I've never flushed our water heater

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
I have never flushed our water heater, nor have to look into the water heater with more bore scope. After watching this video, I think it's high-time to flush.

I'm going to stick the bore scope in to take a look tomorrow.

When I bought my replacement anodes on Amazon I ordered a set that came with a wand for flushing.

I didn't spend a pile of time doing it, or looking in the heater, but maybe when it warms up I'll take another peek.

Not going anywhere till end of April anyways, have plenty of time.

current RV always had a smell when we first used the Hot Water.
Never had that problem on any of the previous RV's
Based on her research my wife insisted it is the anode and the water heater needed to be flushed..
Since the wife is in charge I just do what the captain orders whether I agree or not as I never win that argument.
I did it.. swapped out a good anode for a brand new good anode. :)
flushed tank with some peroxide and that wand Ctech was talking about.

all I can say is it helped, but it still gets a funny smell after a long sit and first use of hot water.

I generally drain the water heater and the fresh water tanks anyway.. on a regular basis.
doesn't seem to make sense to leave water in it..

worth mentioning friend of mine paid 1400 dollars to have his water heater replaced in his 6 year old Montana..
so if draining the water heater and cleaning it out helps extend the life, go for it.

We got the sulphur smell last summer so I drained the tank and did the H2O2 flush and now drain it every time we come back and haven't had the smell since. I've never seen any deposits come out of the tank.