Rocky Mountain NP - Bear Lake - October 14, 2023

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
A quick visit to Bear Lake on a cool 23°F morning. The upper lot was full, even with timed entry. The lower lot had plenty of parking. We didn't see any wild like in the park, but saw several Elk in Estes Park.

A neat standing lenticular over Longs Peak (you can't see Longs Peak in the picture)

IMG_3531.JPG

This cloud looked like a tornado...
IMG_3535.JPG

Looking across Bear Lake. Picturesque!
IMG_3532.JPG

Bear Lake has super clear water
IMG_3533.JPG

IMG_3534.JPG

Elk in Estes Park. He was walking along the road like he owned it.
IMG_3536.JPG

yeah, its nice up in RMNP .. been there twice in my life once in the late 80's in a 66 F250 with a pickup camper and in 2016 with my previous fifth wheel...

Did you pull your trailer over Trail Ridge Road?
Yes. I have been up to the Alpine Visitor Center in both my pickup camper back in the day as well as with my previous fifth wheel, the Reflection.. came from the west in Granby , up and over and all the way down to Loveland.. I'll tellya one thing, a modern turbo diesel does a lot better at altitude than an old worn out F250 .

RMNP.jpg

I have been up to the Alpine Visitor Center in both my pickup camper back in the day as well as with my previous fifth wheel
How was the pull up and down? I've been on the road many times and frankly it looks very intimidating to pull a trailer over.

How was the pull up and down? I've been on the road many times and frankly it looks very intimidating to pull a trailer over.
honestly, exhaust brake and lower gear selection are your friend.
Your Duramax will handle it no problem with a trailer.
the road is not fast.. keep your speed reasonable and it is no problem.

The east slope is more congested,
the west slope has those don't look down over the edge views and no guardrails.

I have pulled the grades between Denver and Vail many times and they are steep, but an understanding of energy management and you'll be fine. The grades on Trail Ridge Road are visually more stimulating (a LOT more), but I don't think they are any steeper.

there is a grade limit on US badged highways.. might be a little more steep than Interstates( which I think are limited to 6 or 7%) but I don't think I have ever encountered anything more than a 10% grade on any US highway...

Granite Pass in Wyoming is pretty severe... Macarthur pass in Montana comes to mind...
but other than the Trail Road being 2 lanes and winding, it didn't seem all that difficult.