Insulated socket set for working around electrified equipement

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
I have never seen insulated sockets, extensions, or ratchets. These would be really handy for cabling/uncabling our RV batteries or car/truck batteries. It's been years since I accidentally shorted a battery, but man can they get things really smoking hot fast!

Good idea. Hard to imagine needing the full set, maybe you could get the socket you need for the battery bank. On second thought when we all start DIYing on our EVs...... especially the batteries it will take to tow your trailer.

Never turn away from the opportunity to buy new tools. (y)

On second thought when we all start DIYing on our EVs
Can you imagine the fault current on an EV battery? If you touch a wrench to the positive and negative terminals on a 12v car battery, I'll bet the current could be as high as 2500 amps = 30k watts of heat. That's a heck of a lot more than a welder. EV batteries put out a LOT more power than a standard 12v car battery.

Never turn away from the opportunity to buy new tools.
Never!

we had some of the insulated tools for working on Allison Hybrid drives. You also need the special goves if you really want to be safe. Allison system was nominally 600V ( reality was anywhere between 400 and 900v dc or ac) capable of about 180Kw total power.. system both AC and DC,. depending on which end you were working on. I still remember the stuff, Nickel Metal Hydride energy storage system... which is made of a 6 packs of batterys, 40 NiMH batterys to a pack... so 240 cells in total... every Pack is computer controlled.. then you had the DPIM which was the AC DC converter.. that had its own microprocessor too... then you had the Allison Hybrid drive, which was both a generator and electric motor os well as the starter motor for the engine.. so the drive unit used and produced AC voltage, the DPIM could convert current in either direction and the battery system was DC... and all of it was all shielded and insulated to prevent boneheads from killing themselves. if you so much as disconnected a cover on most of this stuff, it would trigger the hi voltage interlock loop and shut the system down... so you probably have the same thing on these electric vehicles...

realistically the vehicle manufaturers install hi voltage interlocks into this sort of thing, just because the potential to Ted Bundy someone working on it is high.

like anything like that, that battery pack in a EV is sealed... and will have tripled insulation and hi voltage interlock loos, so a real dummy has to work at it to french fry themselves.

funniest thing was the guy from Allison didn't use the insulated tools..

Harbor freight:
This 1/4 in. composite ratchet has a lightweight composite handle that is nonmarring and nonconductive, making it ideal for working near automotive battery terminals.