If you saw this at a gas station, would you tell the owner what they are doing is dangerous?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Would you mind your own business or say something to the owner?

Photo of a grossly overloaded truck camper:

Mind my own business and make sure I'm not near him on the highway.

Hopefully that is a temporary setup to transport it a few miles and not an honest to goodness traveling setup.

I would ask him “where you headed “? If he said more than a few miles, I would ask him if he had plenty of insurance. Liability and life. Then I would either go the opposite direction or find a place to spend the night. Probably wouldn’t do any good to report them to the police.

Probably wouldn’t do any good to report them to the police.
If to DOT enforcement, if described correctly, they would almost certainly be very interested in checking things out and writing big tickets. Local law enforcement usually isn't very interested in something like this, they leave things like this to the DOT.

I have reported drunk drivers to the state police here and they replied that they didn’t have anyone in the area. Se La Vi

I have reported drunk drivers to the state police here and they replied that they didn’t have anyone in the area. Se La Vi
You would think the state police would work a little harder at getting a local car out to pull the offender over.

I'll just leave this here.

1715126335639.jpg

1715126358641.jpg

friggin F150 with a camper worthy of a 1 ton dually... I'd make sure I was a long way in front of him.

friggin F150 with a camper worthy of a 1 ton dually... I'd make sure I was a long way in front of him.
I hope he has skid pads on the back of that thing, he'll surely need them.

So, I try not to throw stones at people too hard that pull big campers with small(ish) trucks......but I even had to do a double take when this dude unhitched. I didn't catch a pic of him pulling in, we were out. I'd have liked to see it actually rolling.

I don't even consider a Tundra a 'full' 1/2 ton, Toyota simply doesn't prioritize towing with any of their trucks and they are usually super short on payload from what I've seen.

This dude is really hammering that truck, for sure. Yes, his camper is the multi-slide 5th wheel Springdale.

IMG_20240517_185456075.jpg

Zoomed in:

1716085500190.jpg

Yeah, that's way too much trailer for that truck. I think that 5th wheel is about 10k pounds which would make the pin weight about 2k. The Tundra probably has a payload of just under 2k. Even if you have no gas, no passengers, and no cargo, you're still over.