More snow and cold

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
We got about 3" of fresh snow and it's supposed to get down to 10F tonight. This cold weather camping adventure will end about March 5th. Hoping to only experience warm weather camping in the future. The dogs did enjoy their walk immensely.

IMG_4313.JPG

IMG_4312.JPG

Last edited:
Wow.

Not to late to sell your newly remodeled home in Ft Collins for a large capital gain, and move to the tropics of Texas---McAllen, TX area for a five times larger lot at 1/3 the cost of Ft Collins. And SpaceX likely will recruit you..... Double Double.

Wow.

Not to late to sell your newly remodeled home in Ft Collins for a large capital gain, and move to the tropics of Texas---McAllen, TX area for a five times larger lot at 1/3 the cost of Ft Collins. And SpaceX likely will recruit you..... Double Double.

We thought about TX, but the summertime heat and humidity are a no-go. The summer here in FoCo is fabulously low humidity, but McAllen would be better in the winter for sure :)

I live in FLA, and after 40 years here I would not move here if I was from out of state.
it is now overcrowded, overpriced and over rated
I wouldn't go to Tejas either.. for some of the same reasons.
I'd probably stay in CO and travel to a better climate when my brain needed it.

if you have money already and don't need to earn more
northern Alabama or Georgia would be my choice for a good place to live .

I live in FLA, and after 40 years here I would not move here if I was from out of state.
it is now overcrowded, overpriced and over rated
I wouldn't go to Tejas either.. for some of the same reasons.
I'd probably stay in CO and travel to a better climate when my brain needed it.

if you have money already and don't need to earn more
northern Alabama or Georgia would be my choice for a good place to live .
I have a job application in for northern AL (Huntsville), but still find areas like McAllen offering much nicer winter weather than Huntsville. Just think of never scraping frost off the windshield.

I have a job application in for northern AL (Huntsville), but still find areas like McAllen offering much nicer winter weather than Huntsville. Just think of never scraping frost off the windshield.
well, frost is rare enough in Alabama to be a welcome change of pace.
kinda like when we had property in Ocala FL. get some frost here and there, can get cold overnite in the winter months
but by 10 am its nice outside..

I grew up in MI... kinda miss winter a bit, but not as much winter as MI gets..
I swear it could have frost there any month of the year. or just about anyway.

well, frost is rare enough in Alabama to be a welcome change of pace.
kinda like when we had property in Ocala FL. get some frost here and there, can get cold overnite in the winter months
but by 10 am its nice outside..

I grew up in MI... kinda miss winter a bit, but not as much winter as MI gets..
I swear it could have frost there any month of the year. or just about anyway.
When I lived in Columbia, SC I learned fairly quickly that the south does in fact get cold, and gets cold regularly for months.

I love to be active doing stuff, cold weather simply discourages me and makes me a couch potato. I know others thrive on the cold.

When I lived in Columbia, SC I learned fairly quickly that the south does in fact get cold, and gets cold regularly for months.

I love to be active doing stuff, cold weather simply discourages me and makes me a couch potato. I know others thrive on the cold.
Not to mention we have wild temp swings. Not uncommon for it to be freezing one day and able to wear shorts and a tshirt the next.

Season changes in the south are like a light switch. (seems like at least) One day in November it will just decide 'ok, time for winter' and you get your cold weather. In the spring it will be nice and temperate for a month or so (if you don't die from pollen) and then *CLICK* 95 degrees and roasting.

It actually got down to zero last night and the cold water in the kitchen sink froze again, but the faucet and FoCo thawed out by mid-day.

Amazing that your RV can function normally at zero and below. We'd have a ruined plumbing system if we tried that. I was nervous when it got to 25f.

Reactions: GON
Not to mention we have wild temp swings. Not uncommon for it to be freezing one day and able to wear shorts and a tshirt the next.

Season changes in the south are like a light switch. (seems like at least) One day in November it will just decide 'ok, time for winter' and you get your cold weather. In the spring it will be nice and temperate for a month or so (if you don't die from pollen) and then *CLICK* 95 degrees and roasting.

I know that is true... even FLA can get cold... even all the way to the bottom of the state... coldest we have had near my house is a low of 41 overnite( I am near the Florida Panther Refuge) . but it isn't the same as being in Maine , Michigan , Minnesota or Montana and having to wait until Memorial Day for the snow to have finally disappeared from certain spots in the shade . :)

Amazing that your RV can function normally at zero and below. We'd have a ruined plumbing system if we tried that. I was nervous when it got to 25f.
New Horizons has a warranty that nothing will freeze down to -10°F, if you heat with the propane heater. This would be true if the cold water pex line wasn't up against the frame. The next time I'm at New Horizons, I'm going to ask them if they would move the kitchen sink line to the top of the tanks, not laying beside them. Then we'll have no freezing water pipes. I hope to never camp in weather this cold again. Goals... :)

Last edited: