Calculations on how far the Tesla Cybertruck could pull our 5th wheel trailer

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
I did some calculations on how far the Tesla Cybertruck could pull our 37' 20k lb 5th week trailer.

We pull it with a 2021 Chevy 1 ton Duramax diesel that averages about 9 MPG while towing.
  • One gallon of diesel contains approximately 138,690 BTU (British thermal units).
  • One kWh is equal to 3,412 BTU.
  • Therefore, one gallon of diesel contains approximately 138,690 BTU / 3,412 BTU/kWh ≈ 40.67 kWh.
Divide the energy content by the fuel efficiency:
  • 40.67 kWh / 9 MPG ≈ 4.52 kWh/mile.

1. Estimate the energy content of a gallon of diesel:
    • One gallon of diesel contains approximately 138,690 BTU (British thermal units).
    • Therefore, one gallon of diesel contains approximately 138,690 BTU / 3,412 BTU/kWh ≈ 40.67 kWh.
  2. Divide the energy content by the fuel efficiency:
Therefore, a vehicle with 9 MPG diesel fuel efficiency would consume approximately 4.52 kWh of energy per mile traveled. The official confirmed battery capacity of the Tesla Cybertruck is approximately 122.4 kWh. 122.4 kWh divided by 4.52 kWh is approximately 27.08 miles the Cybertruck could pull our trailer from 100% battery to 0% battery.

We can tow about the trailer about 324 miles on a full tank of diesel fuel (100% to 0%). We carry another 60 gallons in a aux tank in the truck, so our total range is 864 miles vs 27.08 mile range.

I think it will probably be a while before an electric truck can match the range of a diesel.

Yep, it is going to take some form of battery breakthrough or new technology to match the energy density of hydrocarbons.

I still want a hybrid though. :)

@Wayne I know Rich at DeBoss Garage is annoying, but have you seen what him and Edison Motors are pimping?

(I'm quite sure that is a torque typo)

Whether or not it makes it to production, like a whole lot of these ideas, remains to be seen. But it is yet another interesting idea.

Also not sure how well a series hybrid would work because of conversion losses. Might be ok for short tripping, but I would think highway trips would suffer.

Last edited:
my son has a 2024 Honda Accord Hybrid. the one and only time I asked him if he checked the fuel economy he said he didn't but the meter said 50's... So I told him next time fill it up , reset the odometer... and check it for real next time you get gas..

511 miles on 10 gallons.. pretty good.. its is all electric too, under the hood.. no belt drives. it also goes some distance electric only before the engine kicks in..

(I'm quite sure that is a torque typo)
That's probably torque output at the electric motor shaft in the axle. Not a typo. Electric motors of this size put out a stupid amount of torque. Locomotive electric motors put out about 60k pound-feet of torque.

heavy haul and RV's will be diesel for several more years IMO. Electric is just not robust enough for the range of towing.

Just my $0.02

I did some calculations on how far the Tesla Cybertruck could pull our 37' 20k lb 5th week trailer.

We pull it with a 2021 Chevy 1 ton Duramax diesel that averages about 9 MPG while towing.
Divide the energy content by the fuel efficiency:

1. Estimate the energy content of a gallon of diesel:
  2. Divide the energy content by the fuel efficiency:
Therefore, a vehicle with 9 MPG diesel fuel efficiency would consume approximately 4.52 kWh of energy per mile traveled. The official confirmed battery capacity of the Tesla Cybertruck is approximately 122.4 kWh. 122.4 kWh divided by 4.52 kWh is approximately 27.08 miles the Cybertruck could pull our trailer from 100% battery to 0% battery.

We can tow about the trailer about 324 miles on a full tank of diesel fuel (100% to 0%). We carry another 60 gallons in a aux tank in the truck, so our total range is 864 miles vs 27.08 mile range.

I think it will probably be a while before an electric truck can match the range of a diesel.
Math doesn't lie.
Tree huggers do.

Not unlike that garbage where the DOE currently allows for a 6x multiplication factor in equivalent MPG statements for EVs.

Last edited:
Wayne is your aux tank gravity feed or solenoid feed? I’ve been thinking about adding an aux tank to my Ram but I’m not ready to part with the money yet. I don’t pull my camper as much as I use to so I’m procrastinating.

Just my $0.02

Wayne is your aux tank gravity feed or solenoid feed?
Old fashioned 12v pump and handle, nothing is hooked into the truck's fuel system. Stop, plug the pump into the trailer 7-way, and fill the tank with the hose. I like how easy it is to remove the tank when you have to use the bed for something else. Mine is a FuelBox, which is the only one I could find that has an external pump and filler how AND is not visible from outside the truck. I didn't want a pump and filter sticking up that says, "Fuel Here!"

I found it used on FB market place for $700, which is a song compared to new price. The guy wanted $850 and when I offered him $700, he said, yes come get it. I couldn't get there to pick it up fast enough...

Old fashioned 12v pump and handle, nothing is hooked into the truck's fuel system. Stop, plug the pump into the trailer 7-way, and fill the tank with the hose. I like how easy it is to remove the tank when you have to use the bed for something else. Mine is a FuelBox, which is the only one I could find that has an external pump and filler how AND is not visible from outside the truck. I didn't want a pump and filter sticking up that says, "Fuel Here!"

I found it used on FB market place for $700, which is a song compared to new price. The guy wanted $850 and when I offered him $700, he said, yes come get it. I couldn't get there to pick it up fast enough...
If you ever have a chance, please post a picture and or/ model number of your fuelbox. Doesn't need to be the exact box- I am just trying to understand the model you are using

Math doesn't lie.
Tree huggers do.

Not unlike that garbage where the DOE currently allows for a 6x multiplication factor in equivalent MPG statements for EVs.

I doubt anyone even knows the equivalences yet, where they can come up with a reasonable factual comparison.
I figure it will be a long time before EV's can make serious inroads into what a HD diesel truck is able to do.
EV is probably great for someone doing home to work commuting duties, especially if they can charge at home
but EV usefulness will go out the window for long haul work. (especially trucking)

take one look at a busy truck stop in a urban area and figure you'd probably have to multiply land use by a factor of 6 to accomodate truck recharging. :)

If you ever have a chance, please post a picture and or/ model number of your fuelbox. Doesn't need to be the exact box- I am just trying to understand the model you are using
This is our FuelBox:

Wayne is your aux tank gravity feed or solenoid feed? I’ve been thinking about adding an aux tank to my Ram but I’m not ready to part with the money yet. I don’t pull my camper as much as I use to so I’m procrastinating.

Just my $0.02

TNT, not Wayne but I have a 60 gal aux tank in my Ram 3500.
60 gal RDS aluminum toolbox fuel tank combo.
gravity feed. works great.
reality is if you don't travel with RV alot it isn't worth doing
but if you pile on the miles it is a nice thing to have
.(with RV attached I've travelled 700+more miles at a crack without refueling, never pushed it until I was totally empty but I know I can probably go 900 miles loaded)
it isn't a necessity but it sure makes for having more time for driving and possibly saving some money
here and there on fuel.

RDS Fuel Tanks

IMG_0484.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the fuel boxes. Didn't know they existed as "free standing" options.

I have a 2002 F350 V10 4.33 rear with a short wheel base. Tows well, but in grades can easily get down to five MPG. I tow a featherlite gooseneck loaded with tools. The fuel tank is only 28 gallons in the shortbed. When towing, there is a lot of risk of running out of fuel, especially on I80 in Wyoming. I keep a five gallon gas tank in the bed- but a fuel box can provide great piece of mind.

This thread resulted in finding some alternative solution:
71qyhBvcg9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81cWo44MttL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks for the info on the fuel boxes. Didn't know they existed as "free standing" options.

I have a 2002 F350 V10 4.33 rear with a short wheel base. Tows well, but in grades can easily get down to five MPG. I tow a featherlite gooseneck loaded with tools. The fuel tank is only 28 gallons in the shortbed. When towing, there is a lot of risk of running out of fuel, especially on I80 in Wyoming. I keep a five gallon gas tank in the bed- but a fuel box can provide great piece of mind.

This thread resulted in finding some alternative solution so as this:
problem for those with gasoline fueled truck is the legality and complications involved as there are emissions and rollover certifications and standards that make it harder from a legal standpoint.. doesn't mean it cant be done.. but you wont find very many auxiliary tanks that are listed for gasoline. use.. better off getting a gas caddy or carrying gas cans

Keep in mind, that any aux tank for your V10 gasser will have to be rated for gasoline. Most aux tanks are placarded against hauling gas.

When I had my Dmax, I just carried two 5 gal containers of diesel fuel with me as "insurance" when on our RV trips.

I actually had to use them once. I laid out my fuel stops a few days ahead; I had planned to stop for fuel where I was familiar with the area from previous trips, but it was closed due to a recent fire. I had to travel a long distance to the next stop in Casper. And along the way, there was an accident which shut down all traffic towards Alcova. I was stuck on SR220 with nowhere to turn around, nowhere to fuel up, and just sitting there idling to keep the AC running (summer heat in WY can be as bad as anywhere else).

It was so reassuring to know I had 10 more gallons of fuel on hand. It's not convenient like a plumbed aux tank, but it sure made me feel great to refuel right there on the road. I got out, popped open the tonneau cover, grabbed the containers and filled 10 more gallons into the tank. Once we got up to Casper, the truck and containers got topped off.

Imagine if that had been us in an EV pulling a load. You have to skip a damaged EV charge station, and head up a long drive and get stopped in the middle of nowhere. Nowhere to go, no "on demand" charge station, no means of getting the energy you need to continue.

The energy density of a few gallons of fuel (gas or diesel) is WAY more portable and convenient than any EV could hope to achieve in an emergency situation.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, that any aux tank for your V10 gasser will have to be rated for gasoline. Most aux tanks are placarded against hauling gas.
Guess I will be sticking with this can. The issue is getting fuel from the can to the gas tank can end up with the gas can operator getting soaked in fuel.

Untitled.jpg

@GON, we had that type of safety container for hazardous liquids at work, kind of awkward to deal with, I could see it being a pain trying to pour gas in a truck. Maybe a transmission funnel with the small end cut back where it just fit in the filler neck would make it easier?

Back to the original reason for this thread, I've averaged 10mpg over 17k miles of towing. Gasoline has 33.7 kWh of energy so I use 3.37 Kwh/mile. I could go 36.3 miles with the Cybertruck in theory. Thing is the trailer they pulled in the video is 33' long and he used 1 kWh/mile towing it. My trailer is 26' so it should weigh less. It looks like he towed 22 miles on fairly flat ground and we're always going up or down a lot so that's different. Is the EV drivetrain noticeably more efficient than my ICE drivetrain?

Answering my own question about efficiency multiple sources say only 20% of the energy in gasoline is used to propel a vehicle, the rest is lost. EVs use almost 90% of energy moving the vehicle taking into account regeneration.

When you look at it from the perspective that the Cybertruck holds the equivalent of 3.6 gallons of gas or 3 gallons of diesel the problem becomes obvious even with 4 times greater efficiency.

Last edited:

This thread resulted in finding some alternative solution:
View attachment 2149View attachment 2150
I have the diesel version of this tank. I bought it as a prelude to an aux tank. I can go from the QC’s to Rochester MN and back on my stock tank and this device. I’d still like to have a true aux tank that’s 40 gallons.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: GON