How to clean MAX Fan vent screen?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
The bathroom vent fan has a screen to keep fingers out of the blades and creatures from getting in the trailer. The screen gets a build up of dust and lint fairly quickly. I have used my finger to rub the dust into balls, then remove them from the screen. This doesn't work so well anymore, as the dust is so embedded on the screen that it no longer rubs off. There is little room to get a brush onto the screen and no room for compressed air from above. I don't want to removed the fan, because I don't want to disturb the caulk. Any ideas how to clean the built up link from the screen?

IMG_4429.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4427.JPG

IMG_4428.JPG

My MaxxAir comes off with latches, yours looks a little more difficult to remove. We carry a small shop vac in the trailer that would take care of that in a few seconds.

Will it come down with those 4 screws without everything falling apart?

If they were machine screws, and it comes apart easily, I'd browse McMaster Carr and see if you could get some thumbscrews that you could just spin out by hand and rinse it off in the sink

Will it come down with those 4 screws without everything falling apart?

If they were machine screws, and it comes apart easily, I'd browse McMaster Carr and see if you could get some thumbscrews that you could just spin out by hand and rinse it off in the sink
It's funny, but when you look at the fan you can't tell those are screws. In the picture, they are clearly screws. I'll try taking them out to see what happens.

No, I would need to blow from the top side and there isn't enough room to get an air wand in there.
its not to difficult to remove those covers on the fan... not normally... maybe a vacuum would work?

When you get it clean maybe a pre-screen of window screen that you could easily remove and clean to protect that one? CTbob can probably print a frame in a minute.

A toothbrush to loosen the lint and a shop vac with a small tip to suck it out? Mist it with water to soften it?

I removed the cover and sleeve, which gave me much more room to work. The four tiny screws hold the screen in place, once they are removed you can carefully maneuver the screen out. I rinsed the screen in hot water in the kitchen sink, the caked on dust melted away. The entire process took about 15 minutes.

IMG_4490.JPG

Max dirty
IMG_4492.JPG

Clean like new
IMG_4495.JPG

These things weren't meant to be lived in you know...;)

Still think a pre-screen you could easily take out would save you some disassembly work. Always good to make something right again and get it back together correctly. (y)