump installed.JPG

also put a new belt on there which is a royal PITA.
how I straightened out the belt which had been folded in the packaging for who knows how long trying to get the curves out of it.

IMG_0466.JPG

did I say the belt was a PITA?

no room whatsoever to get at it... and it is a really tight fit to get it on the last pulley even with the tensioner disengaged as much as possible but since I had water pump out, I also removed the tensioner. The way it is desgned you have to get the belt between the front of the engine and the tensioner, might be 1/4" on clearance.. so the tensioner pretty much has to be removed or you are going to fight the belt in an area where you can hardly reach.

the belt has to go over the idler and below the idler and down on the drivers side around PS pump, then around the fan hub and then the crankshaft, almost zero room... once you get that end of it on, you get the right side of the engine in a loop, then put the tensioner back in and it can go around the AC comp, the alternator, the water pump and the tensioner.

one thing I can say for sure is if this sucker broke on the road it would be a royal job to do on the side of the road..

It doesn't look that bad, but as looks can be deceiving; I trust your description over what I see.

Wow - that belt is LONG!

What brand of stuff for the pump and belt?

Did you do the idler and tensioner at the same time?

Did you wash the engine prior to work? It looks very clean in there.

one thing I can say for sure is if this sucker broke on the road it would be a royal job to do on the side of the road..
Which makes it a great maintenance item. How many miles do you recommend?

Which makes it a great maintenance item. How many miles do you recommend?

if the truck was only for local use, I'd say to just keep an eye on it .Since I stray so far from home with the RV 150,000 miles seems like a reasonable number.. that is about what the truck has..

A friend of mine had his water pump go out on the road several years ago. He found a dealer that had a pump and could get him in. Cost him a little over $700.00 to have the water pump, belt and coolant changed. He should have done a little PM.

@MSCH how much did this job cost?
parts were from Rock Auto, Carter Water pump $40, thermostat $17,Gates belt was $20 ish
3 gallons of Prestone ELC concentrate about $45 at Walliemart and 3 gallons of distilled water..
call it $125 or so .

parts were from Rock Auto, Carter Water pump $40, thermostat $17,Gates belt was $20 ish
3 gallons of Prestone ELC concentrate about $45 at Walliemart and 3 gallons of distilled water..
call it $125 or so .
Wow, $125 vs $700 and no tow or headache while on the road in the middle of Alaska. I call that a huge win.

yeah Wayne, I look at it like this... if something bad happens and I am hundreds of miles from home, it is not only going to be inconvenient but it is going to be painful to the wallet. So as the truck ages staying on top of it becomes progressively more important. While I was under the truck doing this stuff, I noticed my power steering hose from the pump to the hydroboost is evidencing the beginnings of a leak.. right where the hose is crimped to the metal fitting that attaches it to the pump. If this thing fails I will not only have no steering but no brake assist.. so I ordered a new hose.. waiting on it now.

If I remember correctly, he was within 400 miles from home and had just left the day before.

yeah, 1 mile from home is inconvenient, 400 miles from home usually involves removing your pants and bending over.

Exactly. I’ve found that I can get hydraulic hoses fabricated at a local hydraulic shop for less than half of what the factory hoses cost. I broke a power steering hose on my tractor and the dealer told me he would have to order it and it cost $75.00. Hydraulic shop made one exactly like it for $30.00 and took 20 minutes.

Exactly. I’ve found that I can get hydraulic hoses fabricated at a local hydraulic shop for less than half of what the factory hoses cost. I broke a power steering hose on my tractor and the dealer told me he would have to order it and it cost $75.00. Hydraulic shop made one exactly like it for $30.00 and took 20 minutes.

yeah... list price on this hose is 160 dollars at the Auto Zone... its 75 from Rock Auto...

area I live is too upscale to have any local hydraulic supply but I am sure if push came to shove I could find one within 100 miles.

I broke a power steering hose on my tractor and the dealer told me he would have to order it and it cost $75.00. Hydraulic shop made one exactly like it for $30.00 and took 20 minutes.
We do the same on the farm back home. The local welding shop makes hoses for a fraction of the John Deere dealer and the hoses are just as good.

we used to make our own at my job... Aeroqip stuff, either the old style braided cloth or the new style stainless steel braided..
but it's one of those things in my case. Problem with some hoses is the specialty fittings used on one end or the other, for instance you will find a manufacturer who uses one size fitting on one end and different size on the other, making the hose impossible to put on the wrong place or use the wrong one.. The standard hydraulic fittings that most places have may or may not be available. We even ran into that problem at my job, we couldn't make certain hoses because of that, would have to order them..