Colorado's first Buc-ees

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
I just had to stop to see what Buc-ees is about. It's about scale. 116 pumps and a large store with food, clothes, junk food, goofy hats, dog toys, and even pewter. It opened Monday morning at 6:00, never to close, as they are open 24x7x365. The gas is about 15-20 cents cheaper than any stations around. I'll bet 75 of the pumps were occupied and probably 300 people in the store looking around. Yes, the bathrooms are very clean!

I don't know if all pumps have diesel, but all I saw did. The canopy is about 15', so any RV can be pulled into the pumps. I'm a bit surprised there are no separate commercial pumps for trucks.

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4514.JPG

IMG_4513.JPG

IMG_4512.JPG

IMG_4511.JPG

IMG_4510.JPG

IMG_4509.JPG

IMG_4508.JPG

IMG_4507.JPG

IMG_4506.JPG

IMG_4505.JPG

Last edited:
They're building the first one in Arizona east of Phoenix in Goodyear along I-10. 120 fueling stations for passenger vehicles only, 200 full time employees. I think we passed by one in our travels last April somewhere in the southeast. Phoenix media is trying to make a big deal about it.

They specifically don't cater to trucks and don't want them there.

Other than them being packed, they make it pretty easy to get a truck and trailer in and out.

The ones around here sell E0 93 as well. Not that it makes a huge difference, but I'll usually pony up a few extra $$ for it when we're there, just because.

We couldn't get into the North GA on the last time we were through there it was so packed.

Buccees does have pretty impressive restaurants disguised as fuel stations..

They specifically don't cater to trucks and don't want them there.

Other than them being packed, they make it pretty easy to get a truck and trailer in and out.

The ones around here sell E0 93 as well. Not that it makes a huge difference, but I'll usually pony up a few extra $$ for it when we're there, just because.

We couldn't get into the North GA on the last time we were through there it was so packed.
yeah, I think there is one in Calhoun, seems like exit 310.... and one Buccees just south of Macon on I 75...

I saw this Buc-ees being built, and at the time wondered if the on-off ramps can handle the sure to be very significant increase in traffic, and the increase in traffic more likely than not will not be locals and/ or professional drivers. I think to approve a Buc-ees at that location would require a very significant capacity increase, at a nine figure cost to that section I I25, the bridge, and the turn in and exit from Buc-ees. I am not a civil engineer by any means, but with the growth in that area that Buc-ees will be keeping the Colorado State Patrol, Weld and Laramie Sheriffs, and Johnstown police very busy with accident and related reports.

I saw this Buc-ees being built, and at the time wondered if the on-off ramps can handle the sure to be very significant increase in traffic, and the increase in traffic more likely than not will not be locals and/ or professional drivers. I think to approve a Buc-ees at that location would require a very significant capacity increase, at a nine figure cost to that section I I25, the bridge, and the turn in and exit from Buc-ees. I am not a civil engineer by any means, but with the growth in that area that Buc-ees will be keeping the Colorado State Patrol, Weld and Laramie Sheriffs, and Johnstown police very busy with accident and related reports.
I thought the same thing too, until I saw all the road work and reconfigurations done to increase traffic flow.

The I-25 interchange is now a double divergent diamond. We had several in IL, so I have lots of experience with them. DDDs flow a TON of traffic. Two large interchanges in IL, that were always congested, now have zero congestion after the DDD was installed, this was really and amazing transformation.

The intersection that most of the Buc-ees ingress and egress traffic flow through is a large double lane traffic circle with a protected right turn lane out of Buc-ees.

There were a ton of people entering and leaving the Buc-ees parking lot and there was zero congestion. I was really impressed.

We’ve supposedly got a Bucees coming to I20 in Louisiana sometime next year. It’s been in the planning for quite some time. They’ve already redone the ramps on and off the interstate.