Spacious Skys Savannah Oaks - Savannah, GA

ctechbob

Stay Dates - April 18-21, 2024
Site#: 56
Site Type: Pull Through
Full Hookups: Yes (Including Cable TV) (Dump station available for the 4-5 sites that don't have sewer hookup)
Wifi - Yes, but I'd only give it a 3/10, bring your own connection if you want to do serious internet-ing.
Bob Rating: 7/10
Would Stay Again?: Maybe (If we had a reason to be in/near Savannah, we certainly would, otherwise we'd try and be closer to the beaches)

From what I could tell from my limited research, it looks as though this campground may have been operating under a different name fairly recently and was bought by a group that operates the 'Spacious Skies' chain of campgrounds. It looks as though they are in the process of converting it from mostly a 'long stay' facility to more of a short term campground, evidenced by a few things.

All of the sites I looked at had a power meter attached to the electrical post.
Several obvious 'long term' renters that had been shoved off to a corner of the park.

I didn't get a chance to speak to anyone about it, but I suspect they are getting ready to go through a pretty big electrical upgrade, they had a massive stack of new boxes in the camp store that looked like they were being staged to be installed.

All that being said.

It looks like they are putting the effort into upgrading things and from the looks of it, they are doing a decent job of it, it will just take some time. The wife and I both like the fact that they didn't come in and chop down all the trees, which makes it a much calmer stay in our minds. It does make the layout of the grounds a little haphazard as you sometimes have to pull between trees to get to your site, but that isn't a big deal. Our site was right next to the road, so noise-sensitive people beware, it is pretty highly trafficked and could be bothersome. There are spaces further away. There are plenty of trash cans available throughout, so you don't have to haul things up to the main dumpsters.

There is river and boat access that I believe are free to use, although we didn't see anyone boating from the launch/dock.

Dog park is new and has a decent amount of space for your doggo to be off leash in.

The limited interaction with the staff was pleasant and accomodating.

We had no problems with water or power while we were there, although the pedestal is quite frankly, a bit of a horror show. There was also no breaker on our outlet, so just ram it in and hope for the best. My surge suppressor reported no wiring issues.

There was a mass of grey Romex just hanging out beside our site. No idea if it was live or not, I just wadded it up and shoved it out of the way.

Our site was an end site and a bit strung out with where the fire pit and picnic table were located. We didn't use either as we were mostly gone all day, and it was due to the fact our site was an end pull-through and narrow to begin with.

On to the pictures.

Site #56 is nestled between some large trees, note how the fire pit and table are stretched way out from the camper. Just not a lot of spaces between the trees for them.

IMG_20240419_120202836_HDR.jpg

Site #56 from the backside. Trash cans are available to the right. These are placed all throughout the park for convenience.

IMG_20240419_120108143_HDR.jpg

Electricians beware. Incoming gnarly power pedestal. Also, the sewer hookup is a long way away from the power/water pole. I did need to use both sections of my hose to get there. You can just see it in this picture, way off the nose of the camper. You can also see the mass of grey Romex on the stump.

IMG_20240420_112609753_HDR.jpg

Dog Park Humor

IMG_20240419_113920762_HDR.jpg

Dog Park Doggin:

IMG_20240419_113940685_HDR.jpg

Boat Dock:

IMG_20240419_115021962_HDR.jpg

Check-in area with camp store in the background. Lots of nicely paved space to do your check-in business.

IMG_20240419_173236211_HDR.jpg

Site Map:

1713914934443.jpg

Last edited:

Stay Dates - April 18-21, 2024
Site#: 56
Site Type: Pull Through
Full Hookups: Yes (Including Cable TV) (Dump station available for the 4-5 sites that don't have sewer hookup)
Wifi - Yes, but I'd only give it a 3/10, bring your own connection if you want to do serious internet-ing.
Bob Rating: 7/10
Would Stay Again?: Maybe (If we had a reason to be in/near Savannah, we certainly would, otherwise we'd try and be closer to the beaches)

From what I could tell from my limited research, it looks as though this campground may have been operating under a different name fairly recently and was bought by a group that operates the 'Spacious Skies' chain of campgrounds. It looks as though they are in the process of converting it from mostly a 'long stay' facility to more of a short term campground, evidenced by a few things.

All of the sites I looked at had a power meter attached to the electrical post.
Several obvious 'long term' renters that had been shoved off to a corner of the park.

I didn't get a chance to speak to anyone about it, but I suspect they are getting ready to go through a pretty big electrical upgrade, they had a massive stack of new boxes in the camp store that looked like they were being staged to be installed.

All that being said.

It looks like they are putting the effort into upgrading things and from the looks of it, they are doing a decent job of it, it will just take some time. The wife and I both like the fact that they didn't come in and chop down all the trees, which makes it a much calmer stay in our minds. It does make the layout of the grounds a little haphazard as you sometimes have to pull between trees to get to your site, but that isn't a big deal. Our site was right next to the road, so noise-sensitive people beware, it is pretty highly trafficked and could be bothersome. There are spaces further away. There are plenty of trash cans available throughout, so you don't have to haul things up to the main dumpsters.

There is river and boat access that I believe are free to use, although we didn't see anyone boating from the launch/dock.

Dog park is new and has a decent amount of space for your doggo to be off leash in.

The limited interaction with the staff was pleasant and accomodating.

We had no problems with water or power while we were there, although the pedestal is quite frankly, a bit of a horror show. There was also no breaker on our outlet, so just ram it in and hope for the best. My surge suppressor reported no wiring issues.

There was a mass of grey Romex just hanging out beside our site. No idea if it was live or not, I just wadded it up and shoved it out of the way.

Our site was an end site and a bit strung out with where the fire pit and picnic table were located. We didn't use either as we were mostly gone all day, and it was due to the fact our site was an end pull-through and narrow to begin with.

On to the pictures.

Site #56 is nestled between some large trees, note how the fire pit and table are stretched way out from the camper. Just not a lot of spaces between the trees for them.

View attachment 2589

Site #56 from the backside. Trash cans are available to the right. These are placed all throughout the park for convenience.

View attachment 2590

Electricians beware. Incoming gnarly power pedestal. Also, the sewer hookup is a long way away from the power/water pole. I did need to use both sections of my hose to get there. You can just see it in this picture, way off the nose of the camper. You can also see the mass of grey Romex on the stump.

View attachment 2591

Dog Park Humor

View attachment 2592

Dog Park Doggin:

View attachment 2593

Boat Dock:

View attachment 2594

Check-in area with camp store in the background. Lots of nicely paved space to do your check-in business.

some RV parks lose control of their park by having too many permanent transients.. the more intelligent parks that allow that tend to shunt those permanent transients off to one side, so the people passing thru don't have to deal with what sometimes amounts to an episode of Trailer Park boys.. and at a certain point what on paper is supposed to be a RV park is in fact a Mobile Home park.. and they aren't going anywhere.. which might be where that Spacious Skies park is going with metered lots..

also worth saying Georgia is becoming the new Floriduh..

I suspect that electrical box might not meet code! :)

The park looks relaxing and a good place to go for a while. We have stayed North of Savannah at Palmetto Bluff. That area is mostly opulent and we only stayed there because someone else was paying for it. It's very nice, but at $800/night, it's not happening.

Last edited:
This is the neighbor's box. Ours wasn't much different other than the plug was installed the right way round.

1714011841097.jpg

Well, to their credit, they worked, didn't get hot, and my suppressor reported them as being wired correctly, so....there's that at least! :)