Almost that time

ctechbob

Headed off on our first warm weather trip of the year for a weekend in Savannah.

Loaded up and almost ready to roll.

Lots of blue in this pic.

IMG_20240418_142040406_HDR.jpg

yeah, we've been clear,dry and fairly warm down here in SWFLA for a couple weeks now, been getting near 90 in the afternoon, but we still don't have the summer humidity yet... had skies like that for a couple weeks now..

I like Savannah.
If you get a chance, go to the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum. Its right there at I 95 just outside of town.

b17.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly, we ended up completely avoiding Savannah this weekend and ended up in Hilton Head. There was a big college event in Savannah/Tybee and we figured to just go ahead and avoid them both for the weekend.

Failure to research on my part. I didn't realize that the place had become a spring break location for college students. The wife and I both are heavily anti-crowd so we just went elsewhere.

Sadly, we ended up completely avoiding Savannah this weekend and ended up in Hilton Head. There was a big college event in Savannah/Tybee and we figured to just go ahead and avoid them both for the weekend.

Failure to research on my part. I didn't realize that the place had become a spring break location for college students. The wife and I both are heavily anti-crowd so we just went elsewhere.

over time one locale will get tired of Spring Breakers and run em off and another locale pries the spring break crowd away from them, it takes a good 20 years or more before they wear out their welcome.. I was living in SFLA when Ft Lauderdale was th choice, but FT Lauderdale made a concerted effort to run em off... after that they went to Daytona Beach.. after that it was Panama City Beach... but Myrtle and apparently Savannah also trying to get some of that money. :) You could go down towards Appalachicola.. Thats still dead.

over time one locale will get tired of Spring Breakers and run em off and another locale pries the spring break crowd away from them, it takes a good 20 years or more before they wear out their welcome.. I was living in SFLA when Ft Lauderdale was th choice, but FT Lauderdale made a concerted effort to run em off... after that they went to Daytona Beach.. after that it was Panama City Beach... but Myrtle and apparently Savannah also trying to get some of that money. :) You could go down towards Appalachicola.. Thats still dead.

Ohh, the residents of Tybee didn't want them there in the first place, they closed down a lot of businesses and parking ahead of time. Right or wrong, they sent the message beforehand that they didn't appreciate them being there.

Turns out, this year was pretty smooth according to what I saw. Of course there were some fights and medical calls, but not a pile of arrests like there were the year before.

Ohh, the residents of Tybee didn't want them there in the first place, they closed down a lot of businesses and parking ahead of time. Right or wrong, they sent the message beforehand that they didn't appreciate them being there.

Turns out, this year was pretty smooth according to what I saw. Of course there were some fights and medical calls, but not a pile of arrests like there were the year before.
its like anyplace that has "events', either they learn how to milk it for all the money it is worth and have controlled parking and events as well as plenty of police presence, or else the authorities make it so difficult to carry on the people go somewhere else.
Daytona used to be hell for about a month of the year, between Bike Week Speed Week, Spring Break and then Black Spring break... any other time the place was dead.. Fort Lauderdale had the Spring Break thing going on when I first moved to Fla, iit was great to go to but you sure as hell didn't want to live near that.. I can see both sides..