Sasquatch Farm - South Pittsburgh

ctechbob

Stay Dates: October 20-22, 2023
Site#: 31
Site Type: Back In
Full Hookup: Yes
Power Avail: 50/30 (Believe there are 15 amp sockets as well, can't swear to it, forgot to look)
Bob Rating: 9/10
Wife Rating: 8/10
Would Stay Again: Yes
Dog Friendly: 100% yes, and they have an on-site dog park (that we didn't get a chance to visit)
Propane on site: Yes
Store on site: Yes (Camping essentials as well as adult beverages)
AT&T Cell Service: Decent (Considering you're out in the middle of nowhere)
Park Wifi?: Yes, Free**

**When checking in, they will give you the information for the WiFi, and then proceeded to tell me 'We have fiber internet here, stream all you want'. Indeed, at the site I got 40mb up and down, which is plenty for streaming what we wanted to. Don't know where the transmitters are and there were a fair few campers around, so that is a really good speed for all of that.

A not-great video I shot pulling in to the grounds and up to our site, which is almost in the very back of the campground. There are only 2-3 sites past ours as I recall:

IMG_20231020_145943999_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231020_145949804_BURST000_COVER.jpg

This is a fairly new park (Est 2020) and it shows as a few rough edges, but not rough enough to say that we wouldn't stay there again. You can tell that they are actively improving the park and I have no doubt that in another year or so they'll have it 100%. Mainly this comes from the rough rocks that the sites are laid out with. They have piles of finer gravel throughout the park, so I have an idea that this isn't going to be an issue in the near future. That is the only thing I can say that is even remotely bad about the place. On to the good.

Super friendly staff, nice well stocked store on site. Wood is delivered right to your site once you purchase it. It is a gated park, so not just anyone can drive through, and I don't think you have to worry about people sneaking in, the property is on a mountain ridge with deep gorges on either side, if they're walking through all of that to get my stuff, they can have it.

A few notes:

I saw a Brinkley 5er for the first time in the flesh. Even the wife noticed it and said it 'looks cool'. Indeed. Goals.

You are on the top of a mountain. It is breezy at times.

Take the temperature of South Pittsburgh and subtract 6-8 degrees. The valley is a good bit warmer than the top of the ridge.

The road to the campground off of the main road (Browns Trace Road) is pretty curvy, but paved, smooth, and wide enough that it isn't a problem to get a big 5er back there)

They mention on their park map that if you are coming in from the east (Up through South Pittsburgh/RT 156) you might have issues if you have a longer/heavier rig. Heed this warning and go the western route. We made it without a problem, but we're 29 feet, there are a couple of hairpin turns that could be a real problem and the slope is no joke either. You'll need some grunt to get up the hill. The western approach is a cakewalk though, very straight and much flatter.

Either bring everything you need with you, or buy it at the camp store. There's no 'quick trip into town'. You're looking at a 20-30 min drive to get back into South Pittsburg, and a little more than that if you need to go back to I24 and the Walmart and stores that are up that direction. (Kimball, TN). It is great if you're looking for the desolation of being away from everything, notsomuch if you need something on a whim.

There are several hiking trails on site, we explored one of the waterfalls, sadly it has been pretty dry in the southeast and there wasn't much water flowing, but the path does take you past another view:

IMG_20231020_134615174_HDR.jpg

Our site was excellent. Pretty spacious, and opens up in the rear to a nice sized field for primitive campers, although I don't think I saw anyone doing the tenting thing all weekend. Nice place to walk the pooch if they need to go out in the middle of the night. I could have used my leveling ramps as the way we parked I was just ever so slightly off level left/right but it wasn't bad enough for me to fix it.

IMG_20231020_172341883_HDR.jpg

Hookups are all new and in excellent shape. Only gripe is one I've aired before on other sites, the sewer hole is too far up in the air, but, it is what it is, it happens all over the place. I could have parked right up against the wood surround and that would have helped, but ohh well. (Incidentally I did a newbie mistake leaving today. Got the whole way home and realized that I left my Camco clear elbow and rubber adapter up there *sigh*)

IMG_20231020_172410498.jpg

IMG_20231020_172419578.jpg

All-in-all, another good stay, another thumbs up, and another place we will likely stay again. Probably next spring as there are some places we want to kayak down in the valley.

Last edited:
As an update to the driving tips.

This small section of 156 is the steepest climb you'll encounter. Two hairpin curves and a 10.3% grade. Bring your boost and low gears. I know it isn't 'Rocky Mountain' steep, but it is still a good little climb, made more difficult by having to slow to a crawl around the hairpins and then get moving again.

1698113764883.png

Last edited:
Two hairpin curves and a 10.3% grade.
That's steep! There are no places I know of in Colorado on the major roadways that are that steep. I do know of a 12% grade on Rist Canyon Road, which also involves a couple sharp hair-pin turns. I don't think I'd want to pull our trailer through those or at least would think very carefully about it before attempting.

Got the whole way home and realized that I left my Camco clear elbow and rubber adapter up there *sigh*)
We left our surge protector hanging on the power box one time. We got about two miles down the interstate and the camp host pulled up beside us with our surge protector hanging out his window. We were thankful they were cool enough to bring it to us.

We left our surge protector hanging on the power box one time. We got about two miles down the interstate and the camp host pulled up beside us with our surge protector hanging out his window. We were thankful they were cool enough to bring it to us.
Yea, that would be a pricey mistake. I just emailed them to let them know it was there and to either chuck it, sell it, or use it. $25 isn't worth the time to mess with. Already got the replacements in the trailer.

That's steep! There are no places I know of in Colorado on the major roadways that are that steep. I do know of a 12% grade on Rist Canyon Road, which also involves a couple sharp hair-pin turns. I don't think I'd want to pull our trailer through those or at least would think very carefully about it before attempting.

Yea, I knew it would be a climb, but as we approached I was second-guessing my choice just a little. (Not that there was any way to turn around, it was make it or not) No worries though, we climbed right on up with no problems. Picked up about 20 degrees in engine temp and about 15 on the trans. I was surprised it wasn't more.

When I seen the pictures I’m like that’s not Pittsburgh lol. Then I realized you were talking about a different Pittsburgh haha 😂. If Pittsburgh were this nice I’d be there all the time haha.

When I seen the pictures I’m like that’s not Pittsburgh lol. Then I realized you were talking about a different Pittsburgh haha 😂. If Pittsburgh were this nice I’d be there all the time haha.

Lol, I grew up in Indiana, PA (About 50 miles east of Pittsburg). The scenery of South Pittsburg looks a whole lot like where I grew up.

This is from near where I grew up, taken a few summers ago:

IMG_20210730_141039526_BURST000_COVER.jpg