The Nanny State is at it again...

my son drove an 18 wheeler for awhile.
He drove Kenworth T680 which was equipped with some sort of intelligent braking system.
This truck had an intermittent fault in that system whereupon it would slam on the brakes for no apparent reason
and literally take a truck governed at 64 mph while running on cruise control and take it all the way down to
a slow speed with no input from the driver making any difference.
My son had it happen quite a few times and it scared the $#i+ out of him every time that truck did it..
not only were they unable to repair it but they weren't allowed to disable the system
. Like he said, you try driving 12 hours a day and not be able to use cruise control without fearing
the brakes will slam on at any moment..

I can't for the life of me see how something like that is going to function properly..
making your vehicle dependent on sensors and tying it into the braking system doesn't sound like a good idea..

184611263_504532760897687_532034296905007839_n.jpg

Reactions: wlk
This is the text of the NHTSA rule:

On page 189 is where the address "false activation". The rule doesn't say there can't be false activations. It says if there is a false activation that the braking force can't be more than normal braking. WHAT? That's gotta be about the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. How would the system know it's a false activation and not to brake like it's an emergency? If it knew it was a false activation, then it wouldn't brake at all. Yeesh people.

This is the text of the NHTSA rule:

On page 189 is where the address "false activation". The rule doesn't say there can't be false activations. It says if there is a false activation that the braking force can't be more than normal braking. WHAT? That's gotta be about the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. How would the system know it's a false activation and not to brake like it's an emergency? If it knew it was a false activation, then it wouldn't brake at all. Yeesh people.
Wayne, you live by the sensor, you die by the sensor.

the USN realized they had become too dependent on GPS navigation and went back to stressing Celestial Navigation for a couple reasons... because you can't be totally dependent on electronics because they don't always work like they think they will.. probably why I still like a map... it makes me pay attention..

Quote:"You know, I would equate it to blindly following the navigation system in your car: If you don't have an understanding of north/south/east/west, or perhaps where you're going, it takes you to places you didn't intend to go," he says.

my son drove an 18 wheeler for awhile.
He drove Kenworth T680 which was equipped with some sort of intelligent braking system.
This truck had an intermittent fault in that system whereupon it would slam on the brakes for no apparent reason
and literally take a truck governed at 64 mph while running on cruise control and take it all the way down to
a slow speed with no input from the driver making any difference.
My son had it happen quite a few times and it scared the $#i+ out of him every time that truck did it..
not only were they unable to repair it but they weren't allowed to disable the system
. Like he said, you try driving 12 hours a day and not be able to use cruise control without fearing
the brakes will slam on at any moment..

I can't for the life of me see how something like that is going to function properly..
making your vehicle dependent on sensors and tying it into the braking system doesn't sound like a good idea..

View attachment 2605
I drove one with the same crap on it and the one I drove would do it about 50% of the time when you went under an overpass or had a guardrail in a curve. I got to where I wouldn’t use the cruise control at all. I told our safety man that if he didn’t think I could drive the truck on my own he needed to put someone else in it. I drove 14 years 500+ miles per day 5 and sometimes 6 days a week without any incident. They are Nadering people out of trucking. There is no way they can program that system to take care of any situation. This is one of the major reasons I retired early. Regulations and BS.