Towing a small trailer in a 40MPH headwind

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Today I towed this small trailer 800 miles from Iowa to Colorado.

camphoto_1804928587.jpeg

In these gusty headwinds:

IMG_4634.jpg

I averaged about 10.5 MPG over 800 miles. When we tow our 5th wheel in little to no wind we get 9.6 MPG. I towed either 65 or 70 the entire distance because I was trying to keep the ETGs below 1000F. A 40 MPH headwind and a flat front trailer equals a lot of fuel burn.

When I got to I-25 and headed south, the wind was straight across the interstate. There were several trucks blown over. I came up on a truck in the right lane that had a serious case of the wiggles. I hung back for a while, but decided to pass him, so I hustled by. When I got about a car length in front of him, his entire truck got blown over into my lane and he almost went into the ditch. Never hang out on the downwind side of trucks.

Would the truck overheat?
Not with me driving it, because I don't think everything is a race :)

You sure could end up on your top in the ditch though. The wind is ferocious with a tall and long sided trailer.

Today I towed this small trailer 800 miles from Iowa to Colorado.

View attachment 2557
In these gusty headwinds:

View attachment 2558

I averaged about 10.5 MPG over 800 miles. When we tow our 5th wheel in little to no wind we get 9.6 MPG. I towed either 65 or 70 the entire distance because I was trying to keep the ETGs below 1000F. A 40 MPH headwind and a flat front trailer equals a lot of fuel burn.

When I got to I-25 and headed south, the wind was straight across the interstate. There were several trucks blown over. I came up on a truck in the right lane that had a serious case of the wiggles. I hung back for a while, but decided to pass him, so I hustled by. When I got about a car length in front of him, his entire truck got blown over into my lane and he almost went into the ditch. Never hang out on the downwind side of trucks.

Wayne, I have a 7x14 enclosed utility trailer.. thing is the most unaerodynamic trailer I have ever towed. I don't get much better fuel economy towing it than I do the 5th wheel..

re fuel economy when towing, weight makes the biggest difference under about 50 mph, wind resistance is the biggest factor over 50.

wind resistance is the biggest factor over 50.
Yeah, drag increases as the square of the increase in speed. If your speed goes from 55 to 75, the drag roughly doubles. If you double your speed, the drag increases 4x, you get their twice as fast, but your engine does 4x as much work overcoming the drag. You don't get 1/2 the fuel economy, because the system isn't 100% efficient.

Reactions: GON
Yeah, drag increases as the square of the increase in speed. If your speed goes from 55 to 75, the drag roughly doubles. If you double your speed, the drag increases 4x, you get their twice as fast, but your engine does 4x as much work overcoming the drag. You don't get 1/2 the fuel economy, because the system isn't 100% efficient.
Wayne, this pdf from Cummins breaks down fuel economy better than just about any articleI read on the subject regarding towing large loads. https://www.cummins.com/sites/default/files/cummins_secrets_of_better_fuel_economy.pdf

I looked through it also. You 5th wheel guys need to close up that big gap between the truck and trailer and put aero skirts down the sides.

Liked the chart that showed driver satisfaction (power) vs owner satisfaction (mpg).

I looked through it also. You 5th wheel guys need to close up that big gap between the truck and trailer and put aero skirts down the sides.

Liked the chart that showed driver satisfaction (power) vs owner satisfaction (mpg).
figure when there is a 40 mph headwind the incremental subtleties of improving fuel economy got thrown out the window. :)

Since I spent my adult working life in a fleet environment, I have always found it interesting the difference in how they think of
vehicle maintenance and fuel costs versus how an individual owner or a vehicle will. The fleet also has a much better picture of what works, and what works but isn't worth the cost or effort or what is completely useless compared to the average individual, no matter how astute the individual is.

Wayne, that trailer is very clean and looks well cared for and not exposed to salt.

Not that it matters, but if you were to sell that trailer in the greater Denver area i suspect it would sell for well north of $4k USD.

Wayne, that trailer is very clean and looks well cared for and not exposed to salt.
It's two years old and reportedly was only used twice and was stored inside. I found it for sale in eastern Iowa and I was going to make a trip there anyway, so it didn't really cost me anything to get it here.

Not that it matters, but if you were to sell that trailer in the greater Denver area i suspect it would sell for well north of $4k USD.
I paid $2.5k for it so anyone that wants it for >$4k can come get it.

It's two years old and reportedly was only used twice and was stored inside. I found it for sale in eastern Iowa and I was going to make a trip there anyway, so it didn't really cost me anything to get it here.
I paid $2.5k for it .

This 2017 Doolittle with a salvage title (not rebuilt title) sold on 17 MAR 2024 in Sioux Falls SD at auction for $3600 including fees. Of course, one has to do the work and invest the time to convert the title to rebuilt, so the trailer can be registered. And there is cost involved, and a lot of time.
resizer.jpg

This Wells Cargo salvage with front end damage went to auction in Denver this morning. I suspect the winning bid with fees is about $4400 out the door. And of course, all the time and money to repair, make road worthy, and convert the title to rebuilt.

resizer.jpg