Any Good Baseball Cities to Visit?

AutoMechanic

I’m trying to plan vacation for the summertime. Going the week of July 22nd-26th. Main criteria the city has to have an MLB team and be able to be driven too in reasonable time from Virginia. Me and my dad are having a hard time deciding. So far for MLB cities I’ve been to Cincinnati, New York, and Pittsburgh. Personally I’d like to go to Atlanta or Chicago or Baltimore but dad has expressed concerns about the dangers of those cities. I’ve been to Washington DC before as well but never made it to a game there. Does anyone have a recommendation for a city to go see? I’m not a city type person but unfortunately all the baseball teams are in major cities. Will consider going back to any of the ones I’ve been too as well.

Has anyone been to Chicago, Baltimore or Atlanta? I’ve been thru Chicago and Baltimore but never stopped in anywhere. I’ve also been past the White Sox stadium which looks really nice as well as the Orioles stadium in Baltimore. Mainly would be going to Chicago to see the Cubs and their historic stadium but would also see the White Sox while we are there.

I would love to hear everyone’s insight on recommendations. I get discounts on pretty much all hotels and tickets thru my works discount program. Strongly considering going to DC or Baltimore because of the ease of driving. But really considering everywhere in driving range. Yes we are opposed to flying otherwise I’d want to go to a team out west. Like I said too we are considering going anywhere so like say 650ish miles or less from home.

Thanks.

Has anyone been to Chicago, Baltimore or Atlanta?
Yes, I lived in Chicagoland for 30 years and have been be both the Cubs and White Sox parks many times. Both are really great places to see games and you'll be there with tens of thousands of other people. You'll be fine.

I have no real input as to any baseball stadium to attend but maybe arranging for an UBER to get you there or some type of chartered tour package might be a good idea if you are worried about being in the area of which stadium you plan on attending.

Living where I do, Atlanta is only about 50 miles away. My wife and daughter go to Braves games a couple times a year, I don't go with them and don't really worry about them too much. I just don't much care to go to the games and am usually working. There's the minor league team (Atlanta Stripers) that plays just down the road from us that I'll go to though. Less people, easier to get to, more fun evening in my opinion. You could probably do a 2 for 1 and go to a MLB and a Stripers game all in the same trip.

The new Atl stadium is pretty far out of downtown and in the more expensive area of metro Atlanta, so I would consider it a little bit safer than the old Turner Field, which is in a much seedier area. SCCA used to run its autocrosses down there, and showing up in the early mornings to do course setup, in the dark, it was sketchy to put it politely.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ever since the fans got shot last year at the White Sox game I’ve been kinda leery about going there but understand it isn’t likely to happen. I haven’t been thru Chicago since 2013 so don’t remember it much besides the baseball stadium. I’m going to try to convince dad to go to Chicago for the Wrigley Field and Whote Sox field or Atlanta as those two are on my bucket list to go to in person as are all MLB stadiums. Baltimore will be my back up though.

I do hate the crowds at baseball games for sure and in the city itself but love baseball and am trying to visit every MLB stadium. I knew they moved the Atlanta stadium so I’m glad to hear it’s not as much in the city anymore.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ever since the fans got shot last year at the White Sox game I’ve been kinda leery about going there but understand it isn’t likely to happen. I haven’t been thru Chicago since 2013 so don’t remember it much besides the baseball stadium. I’m going to try to convince dad to go to Chicago for the Wrigley Field and Whote Sox field or Atlanta as those two are on my bucket list to go to in person as are all MLB stadiums. Baltimore will be my back up though.
a little off topic but if you are a baseball nut, I'd like to say my neice has a Genuine Chicago Cubs World Series ring.
She was an accountant for the CUBs the year they won the series.. so she got a ring..
She now works for the Tigers.

a little off topic but if you are a baseball nut, I'd like to say my neice has a Genuine Chicago Cubs World Series ring.
She was an accountant for the CUBs the year they won the series.. so she got a ring..
She now works for the Tigers.
That’s awesome. My neighbors are die hard Cubs fans and they went crazy that year that they went to and won the World Series in 2016. I’ve never followed the Cubs or White Sox closely but that’s a very cool story. Maybe one year the Tigers can get her another one.

That’s awesome. My neighbors are die hard Cubs fans and they went crazy that year that they went to and won the World Series in 2016.
We were sitting on the edge of the couch watching the ending of the game. When the Cubs won, we set off the glass break sensor in the house. Don't worry, we only have about another 100 years until the Cubs win the world series again.

Last edited:
That’s awesome. My neighbors are die hard Cubs fans and they went crazy that year that they went to and won the World Series in 2016. I’ve never followed the Cubs or White Sox closely but that’s a very cool story. Maybe one year the Tigers can get her another one.

its her Dad that is the baseball nut aka he suffers with the Tigers and knows every dumb stat ever famous Tiger ever had.
.,he has one of the old wooden seats from Tiger Stadium when they tore it down, it is down in his man cave..
of course he drilled baseball into his 3 daughters their growing up years.

so my Brother in law got complimentary seats at both the Cubs World Series games and the Cleveland games that year.
I think he said the Cleveland Stadium area will make your hair stand on end so dont go wandering around that area.

its her Dad that is the baseball nut aka he suffers with the Tigers and knows every dumb stat ever famous Tiger ever had.
.,he has one of the old wooden seats from Tiger Stadium when they tore it down, it is down in his man cave..
of course he drilled baseball into his 3 daughters their growing up years.

so my Brother in law got complimentary seats at both the Cubs World Series games and the Cleveland games that year.
I think he said the Cleveland Stadium area will make your hair stand on end so dont go wandering around that area.
Haha. Cleveland is one of those teams if I have to see them I will but I’d rather not. There are much more entertaining and fun teams around. I seen the Indians play the Reds back in 2014 when I went to Cincinnati. They got a really nice stadium in Cincinnati but it’s a hard city to navigate. The only reason I really want to go to Cleveland besides baseball is my friend lives there.

Someday if you decide to expand your horizons spring training in Phoenix should be on your list. I don't know how many teams have spring training here but you can get lots of baseball in a short time.

Someday if you decide to expand your horizons spring training in Phoenix should be on your list. I don't know how many teams have spring training here but you can get lots of baseball in a short time.
I’m definitely open to going out west. Just need more than a week to account for driving. No way I’m stepping foot on a plane lol. I’ve also considered going to Florida for spring training as well. I want to make it to San Diego to see the Padres play since they are my favorite team and have the #1 best ranked stadium for view.

I realize that what I'm about to suggest does not fit into the parameters you initially stated, but I do think there are options worth considering ... College teams. If it's love of the game that interests you, and not big-name expensive players with big egos, I highly recommend collegiate games. I've been to a lot of Cubs and Reds games, as Indy does not have MLB. We do have a very good AAA team; the Indians. But I've found a lot of fun to be had at college games these days. I doubt I ever do another MLB game; not worth the expense and hassle for me.

I've made a point of going to some of the local BigTen games near me (Purdue and IU) because I can get there and back in a day's drive, and the games are cheap. And, now in Indiana, these stadiums serve beer, so it's just like being at a MLB game except less crowds, less worry of danger (college kids are generally harmless during the day), etc. Last time I went to the IU game, admission was $3 on a Thursday, the beers were only $5 for 16oz, and the hot-dogs were fairly edible. Oh, and parking is typically free at these places; might be a 5 minute walk from car to your seat.

I have to think there are some college teams within a day's drive that could offer some entertainment for a very good price for you and your dad. I know this isn't what you directly asked for, and you didn't indicate that price is a concern, but I thought I'd throw it out there (pun intended ;)).

So I think we have decided on Baltimore and Washington D.C as they are the closest and most convenient to us. As well as catching some minor league games and college games this summer too. I’ve been looking at hotels and man they are expensive during July. I also didn’t realize how big that Baltimore was I haven’t been there in a long time. I knew how big DC was. The week I picked these two teams will both be playing my favorite team the San Diego Padres which is the main reason for choosing these teams as well as the 30 miles in between them which isn’t bad.

Anything to do in either of these cities? When I was little we seen all the special buildings around DC so that might be cool to do again. We seen the Capital Building, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, White House etc. Never done much around Baltimore though.

Anything to do in either of these cities? When I was little we seen all the special buildings around DC so that might be cool to do again. We seen the Capital Building, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, White House etc.
The only area of Baltimore I know anything about is the waterfront. Lots of shops and things to do as you walk around.

Go into one of the museums in DC and get lost for a few hours. Repeat at the next museum. You could be there for days just browsing around looking at interesting things.

Definitely going to look around Baltimore for sure. I plan on visiting the Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum which is just a block away from The Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Going to look at what museums are in DC. Maybe I can find something not baseball related for the rest of the family lol.

We are going to spend a couple nights in each place. Still figuring out places to visit in DC. We have decided we are also going to see the Edgar Allan Poe House and Museum in Baltimore along with the game and Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum. Hopefully with the bridge not being available now that it won’t have too much effect on our travels.