This folks may be what you'd call a pickle

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
This looks like a road that @dnewton3 would pull his camper on, but his camper is a bit shorter so there are no problems.
5th-wheel-stuck.jpg

Source

This is not the kind of pickle I was expecting to see after your dump buddy post.

This one seems like quite an expensive pickle. The question is, are they going to the campsite, or coming back from it?

Sorry that happened to the RVer. Would like to see how the recovery was accomplished, and the cost.

Sorry that happened to the RVer. Would like to see how the recovery was accomplished, and the cost.
I dunno, that just looks like poor decision-making to me. How hard would it have been to drop the trailer and do a recon run of the road before you went into an unknown?

Same reason I won't take ours up to the Black Rock Mountain State Park here in GA. The road to get up there is just more than I want to deal with and the campsites are a real mother to get into. It is a pretty campground, but not worth the effort, and that is a paved road. I drove up it sans trailer and decided that it was too much. If I were going that far offroad with the pictured rig, I would certainly have a good look before committing.

Wayne, that photo has been around for awhile.. I used to think it was photoshopped but plenty of people have said it really happened. I know the GPS will send you the wrong way and if you aren't smart enough to realize it before you totally commit yourself , you can screw yourself..

any of you ever been on the Road to the Sun in Glacier NP? How many signs along the way saying NO VEHICLES MORE THAN 22 FEET LONG or NO RV'S. We were up there, the traffic was slow and there were 2 boneheads pulling trailers up there.. good thing was Armed US Forest Service Law Enforcement was waiting for them when they got to lower elevations.

Last edited:
I dunno, that just looks like poor decision-making to me. How hard would it have been to drop the trailer and do a recon run of the road before you went into an unknown?

Same reason I won't take ours up to the Black Rock Mountain State Park here in GA. The road to get up there is just more than I want to deal with and the campsites are a real mother to get into. It is a pretty campground, but not worth the effort, and that is a paved road. I drove up it sans trailer and decided that it was too much. If I were going that far offroad with the pictured rig, I would certainly have a good look before committing.

I look for the NO TRUCKs signs.. and low clearance , no overlength vehicles warnings.. figure if genuine commercial vehicle can make it, I can make it.. for instance if you see a real tour bus coming on those roads, you are good.

but yeah, I try to look at campsite reviews ahead of time because some places its just to tight for me to want to deal with..

let me throw one other thing in here about oversized vehicles.. When we were in Denali National Park last year, no vehicles are allowed past the Visitor Center... you have to take the bus tour or walk or ride a bicycle, the tour bus ride is in School Bus type vehicles.. We rode one of the school bus tours, 15 miles up into the park, then they have a small turn around that amounts to a 5 point U turn, so it is a tough turn around for a school bus at the end of the line inside the Denali Park.

one the way out, a real tour bus must have missed his turn at the Visitor Center and was halfway up the road to the end of the line. They were screwed..

Wayne, that photo has been around for awhile.. I used to think it was photoshopped but plenty of people have said it really happened. I know the GPS will send you the wrong way and if you aren't smart enough to realize it before you totally commit yourself , you can screw yourself..

any of you ever been on the Road to the Sun in Glacier NP? How many signs along the way saying NO VEHICLES MORE THAN 22 FEET LONG or NO RV'S. We were up there, the traffic was slow and there were 2 boneheads pulling trailers up there.. good thing was Armed US Forest Service Law Enforcement was waiting for them when they got to lower elevations.
Yep, we've been on that road several times with our 2018 Chevy 3500 short box. It was 19'6" long and that was plenty long for that road. Our dually is 22' long and it will be a chore to drive it on that road. I'd do it, but you really gotta pay attention.

This looks like a road that @dnewton3 would pull his camper on, but his camper is a bit shorter so there are no problems.
That would be a nightmare.

I've pulled thru some rough areas, but always been careful to know the limits of the roads prior to the entry. And, I also fear being a nuisance to others; once you get stuck, you impede the progress of others. That would just double down on the stress for me.

... any of you ever been on the Road to the Sun in Glacier NP? How many signs along the way saying NO VEHICLES MORE THAN 22 FEET LONG or NO RV'S. We were up there, the traffic was slow and there were 2 boneheads pulling trailers up there.. good thing was Armed US Forest Service Law Enforcement was waiting for them when they got to lower elevations.

I've been on that road on a MC; it's tight for sure. Beautiful experience.

Seeing something like that reminds me of a few scenes from the movie RV. Like the one where he gets stuck on top of the mountain lol. Wonder how they ever got that out guess they probably had to lift it or clear some serious ground to move that thing. I do like that truck though lol.

All I can say for this picture is... play dumb games, win dumb prizes.

I can't believe you would pull a camper that big down a road like that. Not sure what they were thinking.

Just my $0.02
sometimes people make a wrong turn and just keep on going.
depending totally on a GPS is good for causing that type of thing.

I was following our GPS to a campground and it told me to turn onto a side road and as soon as I made the turn I knew it was wrong. Then I had to turn my rig around where there weren't much room.. I think some people don't recognize the problem with their prospective route until it is too late.

The scenery has a southwest look to it, the situation doesn't surprise me a bit. Many people here, most maybe, think staying in a campground is the stupidest thing ever. I can't believe where I've seen people taking big expensive RVs including coaches. Mainly because many of them have toy haulers like the one pictured and the idea is to go where you can drive your toys and have a big party with your friends. Big groups is common. They don't travel, they go to the high country to get out of the heat or go to the dunes from Thanksgiving to Easter. A reason for the attitude about campgrounds is in the west there's so much public land with open access. Arizona is 85% public land and most of it you can camp on. Pennsylvania were we came from is over 85% private land and the public land has very few places where you can dry camp so it's just a different experience.

Last July 4th we were invited to camp with some people in the White Mountains in the eastern part of the state. Got to where we were to leave the paved road and drive 1/2 mile on dirt to discover they changed their minds and the new campsite was 10 miles back a rough washboarded road. It took over 1 hour to go the 10 miles and I was steaming. Then every day there was some reason to drive back out to go somewhere or take a driving tour. It was a beautiful location in a high country meadow until some people pulled in across the meadow and got their toys out. Will never happen again. Just a different way of doing camping.