Nasa Spot the Space Station website and email notification

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
I discovered this website a couple weeks ago:

You can subscribe to an email that lets you know about 12 hours in advance when you can spot the station during nighttime hours.

We were sitting in the hot tub tonight and sure enough it was visible exactly when and were it was supposed to be. It's very bright and I would think it could be spotted even from near cities.

A fun thing to do when you are sitting around a camp fire.

I actually use an app called 'Heavens Above'.

Most people probably don't realize they've seen the ISS flying over and thought it was a plane. A good pair of binoculars will reveal the overall shape of it.

On a good, clear, dark sky night, you can see all kinds of things flying over.

Most people probably don't realize they've seen the ISS flying over and thought it was a plane. A good pair of binoculars will reveal the overall shape of it.
The ISS passed over tonight at 5:09PM, it was just getting dark, but the ISS was highly visible. It looks like an airplane with it's landing light on.

IMG_3767.jpeg

IMG_3769.jpeg

On a good, clear, dark sky night, you can see all kinds of things flying over.
Take a look at the Starlink constellation. We see at least one or two every night we sit in the hot-tub.

I used to go outside and look all the time since I work nights and it is easy enough for me to walk out back and look. Just get distracted and forget to go do it from time-to-time.

Plus it is a bit bright here with all the security lights on 24/7, not the greatest viewing conditions, but not horrible.

The space station flyover at 6:41 tonight. It's the brightest star in the sky.
IMG_4260.jpeg