Rural Fuel Stations

MSCH

I always loved buying fuel at Mom and Pop stations in BFE.
one of my favorite pics from a trip some years back.
South Dakota or Nebraska if memory serves correctly.

160999595_5173727459368183_8250602044512829624_o.jpg

I always loved buying fuel at Mom and Pop stations in BFE.
We see lots of those in rural areas. Many are co-op owned and have one or two pumps that you have to figure out on your own, because there is nobody there to help. You'll see lots of farmers getting fuel there and a few trucks, virtually no cars.

I stay away from them. Last thing I want to deal with is water or dirt in the gas at a low volume place somewhere. Maybe it's less of a concern with diesel? And I'm sure you've done it hundreds of times but I'm the one who will get the water. I know my luck.

I stay away from them. Last thing I want to deal with is water or dirt in the gas at a low volume place somewhere. Maybe it's less of a concern with diesel? And I'm sure you've done it hundreds of times but I'm the one who will get the water. I know my luck.
I use a transfer tank with a pump and a hydrosorb filter. If I think it might be a low volume seller, I pump into the tank first and then from there to the truck tank. The Hydrosorb filters are about a fourth of the price of the Cummins filters and a lot easier to change. Probably not perfect but it has worked so far.

I use a transfer tank with a pump and a hydrosorb filter. If I think it might be a low volume seller, I pump into the tank first and then from there to the truck tank. The Hydrosorb filters are about a fourth of the price of the Cummins filters and a lot easier to change. Probably not perfect but it has worked so far.
In your years of experience driving big trucks, did you ever get a load of water in the fuel that left you on the side of the road?

It's probably a bigger problem with diesels. Common rail fuel systems and water do not mix.

I drain the water separator low point before I change the fuel filter to see if there is any accumulated water, I've never seen any. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I bought some sketchy fuel somewhere along the line on my trip to Alaska.. she was ruuning a bit rough when we got to Anchorage.. When we were on our return leg I noticed the truck was down on power on the big grades... eventually I got a check engine light, scanned it and had a low rail pressure code.. so I replaced both fuel filters on the side of the road.. I brought them with me....

the fuel filters ended up being restricted... but this is a case where not only do you know you are buying fuel at a low volume station but you don't have anywhere else to buy it from..

but this farm co op station doesn't bother me.. all fuel stations have filtration, its not like they just pump right out of the tank.
water is mostly separated long before it gets to the pump, let alone your tank.

Yes I did. Twice. We had some Peterbilt cabovers with Cat 3406 engines with the separator filter mounted on the back of the engine and the engine was so long it stuck out from under the cab. Had it freeze up on me twice in sub zero weather conditions. Those particular Cat engines returned very little fuel to the tank and less heat than a Cummins but the fuel didn’t gel. The separator caught the water and then froze cutting the fuel off.
Both times the fuel was from busy truck stops.

It's probably a bigger problem with diesels. Common rail fuel systems and water do not mix.

I drain the water separator low point before I change the fuel filter to see if there is any accumulated water, I've never seen any. Maybe I'm just lucky.
you have a better chance of getting water in your fuel if you run an auxiliary tank than from buying it .
especially if you leave that auxiliary tank empty in a hot humid climate.

auxiliary tank, especially when dry tend to form condensates.. as they will say in any diesel service book, "diesel fuel has an affinity for water".

Yes I did. Twice. We had some Peterbilt cabovers with Cat 3406 engines with the separator filter mounted on the back of the engine and the engine was so long it stuck out from under the cab. Had it freeze up on me twice in sub zero weather conditions. Those particular Cat engines returned very little fuel to the tank and less heat than a Cummins but the fuel didn’t gel. The separator caught the water and then froze cutting the fuel off.
I've seen big trucks on the shoulder of the interstate on frigid nights, with the driver changing fuel filters. That sounds completely miserable. Nothing like getting super cold fuel on your hands.

you have a better chance of getting water in your fuel if you run an auxiliary tank than from buying it .

auxiliary tank, especially when dry tend to form condensates.. as they will say in any diesel service book, "diesel fuel has an affinity for water".
That's a great point. I always keep the truck and the auxiliary tanks full when I can. Same with the cars, as it keeps the moisture laden air out of the tank.

I’ve had a diesel pickup since 2019 and have never drained any water from the fuel filters on the truck. I don’t know if it’s the ULSD or places are filtering it better or what but I’ve not had a problem with water in a long time. I know around here the state has people who go around checking the calibration on fuel pumps and the bulk tanks at places for water. If a tank starts having water intrusion problems then most likely it has a leak and could be leaking fuel into the ground.

I keep the fuel turned over in my auxiliary tank by pumping all fuel into it and then to the truck tank when it needs it. I also fuel my tractor from the auxiliary tank so I don’t have to fool with cans.