National Park Service sued over refusal to accept cash as a form of entry payment

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
I just read about this today that the NPS has been sued over refusal to take cash as entry fee payment. I think it's wrong for a federally run agency to refuse to take the good old American dollar as a form of payment.

Legal for all debts public and private. It's still printed on there isn't it?

We are on the downward slippery slope of being completely cashless I fear.

I’m tired of all this cashless stuff. I prefer to use cash when I can. I guess a place that doesn’t take cash would turn away people if the system goes down instead of accepting the cash and keeping your guests.

Maybe the fed wants this as it would take a large bit out of counterfeiting and washing?
Regrettably, government considerations at times put their comfort/convenience well ahead of the comfort/ convenience of the taxpayer. Not having to deal with cash is one less method of payment the park systems have to deal with. My question- how many jobs did the park system eliminate because of the elimination of cash?

My question- how many jobs did the park system eliminate because of the elimination of cash?
That's a good question. I could ask my cousin, who is the superintendent of one of the large NPs.

Reactions: GON
thing that strikes me as funny is there is one group of people who will complain
that government is inefficient and private companies can perform a function cheaper and more efficiently
but when government does something to increase their own efficiency they get sued..

I doubt any jobs were eliminated not accepting cash,
because some jobs always take a warm body to accomplish, no matter what else changes.

@
thing that strikes me as funny is there is one group of people who will complain
that government is inefficient and private companies can perform a function cheaper and more efficiently
but when government does something to increase their own efficiency they get sued..

I doubt any jobs were eliminated not accepting cash,
because some jobs always take a warm body to accomplish, no matter what else changes.
MSCH, I might look at the issue from a different angle. A private owner more likely than not would continue to take cash as a form of pavement. It is often a good business practice for multiple reasons. Maybe a little extra work, but not paying credit cars fees pays an immediate three percent +/- return on the transaction over credit cards. Three percent extra per transaction for cash is a nice immediate additional transaction return.

Rather than state "increase their own efficiency", I would ask is the federal government increasing visitor satisfactions, wants, and needs? Shutting down national parks on weekends and federal holidays will also increase efficiency. Closing down restrooms with modern plumbing will also increase efficiency at national parks........

@

MSCH, I might look at the issue from a different angle. A private owner more likely than not would continue to take cash as a form of pavement. It is often a good business practice for multiple reasons. Maybe a little extra work, but not paying credit cars fees pays an immediate three percent +/- return on the transaction over credit cards. Three percent extra per transaction for cash is a nice immediate additional transaction return.

Rather than state "increase their own efficiency", I would ask is the federal government increasing visitor satisfactions, wants, and needs? Shutting down national parks on weekends and federal holidays will also increase efficiency. Closing down restrooms with modern plumbing will also increase efficiency at national parks........
try renting a car or getting an airline ticket or hotel reservation with cash.

case closed. :)

try renting a car or getting an airline ticket or hotel reservation with cash.

case closed. :)
That's very true and I almost never carry cash, or at least more than a few dollars. There is almost no need for cash these days.

That's very true and I almost never carry cash, or at least more than a few dollars. There is almost no need for cash these days.
I doubt I have pulled 20 dollars cash out of my wallet this year.
I even quit using a debit card.
almost everything goes on the visa..
cable, internet, groceries, fuel, etc
pay the bill once a month via electronic funds transfer.

But the park system should probably accept cash.