Camco Power Grip RV Two-Plug 15-Amp to Single 30-Amp Adapter

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
Camco makes a lot of good products and I own several of them. But this video takes salesmanship too far. At 20 seconds the sales guy says that you have less of a chance of tripping the breaker on your 15 amp outlet. I'm gonna call total BS on that one. He also claims that you'll have less of a chance of overheating the 15 amp outlet. When is the last time you had a 15 amp outlet overheat? I have run 1,500 watt heaters continuously for days and have never had one overheat.

Further, the packaging is in my opinion deceptive. It appears that you get two 15 amp plugs to add up to a single 30 amp plug. That's not the way duplex outlets work. The maximum current you'll ever get from a 15 amp full duplex outlet is 15 amps, not 30 amp.

camco.jpg

I'm calling this product a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

Well, you could get 30 out of a duplex outlet, but it would have to be split in two and wired to two separate circuits. I know a bunch of outlets can be wired that way, but have never seen it done in real life. I'd imagine there's code against it.

You'd better hope that they were wired on the same side of the box as well. You come across one wired separately and out of phase and the results will be interesting.

I too wonder what problem Camco is trying to solve there. Some people are going to be disappointed when they can't run their AC and water heater with it.

Last edited:
I wonder if you really could get 30 amps from a split duplex outlet with this adapter? I think I'll call my EE buddy and ask for his thoughts.

I wonder if you really could get 30 amps from a split duplex outlet with this adapter? I think I'll call my EE buddy and ask for his thoughts.
Sure, don't see why not. If it were two separate 15amp circuits AND they were wired off the same phase (Which they wouldn't be if both breakers were stacked next to each other in the breaker panel) then there's no reason you couldn't pull 30a out of it.

Big if though. if it were wired to separate phases and wired correctly you'd be connecting the two opposing phases directly to each other, which wouldn't be the end of things, but it would probably be a pretty loud pop before the breakers kicked.

I can't think of any reasons why you'd do it though. If you're going to go through the trouble of running 2 circuits, why not just have 2 separate receptacles? I guess if you had 2 high-powered devices that each needed 10-15 amps and you didn't want to plug anything else into that circuit. I'm sure there are use cases for it or the receptacles wouldn't be designed to do it.

--Edit--

I did just have another thought. If you were at a house with no 30a available and had two extension cords, and knew of two circuits on the same phase, this would be a way to get your 30a out of the house. Just carry a two-channel oscilloscope with you. :)

Last edited:
but it would look cool in the box with all my other RV cord adapters... :)
Thought I was the only one that collected those.

I even have a 50' 30a extension cord that I tote around. Granted, it was given to me. I haven't ever come close to needing it, but can't bring myself to take it out of the front storage...just in case.

Our main cord is 20' and we have a 15' extension cord, which we are using. This site put the electric and sewer opposite where there should be. I also had to buy a 20' sewer hose, as my 15' wasn't long enough.

Our main cord is 20' and we have a 15' extension cord, which we are using. This site put the electric and sewer opposite where there should be. I also had to buy a 20' sewer hose, as my 15' wasn't long enough.
Yea, in my mind it is only a matter of time before I run across that. That's why it is still in the front storage and why I have 2 slinkys in the tube out back.

Yea, in my mind it is only a matter of time before I run across that. That's why it is still in the front storage and why I have 2 slinkys in the tube out back.
Believe it or not, but this is the very first time in 5 years of camping and probably 40 different campgrounds that I've needed a longer sewer hose.

yeah, once in awhile you find yourself in a camprgound where no thought was given to the placement of the various utility hookups and find yourself needing more hose, cord or stinky slinky than you normally do.. seems to be more of an occurence in old out of the way camprground than places built in this century.