Yukon River Ferry

That's pretty cool! The ferry sure didn't lower much from the weight of your truck and trailer. Was there as much current in the river as there appears? Did the ferry just take you straight across or did you travel some distance on the river? How much did it cost?

That's pretty cool! The ferry sure didn't lower much from the weight of your truck and trailer. Was there as much current in the river as there appears? Did the ferry just take you straight across or did you travel some distance on the river? How much did it cost?

there is some current so they aim for a spot upstream of the ferry . it is a straight shot across the river so no extensive travels, just the width of the river at that point.

they can carry tractor trailers on the ferry..one at a time.
in my case I think they put about 4 or 5 cars on the left, me with the trailer and I believe 1 smaller vehicle behind me.

cost is zero.. if you were to go to Dawson City from TOK Ak on the Top of the World Highway or vice versa, you have to cross that river on that ferry.. which is right at Dawson City YT.

Top-of-the-World-Highway-1-768x513.jpg

Last edited:
Can't beat free. Does the local government run the ferry or the provincial government?
pretty sure it is the Yukon Territory running the ferry.

My understanding is the Yukon Territory has about 40,000 people and 30,000 of them live in the vicinity of Whitehorse.

Ferry is on edge of Dawson City YT. whole lot of nothing up there.
nice place if you like to be alone.

We stayed one night in Otter Falls YT. I think the population was 3 people if you included us.

This was the "RV Park"... :)
place had a store and fuel pumps for diesel and gasoline...
seems like it was $2.49C a litre or about 7 bucks a gallon USD..

PXL_20230626_161215058.jpg

It appears you were in site 3 and had plenty of room to put your slides out without hitting your neighbor's slides. :)

Were there any hookups?
yeah, water and electric... think the resort itself charged a whopping $30 Canadian dollars. which is about 23 bucks American .
I think the guy who worked in the store lived in the Class C in the background..

That has to be a popular place in the summertime with people touring around Canada and Alaska.
people just pass by. it seemed like it was about 100 miles west of Whitehorse. Whitehorse probably gets most of the RV's
people are just passing by this place, it is a hole in the wall.