howdy

MSCH

since I am new here just thought I'd say HI.
my trailer..and truck.
once I repair the suspension on my trailer am heading for North Carolina.

PXL_20230622_174019751~2.jpg

Welcome! Nice looking rig and what are the mountains in the background?

I'm also particularly interested in what went wrong with your Morryde suspension on your trailer.

Welcome! Nice looking rig and what are the mountains in the background?

I'm also particularly interested in what went wrong with your Morryde suspension on your trailer.

pretty sure those are the Seven Sisters... which are in western BC on the Yellowhead Highway..

I'm unsure exactly where the Morryd suspension broke but I'd put money on some place in Alaska.

pretty sure those are the Seven Sisters... which are in western BC on the Yellowhead Highway..
We plan on going to Alaska via the Alaska Highway after we retire. It looks beautiful.

I'm unsure exactly where the Morryd suspension broke but I'd put money on some place in Alaska.
I have heard that the road is rough and I've heard that it's much better than it used to be. How did you think the road was for your trip?

We plan on going to Alaska via the Alaska Highway after we retire. It looks beautiful.

I have heard that the road is rough and I've heard that it's much better than it used to be. How did you think the road was for your trip?

the Alcan itself is fairly good, up until you get past Whitehorse and across Alaska then it has it places that aren't so great.
I think the Alcan deteriorates so quickly during the thaw cycle in spring
that what you run into is areas of either road construction or frost heaves.
some places under construction will be gravel or this darn slurry they spray
to keep the dust down.. that stuff is wicked if it is wet.

overall though, it isn't bad.. it just has its bad spots, just like any other highway.

We have talked about renting a truck camper, so we don't have to pull the 5th wheel. That would avoid beating up the 5th wheel, but not sure we want to live in a truck camper for a couple months.

We have talked about renting a truck camper, so we don't have to pull the 5th wheel. That would avoid beating up the 5th wheel, but not sure we want to live in a truck camper for a couple months.
the main road to Alaska is not any worse than any bad neglected stretches you might encounter on the highway in the USA.
by the time we got anywhere Alaska, any of the dumb stuff that comes loose inside a RV had been dealt with and repaired..

what a pickup camper would be nice for is the stretches of the spur roads away from the Alcan.... If I had a van type RV I would have went all the way up the Dempster Highway to Tuktoyatuk. This also applies to the Dalton.. most people wont take their trailer up the Dalton and Prudhow Bay, I did all the way to Coldfoot Ak.. its not the greatest road but it is passable.. so we also went to this park in Yukon which is
PXL_20230719_215127656.jpg
PXL_20230720_004103169.jpg
PXL_20230720_212344086.jpg

PXL_20230720_200446181.jpg

Wow, talk about an epic trip!

Great pictures. It would be great to have a separate thread about your AK trip!

Welcome!! Alaska is definitely on our bucket list, although it probably won't be with this rig, probably have something else by then.

Welcome. I know you from BITOG too lol. I never realized how many camping/rv people would also be on a car/oil forum haha. Crazy how we share a lot of interests.