RV storage lot rental- a few comments

GON

Rented a RV storage space in Arizona yesterday. The storage landlord appeared to be a larger, well processed organization. The organization had vacancies, which was something I was surprised to find. The hours were 6am-10pm to enter the lot, instead of the typical 24 hours access. I sense multiple reasons for that. I also liked that 120v power came with each space, I assume the amp flow is very low- power a trickle charger but not a heater, etc. Rent for a covered 12x40 space was $185. I though the price was fair.

On a slightly negative note, they assigned me a space that actually had very minimal cover. It was a end space, that also was at risk to being hit be trailers entering and exiting the facility. I am glad I was at the facility at 8am and saw how bad the space was, and was able to change spaces after being required to send a picture of the concern. The change of space required a new 14 page contract. I suspect nobody wanted that space, and they tried to "pawn it off" on a uneducated renter. The new space provides not only top cover, but limited supplemental side cover but the massive RVs on each side of the space.

I am storing two Mercedes in the space as I prepare for my currently unknown next destination. I may rent another space or two for trailers.

Although I highlighted the concerns, overall very happy with the storage company.

The first picture is the so called "covered space" that I rejected. The picture with the whited Mercedes actually has a blue Mercedes behind it, just hard to see. One other note, I am paying vehicle storage insurance to USAA. But the insurance appears worthless, as they only will pay a claim if there is a loan/lien on the vehicles. I don't have any loans/ liens- so if the vehicles are stolen, I am simply out of luck.

open space.jpg
open space.jpg
PXL_20240406_210654697.jpg
PXL_20240406_211157694.jpg

Are you doing anything proactive to keep rodents out of the engine bays?
Not at this time.... any recommendations? I am very fluent at rodent control, but this environment poses challenges I can't quite solve. We owned a home on a bit of marshy land and bordering a very small lake. Had mice for years regardless of what I did. The solution was a massive amount of rat (not mice) glue traps with a dalup of chunky peanut butter. That worked but required continual monitoring of the traps. Years later, I did a massive array around the home of baited mouse bait stations. That greatly reduced the mice caught in the rat traps.

Not sure I want to do peanut butter glue traps on vehicles I can't monitor. Not sure on bait stations either, where the mice eat the bait, and die deep in the vehicle. I simply don't know a solution as these vehicles are 1500 +/- from me.....

A friend had a ground squirrel or pack rat do $1500 damage underhood on a Tundra he kept parked outside his house and didn't use much. The mechanic recommended a product called Rid-A-Rat that's an LED strobe light. He put one under the hood and never had another problem. ridarat.com It looks like your cars are a long ways from ground cover that will help. We've been using Peppermint or (spearmint?) oil infused cottonballs in our trailer at the storage lot and it seems to be working and we're in an edge lot with vegetation on the other side of the wire fence.

My boss stored his class C motorhome outside of our rural r&d shop one winter without any countermeasures and a pack rat chewed every wire and hose completely off to the connectors under the hood.

My boss stored his class C motorhome outside of our rural r&d shop one winter without any countermeasures and a pack rat chewed every wire and hose completely off to the connectors under the hood.
How much did that cost to fix?

They had it towed to an RV place in town and they said around $5k. He had it towed back and found a mobile hispanic mechanic who did it for around $2200 I think. It was a Ford chassis. We joked that somewhere someone was missing wiring and vacuum harnesses in their Ford van. The guy got it running fine.

How often will you be around the vehicles?
Hard to tell. No sure where my next job will be. Tough time being a "kouchis" (Afghanistan name for a nomad). Next time I will be where these vehicles are (Arizona) likely first week in May. About to turn 60 years of age, and don't have a location to live identified. We rented a home in Arizona from May through August, with a option through October. I retire in August. My boss called me yesterday (Sunday) and states he needs me west of the IDL ASAP until retirement. So working through the situation.

Of note, there was a job opening at Colorado State that I matched well for, but missed the very short application deadline, and the position filled.

I've debated about getting either a covered or cave space for our RV. Being out in the weather requires a lot more work on my part but it is nice to have it available right now in the driveway.

I've debated about getting either a covered or cave space for our RV. Being out in the weather requires a lot more work on my part but it is nice to have it available right now in the driveway.
my wife was after me to get a RV carport... but honestly I consider spending money for that as a waste as I look at any RV as being a total loss so there isn't much point in spending more money just to make a loss into another loss.

Wash it a couple times a year, wax it once a year, clean the roof and repair as necessary and that should be sufficient..