EZ Lube Axles - Second Service

ctechbob

I know a lot of people think they are BS and that you should repack your bearings the old-fashioned way.

I just don't have the willpower to do it, so I'm wasting immense amounts of grease and using them.

I did notice this time, that I am starting to push out the factory grease that came in the axles, which appears to be quite a bit thinner than the Lucas R&T that I'm putting in, so at least it is pushing the old out and the new in.

I'll probably keep doing it until I get to around 10-15k on the trailer and then tear them down for a good once-over, but as it stands right now, I'm pretty pleased that they appear to be working as designed, although they do use a ton of grease initially. I think I used over 4 oz per wheel the first time I loaded them, it got to the point I wondered where the grease could have been going until I looked online and confirmed that, yes, the first go-round takes a pile.

Are you sure you aren't pushing out the rear seals?
Yea, you can watch that every time you pump the gun it moves the grease a little out towards the front of the hub.

Originally I just watched it 'fill forward' and kept going till I could see it, this time there was enough in there to start pushing out.

only thing I ever worried about was incompatibility of some greases with another.
my trailers both had a grey coloured grease in the bearings from the factory...( using the Queens English this morning :) )

when I switched to red and tacky,
just couldn't bear the thought of mixing the two types
without manually cleaning everything first..

after that I have relubed via the spindle zerk one time... as the red grease still appeared good.

@ctechbob I think your plan is solid. I repacked my TT bearings last year. We have a 2014 Forest River that I have put probably 15-20K on. I bought it in 2016 and for 6 years pumped in Lucas red n tacky. When I repacked last spring I had 2 seals that had wept some grease. I chalked it up to not raising the wheel and spinning it while greasing. I cleaned the hubs, the brake shoes and put it all back together. It works as intended. The only replacement part was the rear seal.

I agree, the initial fill takes a significant amount. Once full, then a few pumps until the grease is clean. I switched to Mystik grease when I repacked.

Just my $0.02

I do make sure and take the time to jack up the wheel and spin it while pumping, and pump slow(ish). Can only pump it so fast with a handheld gun.

I have Morryde IS axles under my trailer, which has a grease zerk under the dust cap. I called Morryde and asked what kind of grease should be pumped into the hub. They said, "Don't ever grease those zerks". I asked then why are they there? He couldn't answer me.

I have Morryde IS axles under my trailer, which has a grease zerk under the dust cap. I called Morryde and asked what kind of grease should be pumped into the hub. They said, "Don't ever grease those zerks". I asked then why are they there? He couldn't answer me.
Uhh.

I might want a second opinion on that one.

my guess would be the factory assembles the wheel end assemblies bone dry and pumps them full of lube after the wheel ends are installed..

My other guess is whoever is in customer service that answered your question is clueless.

Since you are a adult, what do you think those grease fittings are for? :)

Since you are a adult, what do you think those grease fittings are for?
....well, my guess is so that a grease gun can be attached. :)

I'm going to pull a hub in a couple weeks and see how the grease looks. My guess is it's time to repack.

....well, my guess is so that a grease gun can be attached. :)

I'm going to pull a hub in a couple weeks and see how the grease looks. My guess is it's time to repack.

I think it depends on miles driven more than time... these things don't deal with combustion by products so unless they have been submerged I think they can go for a long time.. but it is a good idea to check them if they have never been serviced.
good thing is the stuff like the seals are pretty much standard stuff so you can get em just about anywhere that sells auto parts or trailer parts.

I know a lot of people think they are BS and that you should repack your bearings the old-fashioned way.

I just don't have the willpower to do it, so I'm wasting immense amounts of grease and using them.

I did notice this time, that I am starting to push out the factory grease that came in the axles, which appears to be quite a bit thinner than the Lucas R&T that I'm putting in, so at least it is pushing the old out and the new in.

I'll probably keep doing it until I get to around 10-15k on the trailer and then tear them down for a good once-over, but as it stands right now, I'm pretty pleased that they appear to be working as designed, although they do use a ton of grease initially. I think I used over 4 oz per wheel the first time I loaded them, it got to the point I wondered where the grease could have been going until I looked online and confirmed that, yes, the first go-round takes a pile.
I spin the wheels while SLOWLY pumping in the grease, so i don't send grease out the back seal. Yes the first time it takes a lot of grease.

The approved greases on dexters list seem to be lithium complex, so i've stayed with that. Currently using valvoline synpower.