Roof Maintenance (Chemicals) Camco Pro-Tec

ctechbob

This will be year #2 of using the Camco Pro-Tec roof treatment.

Is it working?

Hard to say as I don't have anything to compare it to. I know that I can rub my hand on the roof material and no chalkiness gets on my hands.

The cleaner seems to do a decent enough job getting all of the black off the roof. I need a bit of a better brush for next year as mine is worn out and is too soft. This will be the first year I actually got on the roof to do the job and have to say, I do not like. I'm a bit big to be walking around up there (260#) and I don't like being up there at all, but it did make the job a ton easier and faster.

They do say not to apply in the direct sun, but I don't have a lot of choice, I'm not going to pack everything up and haul it somewhere with shade. Doesn't seem to matter, yesterday wasn't overly hot and I suspect if you do it in the spring/fall you'll be just fine. The longest part of it was waiting for the roof to dry after washing, although a leaf blower could help here. Once you get to applying the protectant it only takes 10 min or so to dry and you can coat again. Last year I did one coat, this year I did two, just because it was easier.

Of course, I checked all my sealing areas before doing step 2 and ended up touching up a couple of spots with the Dicor I had on hand.

Time will tell if it is a worthwhile activity. It looks like I will get at least 3, possibly 4 years out of the chemicals, so at ~$10-15 a year, it isn't a big investment.

1710552924294.jpg

You'll have to post some pictures of the Cleaner/conditioner and the protectant while your applying. Is it the consistency of a car wax?

You'll have to post some pictures of the Cleaner/conditioner and the protectant while your applying. Is it the consistency of a car wax?
No, it is a liquid. About the same consistency as ArmorAll. I use a little 1/2 gallon handheld sprayer and just spray it down and then use a dry swifter to spread it around.

The cleaner is just a detergent you mix with water and scrub with your preferred scrubbing device, although you wouldn't want something too stiff or abrasive.

Ctech, as you said what is it, like armor all for trailer roofs? interesting..

best rubber roof cleaner I have used is good old LA Awesome in a spray bottle..
buy it at Dollar Tree Dollar General..

I treated my rubber roof with Henrys 887.. which is more or less permanent..

Hopefully, unlike AA, it won't seep through the material and destroy the adhesive on the other side.

I know people still use Armor All, but that stuff is death to interiors.

I';ll probably keep using the Camco stuff until I'm out and then reevaluate. As long as the roof stays clean and isn't chalking up, I'll consider that a win.

Hopefully, unlike AA, it won't seep through the material and destroy the adhesive on the other side.

I know people still use Armor All, but that stuff is death to interiors.

I';ll probably keep using the Camco stuff until I'm out and then reevaluate. As long as the roof stays clean and isn't chalking up, I'll consider that a win.
lets face it, it is one of those things that get neglected and its not alot of fun climbing up there..
so I'd say what you are doing is going to probably be good in the long run.

reason I coated mine with Henry's 887 is it was I had a tan rubber roof and I'm down here in the bottom of Fla
and that white coating is definitely cooler..

lets face it, it is one of those things that get neglected and its not alot of fun climbing up there..
so I'd say what you are doing is going to probably be good in the long run.

reason I coated mine with Henry's 887 is it was I had a tan rubber roof and I'm down here in the bottom of Fla
and that white coating is definitely cooler..
I definitely don't like being up there, although I should have put the stupid jacks down so the thing didn't wiggle so much when I was up there, that would have helped.

Never claimed to be super bright.

I'm sure a vast % of people never even bother to check up there until there is a problem.

Our roof is XTRM from LaSalle Bristol

I've been up there several times and it will looks like new. When I was at the factory, I picked up a trimmed scrap piece off the plant floor and tried to rip it. I couldn't, even with my strong farm kid hands, I tried like hell but no way could I get it to tear. Pretty impressive stuff.

I definitely don't like being up there, although I should have put the stupid jacks down so the thing didn't wiggle so much when I was up there, that would have helped.

Never claimed to be super bright.

I'm sure a vast % of people never even bother to check up there until there is a problem.

I clean mine once a year.. if'n something goes wrong I've ended up on the roof while on a trip more than once in my life.
the rooftop view of a RV park in Blackhawk SD while I was repairing the upper slide seal.

blackhawk 2.JPG

blackhawk 1.JPG

telling you, necessity is the mother of invention. check out my use of a picnic table as well as my short ladder.. talk about unstable.

blackhawk 3.jpg