NO good deed goes unpunished.

MSCH

long story short... my Michigan buddy who winters in FLA asks me if I want to ride along, going to haul another MI persons trailer up to Leesburg and leave it up there, MI buddy potentially going to haul it back to MI when he goes home end of March.

show up at 7 am at the prospective trailer , these 2 womefolk in the trailer were the ones who wanted to leave early.
you don't think they had the trailer packed away or the hoses and drain tubes removed or the slides in do you?
nope... and the trailer battery was dead, even though they were staying init. so the slides wont operate nor will the hydraulic leveling.
ended up using jumper cables from a car to the RV battery in order to get the hydraulic stuff to do its thing..
then these two old ladies didn't want to leave their wooden steps behind so we needed to get that sucker in the back of the truck.

you don't think my MI buddy thought it would be a good idea to fill up his truck with fuel ahead of time, do you, so we ended up needing to buy fuel with the trailer connected.. since the RV was one of those Designer Suites, it was 40 feet long which means we sort of want to hit a truck stop... Flying J we pulled into was under construction in the back, that turned into a disaster. Since the trailer owner was paying for fuel, she decided she would go inside and pay cash... she finally come back outside and tell us she put 75 dollars on the pump.. at 4 25 a gallon she bought him 17 gallons of fuel for what amounts to a 500 mile round trip, half of it pulling a 40 foot 5er.

then we finally managed to get it where we were going, had to do the same jumper cable routine to get the unit off the truck. Decided to take the battery out of the unit and take it back with us, see if we can put some water in it ( it was bone dry) and maybe just maybe if they are lucky they wont have to buy a battery.

of course since it is prime snowbird season in Floriduh, traffic was pretty miserable all the way from Fort Myers to Wildwood Floriduh..

since my bud doesn't have a GPS we had trouble finding the place we were taking the trailer,of course when we were finally close enough to destination we missed it, had to find somewhere to turn around and get there..

decide to go back south a different way... take Fl Turnpike all the way south of Kissimmee to Lake Okeechobee , which is generally a more peaceful route than taking I 75 southbound from Wildwood, thru Tampa during afternoon rush hours, but we still had to deal with Orlando..which was as expected, Floriduh tourist season in full bloom.

eventually we get back where we started, and its time for me to go back to my house and my MI Bud says that was a PITA.
I didn't know the trailer was going to be so messed up or that they were going to be such a couple of wingnuts..

to which I replied, NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED.

Your buddy went into this deed without a good understanding of the situation and no plan and you were just an observer/bystander/victim. Will he still pull it to Mi or turn it down? It could turn into a nightmare of blown tires and seized bearings and shedding parts...

not ready to roll
dead battery
extra cargo
low fuel
no GPS/directions

About 99% of the time, when you try to help someone out, it turns into a fiasco like that. So always expect the worst and if it’s not be surprised about that. You’ll get a lot fewer surprises.

Your buddy went into this deed without a good understanding of the situation and no plan and you were just an observer/bystander/victim. Will he still pull it to Mi or turn it down? It could turn into a nightmare of blown tires and seized bearings and shedding parts...

not ready to roll
dead battery
extra cargo
low fuel
no GPS/directions

I suspect he knew the situation not that he is the most prepared guy you will ever meet( he didn't buy fuel before we left is a perfect example) .... I was just along for the ride :) so if push came to shove I would have just called one of my kids and asked them to come and get us, was never more than 250 miles from home.. :) I suspect my bud brought me along because I am not mechanically challenged and I also know my way around Floriduh without a map and I had a good idea where it was going to be.. We did use his phone to find the exact place but it isn't the same as having a GPS .. Since my bud doesn't own a PC I wasn't able to pre locate the prospective parking place ahead of time.. As far as him taking it to MI, he wont need a map or GPS for that.. Michigan is pretty EZ to find from Fla, take I 75. :)

I'm sure he will pull it to MI for them, that seems like predistination and that it is going to be a cl#sterf..k whatever happens... He asked me if I want to go to MI and I said no. :)

Reminds me of the time many years ago when an acquaintance asked if I could help move a few boxes from one apartment to another. I show up and there were boxes alright, but not one thing in the entire apartment had been packed, nothing. What was supposed to take 15 minutes to load, took about four hours to pack up enough boxes to fill the first load. Then came the driving 30 miles away to the new apartment, in Chicago rush hour traffic. The first load was only about 50% of the crap in that apartment. I have no idea how long it took to get the whole apartment move, I bailed after the first load. Talk about feeling used.

We've all done it.

I look at it now - I may be retired but my time isn't without value. Don't waste it.

I pretty much limit my 'help' to immediate family (Of which there just aren't too many around me these days) and super close 'I'll help you hide the body' type friends...of which there are only about 4.

Sounds old and grumpy, but like above, my time is precious to me.

That doesn't mean I won't bend my rule from time to time, but I make real sure I know what I'm getting into before I agree to it.

A sorrowful combination of poor planning and some lazy people make for a bad day.

I helped a friend move a few years ago. He had been divorced and needed some help; we agreed several weeks in advance to lend a hand, and told him we only had one day to move a whole house. I specifically told him to make sure all clothes, dishes, personal effects, tools, etc were packed in boxes and ready to load. Do you think he did that? Nope. We were all so pissed at him. We spent like 16 hours trying to do what should have taken only 8 or less. A few years later, he wanted help moving again. Most of us said "no way"; he got mad at us, as if we were the problem. You may burn me once, but it won't happen again.

Last edited: