Quicky road trip to Palo Duro Canyon State Park, Canyon Texas

Azjeff

A couple of weeks ago our BFFs in Pa let us know they were traveling to San Antonio for a conference, would we like to get together somewhere since that's a lot closer than the 2100 miles between our homes. They were at Palo Duro Canyon SP once and had a good time, we stopped there in early May last year right after some intense thunderstorms and flooding and the trails were totally closed. Since our whole reason was to hike and mt bike we stayed one night and headed west. So Palo Duro Canyon it is, a re-do for us and another time for them. It's a little over 700 miles, we'll do 400+ first day and 300- second day and be there. Problem #1 was campgrounds all full in the canyon 3 weeks out so we had to find someplace else close. Ended up with Blue Dog RV Park a bit to the north. Looks like a newer spot, we'll see on Thursday. On the agenda is hiking and biking the trails, finally stopping at Cadillac Ranch, a tour of a ranch that raises Longhorn Cattle, and some local BBQ. We'll be there 2.5 days then head back to Az. They're driving a Silverado and hotel/motel camping. They love to drive and will go from western Pa to Grand Junction Co non-stop. Pa to Fla non-stop solo no big deal. Will update and hopefully share some pics. The Texas fires are north and east of Amarillo and shouldn't affect us.

Yeah, when we go 400 towing in a day I've had enough and that's co-driving. Wayne, didn't you tell me you did back to back 1000 mile days or something last winter? Animal.

Our plan to slow down and take the 2 lanes will have to start after this trip. ;)

Wayne, didn't you tell me you did back to back 1000 mile days or something last winter? Animal.
I have done many back-to-back 1,000 mile days in a car, including 4,000 miles in 4 days. Never pulling a trailer.

I have done many back-to-back 1,000 mile days in a car, including 4,000 miles in 4 days. Never pulling a trailer.

I used to do 1000 mile days on a motorcycle... I think I probably did 6 of them over the years.

somebody asked me how the I did that and I said two 500 mile days on the bike were harder than 1 thousand mile day..
funny thing about it is after 500 miles on the bike you'd get into some sort of trance, and all the pain would go away.
You'd just be numb. :) The combination of wind noise and road noise and all the other assaults on your senses would be so persistent in your head and body that even if you stopped the effect didn't go away even if you tried to, so you might as well just keep on going. of course it took about 3 or 4 days after a ride like that to finally regain some sense of normalcy.

as far as in a truck towing a trailer... alot of how far you go depends on so many factors.. how big is the fuel tank, what is the traffic like and do you want to get it over with or do you want the trip to continue.. as I get older I know I need to get out of the drivers seat at least once every 2 hours or I will end up crippled. but now I settle for 300 miles in a day max unless I have some real need to get there..

450 miles today, we’re in a campground east of Albuquerque near the top of the climb. 450 miles in 7.5 hours start to stop is 60 mph average.

Anyone who has travelled the 40 across Arizona has seen these attractions!
IMG_2854.jpeg

IMG_2855.jpeg

Found some mountain bike riding here.
IMG_2860.jpeg

You must have kept moving!

I've seen those dinosaurs so many times. I'm pretty sure they were there when I was a kid. Nostalgic!

Those are big boy rocks you are about to ride over!