Do you travel or camp in groups?

MSCH

Do you ever travel in groups? Sort of convoy system where you all stay together and stay at the same places.

Never. We're just not very social.

My sister and BIL have done it a couple of times the past couple of years with different people and there's always some aggravation involved. EG: Driving 7 miles off the highway into a small town because traveling partner wants to save 5 cents a gallon isn't something I want to deal with. Or different preferred traveling speed, who slows down or speeds up? Nah.

Correction: our Pa BFFs came out to see us 2 years ago and we traveled north into Utah and camped 2 days with them then they went on home and we came back south. Wouldn't do it with anyone else.

Travel in groups no but we have camped with groups. Really I could do without except my sister and BIL. We like to do our own thing for the most part.

We have never traveled in groups or stayed in a campground with anyone. Kinda like it that way.

I like to drive my own speed for the reasons I like to do it that way. It works for me, but others would likely be annoyed by me pulling our 5th wheel 60MPH most of the time. We like not being in a hurry and not driving in the left lane, too many bad things happen when people bunch up over there and I don't want to be that guy camping in the left lane. I have found that at 60 MPH you can almost always find trucks going the same speed. Pretty much everyone gets past you fairly quickly. If I do need to pass a truck that's going just slightly slower, then I will speed up to get around them. I hate elephant races and won't cause one. If someone is trying to pass me at 60.1 MPH, then I slow down and let them get past. I've never understood drivers that will set their speed in the right lane and refuse to cancel the cruise control. That's what causes elephant races.

We've never had the opportunity to camp with anyone else. It might be fun for a couple days, but no longer than that.

@Wayne, sounds like we'd have a good time not camping together!

@MSCH, what about you, do you caravan and circle the wagons with a bunch of friends?

We have not, but there are some friends of ours that if they ever get off their butts and get another camper, we will do some lake weekends with.

We're not terribly social either, but we always have a good time with them and will get along just fine for the weekend. We're the type that we can hang out together and have a good time, but don't get offended of the other pair go off and do something without us.

We have one other couple that we travel with occasionally. They both camp and ride MCs; as do we. So we've had some fun vacations together. But we also go "solo" (wife and I; w/ kids when they were young).

I don't like traveling in large groups. Large groups means getting a consensus on everything from costs, locations, meals, durations spent doing activity "ABC", etc. Large group travels seem to extend the time it takes to do anything; conceptually as a factor of exponential magnitude ... OMG - try to get a group of 8+ people to agree on how often to stop for bathroom breaks; those can add at least 20% more time into a trip.

My buddy and I travel light and fast; no moss grows on us. I'm not saying we drive too fast or dangerously. I'm saying we don't putz around. Our wives have become accustomed to this kind of trip. There's a phrase from the old Everybody Loves Raymond television show; "ass in seat". We give the girls an AIS time, and they know to be ready! When it's time for fuel, there's a quick and efficient routine; no screwing around. It works for us; quite well.

Regardless if we're camping or on MCs, there's always agreement ahead of time where to stop, what to see, where to eat, where to sleep. We have a schedule and stick to it.

I abhor traveling in large groups. That doesn't mean I don't have a lot of friends; I do. I really enjoy weddings and family get togethers. I like being with other people. But I don't "travel" with those large groups. Traveling with more than a few people just sucks.

My buddy and I travel light and fast; no moss grows on us. I'm not saying we drive too fast or dangerously. I'm saying we don't putz around. Our wives have become accustomed to this kind of trip. There's a phrase from the old Everybody Loves Raymond television show; "ass in seat". We give the girls an AIS time, and they know to be ready! When it's time for fuel, there's a quick and efficient routine; no screwing around. It works for us; quite well.
We are really good at keeping it on the road, so we can get there. Efficient stops involve doing two things at once, I fuel the truck and the better half takes the dogs for a short walk. Sometimes we pop the dinning room slide out and eat a meal, but quickly. Rest stops are the same, while one of us is using the facilities, the other is walking a dog, then we trade off. We can get both of us and the dogs relieved in about 8 minutes.

I have traveled with people that can't get up early, can't get going in the morning, and can't make quick stops. I would rather beat my thumb with a hammer than travel with them.

I used to have my own rules ( when motorcycling) about traveling in groups.. which would definitely apply to RV convoying.
lets face it, you get any group together, somebody always needs to go to bathroom, somebody else always takes too long to get fuel. somebody doesn't want to eat where everyone else does and somebody else might have vehicle problems.

if you are compatible with one other rider, it is OK and you will average about 50 miles per hour.
you can subtract 5 miles per hour from average speed of travel for every vehicle over that 2 in that particular vehicle group.
by the time you get up to 6 vehicles in a group you will be averaging 30 miles per hour and if you get a dozen or more
your average travel speed will be damn near zero. :)

We did see these large RV group tours on the Alcan Highway.
But they were paid trips that all the RV stops and all the events were pre planned
and paid for in advance , the people involved in these seemed to not exactly convoy together as they could travel at their own pace but each days start and stop point were preset.

I wondered why people did it, as it was expensive but I think it appealed to a certain set of
people who are unsure of their own abilities regarding such a long trip.

:ROFLMAO:

We should try it sometime!
We could meet at the same place but not travel together or camp beside each other. Maybe get together around the campfire in the evening to talk about what we did that day. That could work. Possibly go for a bike (bicycle) ride but that's pushing it. (y)

My sister and BIL bought the 21 2500HD Silverado and new Jayco 5th wheel when they retired in 2020 and tried to travel with someone else on their first few trips out of state to get the hang of it I guess. Their only previous camping was within 1-2 hours of home with a Coleman pop-up that his mom bought new when he was a kid. From western Pa they've been to New England and WV now and mentioned Yellowstone next year. I think they've found their RV lifestyle going to Florida in the winter. Last winter they went for 2 months, this winter they went back to the same place for 3 months. They really like doing the retired people stuff and the familiar people and surroundings.

We could meet at the same place but not travel together or camp beside each other. Maybe get together around the campfire in the evening to talk about what we did that day. That could work. Possibly go for a bike (bicycle) ride but that's pushing it.
You are a mind reader!

I think they've found their RV lifestyle going to Florida in the winter. Last winter they went for 2 months, this winter they went back to the same place for 3 months. They really like doing the retired people stuff and the familiar people and surroundings.

I recently reconnected with somebody from my home state who I hadn't talked to since about 1990. He spends the winter in FLA in his RV.. pretty nice park up on the Caloosahatchee River east of Labelle FL. Big old RV park, maybe 500 spots, he leaves his RV
parked there permanently.. my parents did the same thing, eventually became permanent FL winter residents in a 800 spot RV park.
it is a pretty homestyle environment, especially for seniors as it is the same people every year, everybody knows everybody else... they have different events and stuff like Bingo nite, or pot lucks for each state, aka it is Ohio Nite, or Indiana nite etc stuff like that..

old friend stays in this one https://www.thegladesresort.com/

my parents used to stay in this one https://recreationplantation.com/

They stay somewhere near Williston in a pretty big park. I was surprised they took to it like they did. She says they're the youngest there at 64 YO.

They stay somewhere near Williston in a pretty big park. I was surprised they took to it like they did. She says they're the youngest there at 64 YO.

yea. its quite the community, those places... I get it...

you usually find the people staying in those places are past the point of wanting to see the world and are just content to stay somewhere warm during the winter without spending a fortune doing it.

those places have the same people in them, year after year.. both my parents died while wintering in Fla..
and the outpouring of concern from every other old fart in their RV park overwhelmed me..
I think that is why people do it...
its like a really friendly neighborhood.

Well, our friends finally signed the papers on their camper and we've booked a weekend getaway for us, them, and some close friends of ours.

We'll probably all get kicked out. :p

Really though this is a group of long-time great friends that don't get together as much as we'd all like, should make for a good weekend by the lake.

Well, our friends finally signed the papers on their camper and we've booked a weekend getaway for us, them, and some close friends of ours.

We'll probably all get kicked out. :p

Really though this is a group of long-time great friends that don't get together as much as we'd all like, should make for a good weekend by the lake.
like any group thing, if you are compatible, it can be alot of fun, but if you all aint compatible its going to be about as much fun as a root canal.