Hope I got lucky and didn't freeze the 12V pump.

Azjeff

I decided after the Amarillo trip to blow the water lines out instead of using antifreeze after reading about you all doing it and not having problems. I got the air line to water inlet adapter, regulated pressure to 45 psi and blew the lines until nothing at all came out. Good to go. The other night it got down to 28 unexpectedly and while I was thinking about it over coffee I realized that it probably didn't clear the 12V pump and line and I didn't dump antifreeze in the traps. Never had to specifically dump AF in the traps before because I figured running the taps until they ran pink put enough AF in the traps already. Went over yesterday and didn't find any evidence of leaks or cracks in the traps or pump so maybe everything is okay. Will only know when we put some water in the fresh tank and power up the pump . So how do you empty the pump and line into the cold water line?

You mean incoming water? My valve has city and fresh tank fill positions, not sure how that would blow through the pump. It bottomed at 28 at 6am probably then warmed up. My concern is being safe when it gets into the teens a few times a winter in the future. Should be past freezing nights now hopefully.

Last edited:
There is no way the water in the pipes froze.
You can't be sure, the water is pretty hard here.

I could probably take an air hose into the trailer and blow into the antifreeze intake tubing with the pump running.

Time at temperature is very important. If the trailer soaks for days at 28F, you're going to break lines and fitting. If the outside air temp is 28F over night, the inside of the trailer won't get below freezing. If the temperature at the lines gets down to 28F for an hour, your not going to break lines or fittings. 28F for a few hours and your playing with fire.

Time at temperature is very important. If the trailer soaks for days at 28F, you're going to break lines and fitting. If the outside air temp is 28F over night, the inside of the trailer won't get below freezing. If the temperature at the lines gets down to 28F for an hour, your not going to break lines or fittings. 28F for a few hours and your playing with fire.

exactly... it takes a given amount of time just for the vehicle itself to give up all the stored heat energy and equalize with the ambient environment that the vehicle or device has absorbed and stored.. at 28F H2O will freeze, but not until everything equalizes with ambient and the water itself overcomes the latent heat of fusion.

Since AZjeff is in one of the hotter places in the USA. he must know how long it takes to give up stored heat... for instance Jeff should look at this problem of heat movement the same way he would when he gets into a vehicle that was parked outside in AZ in the summer and how long it takes for the AC in the vehicle to get rid of all the stored heat in the vehicle interior...

Last edited: