Wen 56477i Generator (4000 Running / 4800 Surge Watts) Review

ctechbob

Product Link: https://wenproducts.com/collections...eady-quiet-and-lightweight-with-fuel-shut-off

I noticed a few weeks ago that Wen appeared to have a new series of generators for sale. Looked like they were touted as 'quiet' and not 'super quiet' like the other bigger inverter units. I'd been looking for something to power up the RV when we start going longer distances and need to stop places that aren't in a park and I'd had my eye on one of their 3800-watt models. When this one came up for $512 shipped I figured why not. I have one of their little baby 1000-watt inverters and it has been a real trooper. It has 65 hours on it and runs great.

Looks like Wen has come out with a new line of inverter generators. I've got the baby 1000-watt inverter and I've used it a bunch over the years. Just picked up their 4000-watt / 4800-watt surge model for $512. Pretty good price for that output, although it is only a 110v output, no 240v...
bobistheoilguy.com

I finally got a chance today to give it a bit of a break in powering the camper since I needed to clean it, it's HOT outside and AC would be nice. I don't have a sufficient plug for running the AC available at the house.

No surprise, the unit powered up with a pull or two and immediately went to work. The power meter showed about 50% use, so I thought I would turn the electric water heater on. It shrugged that off as well. It did give it up when I turned on the microwave, but that was to be expected. I reset the output and went back to just running the AC, I didn't need hot water, and if we are traveling and need the microwave I can always use propane to heat the water.

I'm currently showing 4.2 hours on the meter and it is starting to blink that it is running out of fuel, that matches up to what they claim, which is 7 hours at 25% power output. So 4 out of 50% tracks.

I've already popped a magnetic dipstick in it and changed the oil once, as expected, the factory fill has a nice sheen to it. I'll probably let it go another 4 or 8 hours and change it again.

The readout shows, load %, Fuel %, and then you can cycle through voltage/frequency/current run time/overall run time.

Overall, for ~$512, I'm happy. It isn't Honda quiet, but I didn't expect it to be. The baby one I have is quieter, but it is also 1/4 the output.

At 50% running the AC (Fridge and lights as well, but the lights are LED and the fridge is 12v and only pulls 4-5 amps of 12v). There's nothing wrong with the display in these pictures, they must be using some multiplexing to drive the display and it is really goofy on camera. IRL it looks just fine.

IMG_20230702_135817917_HDR.jpg

100% with the water heater element kicked on.

IMG_20230702_135845765_HDR.jpg

And is has USB chargers just in case you fill all 20 in the trailer! :)

How quiet is it when it idles back in eco mode?

If it runs well and lives a long life, you can't beat the price. Honda would be 4X the cost.

And is has USB chargers just in case you fill all 20 in the trailer! :)

How quiet is it when it idles back in eco mode?

If it runs well and lives a long life, you can't beat the price. Honda would be 4X the cost.

Lol @ USB Ports. You can never have too many!

Good question. With the AC running in the trailer and the unit on the ground just behind the rear bumper, you can't really hear it. Certainly can't hear it once you go through the house door in the garage with it sitting just outside the garage door with it open.

It certainly isn't Honda quiet, although I believe the Little Brother 56125i I own is, but it also isn't Honda priced.

I have an old-school DB meter kicking around somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and take some measurements.