Not what you want to see under the hood.

Azjeff

Got home today after 4 days at Lost Dutchman State Park east of Phoenix and was cleaning up and checking things out. Popped the hood and found these cute little footprints on the top of the engine plastics. Wayne knows what it is. :mad: I checked real close for any wires chewed and didn't find anything. Stinking packrats. I saw a Dodge dually with the hood up and a lit trouble light laying on the ground under the engine and kinda thought the guy was over reacting. Apparently not. The area is classic desert terrain and their habitat, I'm going on the offensive from now on to keep them out.

IMG_2557.jpg

There are 6 kinds of cactus in this photo, Ocotillo, Saguaro, Prickly Pear, Barrel, Jumping Cholla, Staghorn. They all want to stick you.

IMG_2529.jpg

Popped the hood and found these cute little footprints on the top of the engine plastics. Wayne knows what it is. :mad:
Yeah, I sure do, those rats cost me $900 in chewed wiring harnesses.

What remedy are you going to try?

There are 6 kinds of cactus in this photo, Ocotillo, Saguaro, Prickly Pear, Barrel, Jumping Cholla, Staghorn. They all want to stick you.
That scene reminds me of Saguaro National Park. An untouched mature desert ecosystem and it's fascinating. Literally every plant there has a means of defense. If you ever get a chance to visit the NP, do it, it's great.

Hope if they are in there you track them down. I just had to run a bunch out of my cars that have been sitting for years.

What remedy are you going to try?
Anytime we park in a campground I'm going to put a little container of peppermint in cotton balls under the hood.

Also thinking of duplicating the Rid-A-Rat flashing light with these from Amazon. Put 1 or 2 under the hood and turn them on at nights. The draw should be minimal. 12v strobe lights

Rid-A-Rat This is made somewhere around Phoenix and is marketed just for pack rats.

LED flashing bulbs You can also get flashing LED bulbs and build your own.

Nice but probably wouldn't go over well in a campground. Needs to be 12 volt to wire directly into the truck. Maybe you could test it?

Nice but probably wouldn't go over well in a campground. Needs to be 12 volt to wire directly into the truck. Maybe you could test it?
I would put it under the hood, so the strobe wouldn't be visible or at least hardly visible.

Was thinking more of the sounds at night when it's quiet and you need to keep the little *#$//! away.

Got home today after 4 days at Lost Dutchman State Park east of Phoenix and was cleaning up and checking things out. Popped the hood and found these cute little footprints on the top of the engine plastics. Wayne knows what it is. :mad: I checked real close for any wires chewed and didn't find anything. Stinking packrats. I saw a Dodge dually with the hood up and a lit trouble light laying on the ground under the engine and kinda thought the guy was over reacting. Apparently not. The area is classic desert terrain and their habitat, I'm going on the offensive from now on to keep them out.

View attachment 1815

View attachment 1816
I have never seen them get in there that quick! It only takes a couple of nibbles. I have seen people put out rope light around the truck and trailer.

I have seen people put out rope light around the truck and trailer.
That's very common to see in the resort where we stayed in AZ last winter. Supposedly, the rodents will not cross the rope light. I wish I had asked someone why they do this. :(

That's very common to see in the resort where we stayed in AZ last winter. Supposedly, the rodents will not cross the rope light. I wish I had asked someone why they do this. :(
To be honest as long as I have had an RV and where I live I have not had critters in anything...I probably just jinxed myself.

I should have said something but kinda thought with the amount of traveling you do you probably knew all the tricks. 🤷‍♂️

I should have said something but kinda thought with the amount of traveling you do you probably knew all the tricks. 🤷‍♂️
I was completely ignorant about the pack rat problem in the southwest. I guess that means I should send you the repair bill? :)