University of Nebraska highway guardrail test vs. EVs

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
The University of Nebraska did highway guardrail testing with EVs that have a low center of gravity and dense battery packs. The results show highway guardrails aren't up to the task of stopping EVs when impacts are at a higher angle than a glancing blow.

This makes me wonder if any guardrails were meant to stop an RV, which can certainly be heavier than an EV?

safety people are always thinking.. " if we can only save one life"

But I reminisce back to these and wonder what the safety Zazi's would think of them

1 cbale.jpg

Maybe Im weird or something but in 53 years of driving and 4 million plus miles I have failed to hit a guard rail. I do understand that there are places that really need them but I thought the idea was to stay off of them.

Maybe Im weird or something but in 53 years of driving and 4 million plus miles I have failed to hit a guard rail. I do understand that there are places that really need them but I thought the idea was to stay off of them.
You obviously don't use your cell phone enough when you are driving. :)

safety people are always thinking.. " if we can only save one life"

But I reminisce back to these and wonder what the safety Zazi's would think of them

View attachment 2324
Those were everywhere in the area I grew up in. Looking at what little street view there is of the area, most of them have been replaced.