Trailer bearing grease guide

GON

Came across this article and thought to share the link. With the knowledge on this board- the article may contain erroneous information, but I thought worth posting.

most tapered wheel bearings just need a NLGI grade 2 hi temp ( aka wheel bearing ) grease.
No sense in making it any more difficult than that.

Lippert is nice enough to tell you what grease they ship in their axles.

1710207198973.jpg

I settled on Lucas Red n Tacky, just because it was something I could get easily, locally, and was available in the small tubes that fit in my home gamer style small gun.

I haven't decided when I'm going to tear apart my axles to clean and repack them since they are the EZ Lube variety and I've already pumped them full, which is a massive waste of grease, but I figured it was better than nothing.

Lippert is nice enough to tell you what grease they ship in their axles.

View attachment 2417

I settled on Lucas Red n Tacky, just because it was something I could get easily, locally, and was available in the small tubes that fit in my home gamer style small gun.

I haven't decided when I'm going to tear apart my axles to clean and repack them since they are the EZ Lube variety and I've already pumped them full, which is a massive waste of grease, but I figured it was better than nothing.
The article had two items that triggered thoughts on the subject.

(1) was the moly grease. My (former) 2007 F350 2wd required the front wheel bearings be packed, and Ford directed a moly wheel bearing grease- why? Was the weight of the engine a reason Ford wanted a moly grease. I will say the moly grease is significantly more work to pack than non moly wheel bearing grease.

(2) high temperature grease- are trailers being used in hot temperatures, especially in the South West USA in the summer at interstate speeds- a candidate for high temperature wheel bearing grease?

On a supplemental note- Lisle (and others) make a wheel bearing grease tool for forcing grease through the bearing, as an alternate to hand packing. The moly grease didn't work well with the Lisle tool, and I ended up having to hand pack the moly grease.

A 2007 without cartridge bearings?! I didn't know anyone used taper bearings in light duty trucks in that time period.
Yes, on the 2005-2007 F250/F350 RWD the front wheel bearings require packing for maintenance, or when replacing the front rotor. This is not required on the 4WD Super Duty of the same years, only RWD. It would not surprise me if this is required on RWD Super Duty through 2016, I just had no reason to check 2008-2016.

Yes, on the 2005-2007 F250/F350 RWD the front wheel bearings require packing for maintenance, or when replacing the front rotor. This is not required on the 4WD Super Duty of the same years, only RWD. It would not surprise me if this is required on RWD Super Duty through 2016, I just had no reason to check 2008-2016.
Just checked RockAuto- yes RWD/2WD Super Dutys through 2016 use front bearing and race.

NLGI2 at the recommended service intervals or less. I went 3k miles long last summer and burned a bearing but caught it when I did the hubs.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
NLGI2 at the recommended service intervals or less. I went 3k miles long last summer and burned a bearing but caught it when I did the hubs.
Azjeff, your wheel bearing problem was most likely caused because of something else, if it failed after 3000 miles..

No, I went 3000 past service interval of 12000. Just wasn't paying attention and got away with only replacing a bearing at home instead of a breakdown.

No, I went 3000 past service interval of 12000. Just wasn't paying attention and got away with only replacing a bearing at home instead of a breakdown.

its such a conditional thing, it is hard to say what a good service interval is for wheel bearings.
some people only tow a couple hundred miles a year, they probably dont ever need to pack the bearings..
like me, my trailers went to Alaska and back last year, plus its been to NC twice and back and forth here in Fla between inlaws and my house ( 250 miles each way on that) and I popped the bearing covers and the grease still looks good.. ( red and tacky)