E-camper van - beside the fact that it's ugly, how will campgrounds feel when you charge your EV battery from the pedestal?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member

I would think as soon as they saw you pull in they would add a charging surcharge.

My opinion is the thing looks like a delivery van, because it is, it's built off the BrightDrop Zevo platform.

I know I've seen mention on a few of the sites I've looked at that just straight up forbid charging off their pedestals, but I suspect that is just for people that drive an additional vehicle.

If I owned one I'd just expect to have to pay for my 'fuel'

On the 'EV' note. I noticed the other day that Forest River has a handful of units now that include no propane, all electric.

Last edited:
speaking of hi electric use, a campground operator in Alaska told me he used to have some full time people where he just had monthly rent but now he has to have a separate utility bill for those people because they will heat their trailer with the electric fireplace ... electric fireplace being a relatively new phenomena. I'm sure the same applies to E vehicles although I can't see much practical use for a E vehicle for any sort of long distance towing I'm sure the potential is there.

I'll give you a new EV problem for camping area's E bikes

some National Parks allow bicycle traffic but no cars, and now they have problems with the E bikes, which seem to fall into a regulatory gray hole between being a bicycle and a motorcycle.

I'll give you a new EV problem for camping area's E bikes

some National Parks allow bicycle traffic but no cars, and now they have problems with the E bikes, which seem to fall into a regulatory gray hole between being a bicycle and a motorcycle.
E bikes only a problem if they let them be. If a trail or section of road is designated non-motorized then no gray area no E bikes . Problem is E bikes have created an enforcement problem that National Parks, State Parks, municipal bike paths, rail trails, etc. don't have the manpower to deal with. We have a big network of hiking/biking trails here on National forest land that are E bike prohibited. People riding them know nothing will happen so more and more are on the trails. Problem is they can go faster than all other trail users and the more powerful ones are leaving tracks similar to motorcycles slightly digging into the trail surface when I assume they have the power setting high going uphill. I ride a short section of rail trail to get to some nice mountain bike trails and routinely am passed by E bikers going substantially faster than I am.... and not pedaling.

Disney has straight up banned E-Bikes in Fort Wilderness. Noticed that this past spring when we were down there.