Watson Mill Bridge State Park - Comer, GA

ctechbob

Stay Dates - December 15-17, 2023
Site#: 14
Site Type: Pull Through
Full Hookups: No (Water+Power - Dump Station)
Bob Rating: 7/10
Would Stay Again?: Probably Not*

This state park is someplace I've been many times but never camped. I wasn't even aware there was a campground attached to the park growing up, but we'd splashed in the shoals many times. As this was a 'get away from home' weekend, we weren't planning on doing anything spectacular other than doing a small amount of hiking, napping, and just generally being out of the house so we didn't feel obligated to do chores or the like. The park has many nice trails and a few pieces of history to look at. It also has a separate campground for people who want to bring along their horses and take in the miles of horse trails on site.

The campground is small and only has a total of 21 sites with well over half of them being pull-through 'edge sites' and very nicely done. (The campground sits on far up on the bank of the river, so the sites on the outer edge face the ravine the river has cut over the centuries.) The other sites are clustered around the center of the campground and are also mostly pull-through, but some of them appear to be very tight. Electric appears to be 30a only, but dual 30 amp on the pedestal, so bring your adapters. If I have one complaint about the park it is that the water pressure is pretty low, 25psi according to the gauge on my pressure regulator. I would consider that the minimum from here on out. If I come across a site with lower pressure I'm filling my tank and using the pump.

The dump station is located in the middle of the park, next to the bathhouse, so depending on which site you are in, you might have to circle around to get to it. Annoyingly, it also has about a 4" concrete berm around it, so you get to play 'milk the hose' when you are done dumping. Big rigs might be a little uneven as well, as the dump spot is sort of on the crest of a small hill, so you might be pointed slightly downhill if you have a long rig.

The 'probably not' for staying here again, just comes from it being too close to the house, and not much in the area to do. However, if we had a group of friends with us, and it was summer where we could play in the water and cook out, then we'd consider it.

Not my video, but a well-done overview of the campground. His lense does make the sites appear slightly bigger than they are though. Still, they are fairly easy to get in and out of.

Campsite #14 from the entrance

IMG_20231215_151207112_HDR.jpg

Campsite #14 from a walking trail

IMG_20231215_151802111_HDR.jpg

Longest Covered Bridge in GA

IMG_20231215_153322474_HDR.jpg

Hydro Plant Ruins

IMG_20231215_152548001.jpg

IMG_20231215_153835396_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231215_153837422_HDR.jpg

Doggo approves of being out in nature.

IMG_20231215_154030866.jpg

Last edited:
The history of the site makes the trip worth it. I love those types of old ruins. It's fun to survey the area and try to imagine what it looked like and how they used what was there.