3D Printing and Your RV

ctechbob

Note: This is not intended to be a how-to or step-by-step guide. It is more my journey into 3D printing and things I’ve done that relate to camping with our rig. There are tons of 3D printing how-to’s on the internet that you can reference for help getting started on the adventure.

Also, I’m not going to tell you which 3d printer to get, there are tons of them out there. I will say, that I like my Ender3. It is well-supported, parts are everywhere, and they are cheap. Just remember, the first rule of 3d printing, is that you will end up printing upgrades to your printer. Not that you have to, but there are tons of little things you can print that make things work better, work easier, store tools, etc.

That out of the way…….

I never intended to get into 3D printing, or rather, it was far down my list of hobbies to pick up. When a brand new Creality Ender3 showed up on my doorstep courtesy of my little brother, my priorities list immediately got reordered and I took to putting the little robot to work. Initially downloading and printing different designs from the internet and then moving on to modifying downloaded designs and designing my own. There is a whole world of downloadable designs out there courtesy of the ‘open source’ nature of the hobby and generous designers. Probably the most popular of the download sites is www.thingiverse.com, but there are also www.cults3d.com, and www.printables.com among others.

Eventually, you may want to move on to designing things on your own if there is nothing out there that fits your needs. Disclaimer: I am far from being a CAD (Computer Aided Design) expert. I can get by in my choice of 3D design program, but you’re not going to see me drawing much more than things with a bunch of flat surfaces. The trick with CAD is finding a design program that fits the way your brain works and sticking with it long enough to be able to get things done. You’ll be looking for one that can output an ‘STL’ file which can be brought into your slicing program of choice to be turned into code that the printer uses to make your dream a reality. For me, for the last couple of years, that program has been Designspark Mechanical. Although they have recently removed the ability to edit an existing STL file from their free version, I still use it to do my drawings and it still allows you to export an STL file. There are many other options out there, from browser-based ones, to downloadable programs, you just need to search out and try some.

Between your downloaded or self-designed file sits the slicing program. This is the piece of software that takes your STL file and ‘slices’ it into layers and creates the code that directs your printer how to print. You don’t really need to know anything about G-code, but if you wish, an explanation of it can be found here: https://www.3erp.com/blog/g-code/

Just like everything else, there are many choices when it comes to slicers. The one that comes with the Ender3 is functional enough, but most people download and use Ultimaker Cura (https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura/). It is free and has many more options than the Creality Slicer that the Ender Printers come with.

Either way, you will set the specifics of your printer into the slicer program, along with variables such as the printer head and heated bed temperature you want to use (This depends on what material you are printing with and what your printer ‘bed’ is made out of), and the speed at which you want to print. In general, the slower you print, the better the end quality. You also need to pick your ‘infill’ percentage. Most 3D prints are not solid. Printing a solid structure would be very strong, but you would also use mass quantities of filament and it would take forever to print. So in that case, the outer section of the print (2-5mm) is solid, while the interior is filled with varying amounts of support. The more support, the stronger the print and the longer it will take (And use more material). Article on Infill: https://all3dp.com/2/infill-3d-printing-what-it-means-and-how-to-use-it/

There are also settings for print support and bed adhesion. Your printer can’t print something out in open air, so if you have a design with large overhangs, you will need the slicer to include disposable support in the print. See: https://all3dp.com/2/3d-printing-supports-guide-all-you-need-to-know/

Bed adhesion is used when you have an object with a small base that might not stick to the bed properly. Just like the supports, the slicing program can include a ‘raft’ that is printed with the object that is broken off and discarded after printing. Most of the time, if you’re using supports, you should use a raft. I tend to try and print things without either if possible as it results in a cleaner print. Not always possible though. With some experience, you’ll figure out what can and can’t be printed with and without support and rafts.

Now, you have your design, it has been sliced and ready to print. Chuck the SD card into the printer and you’re off to the races, almost. Before you press that ‘go’ button, make sure the printer is up to temperature and check that your print bed is level and the right distance from the print head (If you have a printer that requires manual adjustments of these things). A set of metal feeler gauges can come in handy here, although I used a simple piece of printer paper for about a year before I bought a set of feeler gauges.

Now you print. Or at least you hope so. If everything is right, the printer will start, the first layer will stick to the bed, and all you have to do is wait. As long as that first layer sticks, chances are, everything will turn out ok.

A Word On Materials:

I’m just not going to do that here, there are so many different materials to print from it is mind-boggling. Starting out, stick with PLA, it is easy to work with and will give you good results. If you need something semi-flexible, TPU is what you will be looking for. A little harder to work with but will still give good results.

For more on materials: https://all3dp.com/1/3d-printer-filament-types-3d-printing-3d-filament/

Here is the equipment/upgrades I use:

Ender 3 with upgraded ‘silent’ motherboard ($35 for the motherboard)
  • Believe it or not, it makes a difference how the machine drives the stepper motors. The motherboard that came with my printer made the steppers make high-pitched whining sounds that you could hear in the next room (IE annoyed the wife). The new motherboard drives them differently and they are dead silent. It might be standard now, I haven’t kept up with what they’re selling/shipping in 2023.
Upgraded hot end ($12)
  • I had an issue with the thermistor on the OEM hot end and replaced it
Upgraded Aluminum extruder ($12)
  • I wore a slot in the factory piece over time and replaced it with an aluminum one along with →

3D-printed filament feed ($6 for a pack of 8 skateboard bearings)
  • Gives the filament a smoother path into the extruder and prevents wearing a slot into the extruder tension arm

3D Printed filament roll support (See cost for bearings above)
  • The OEM roll holder just lets the roll drag on a plastic tube. The printed one uses 2 bearings for less friction. Makes the feeding of the filament more accurate.

3D Printed tool and supplies holder
  • 3 Drawers that fit underneath the control panel that hold tools, extra nozzles, and a few spare bolts.

By far, the best upgrade I’ve made over the couple of years I’ve been printing

A Raspberry Pi Zero 2W running OctoPrint. (In a 3D printed case of course).

I picked the Pi Zero 2W at the time as it was during Covid and it was the only Pi I could get my hands on for reasonable money that would do that job. Any Pi with better specifications than the Zero 2W should work just fine.

This is the best money you can spend to upgrade your 3D printing setup. For around $50 all in you can get the Raspberry PI, the necessary power adapter, and USB hub to make it all work.

With this setup you no longer have to shuttle your files back and forth on an SD card and every bit of the printer is controlled through a web interface.

Free of course: https://octoprint.org/
IMG_20230330_174223028_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231202_224345983.jpg
IMG_20231201_162451882.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you asking. “Sure, this all sounds cool, but what does this have to do with RV’s?”

Well, here’s what I’ve done/printed so far.

1. Silverware divider. No one makes anything ‘RV Sized’ and if they did, there are so many different drawer sizes it probably wouldn’t fit, so I made my own. Printed in two pieces and epoxied together. Printed from a Wood-Based PLA filament. (Self-Designed)
    IMG_20230330_174223028_HDR.jpg
  2. Replacement Curtain holdbacks. I’m pretty sure I broke one of the factory ones the first week we had the camper. Printed from the same wood-based PLA I used for the silverware drawer. (Downloaded)
  3. Flashlight holders for rechargeable flashlights. Printed from flexible TPU (Self Designed)
  4. ¾” water quick-connect caps. I use quick connects on all of my water fittings, including the city water and black tank flush connections on the outside. Leaving a ¾” hole on the side of the trailer for bugs and dirt to get into wasn’t my idea of something smart to do, so I drew and printed some covers out of flexible TPU. (Self-Designed)
  5. Upgraded refrigerator lock. The EverChill OEM piece will flip out of the way and let the doors swing open unless you do something to hold it in place such as stuff a washcloth in the slot. The upgraded piece replaces the OEM piece and provides a more secure lock as well as a position that keeps the doors open slightly for in-between trips. (Self-Designed)
  6. Mounting bracket and brace for under-counter water filter. The cheap filter canister I bought did not come with a mounting bracket. Originally I had a modified chunk of sheet metal holding it up, but replaced it with a downloaded upper bracket, and because none of the filters come with any sort of bracing and the only attachment point is the top, I drew up a bracket to keep it from flopping around during transit. (Self-Designed)
    IMG_20231202_224345983.jpg
  7. Ductwork Air Guides. The factory Coleman method of air discharge is simply to blow air straight down into the flat plenum. This causes turbulence and noise as well as decreased airflow. My guides turn the air more smoothly. The result is increased airflow out of the ductwork and a slightly quieter system. (Self Designed, although the idea came from Thingiverse)
  8. Dividers for the medicine cabinet (Self Designed)
  9. Toothbrush Holder(Downloaded)
  10. Adapter to adapt air fitting to water hose for blowing out lines for winterization (Downloaded)
  11. Adapter for filling fresh water tank (Downloaded and adapted)
IMG_20231201_162451882.jpg

Approximate Costs Involved - Consider this the minimum entry fee into the game.

3d Printer $170 – the sky’s the limit. There are some cheaper printers and some on sale that will probably work, I’m just basing that off of a decent entry-level printer.

Filament - $12 and up for a 1kg roll of PLA (PLA is one of the most popular and easier to work with filaments, great for beginning the journey).

A desktop computer/laptop that you can run some basic software on, or as you advance, some 3d modeling software.

A microSD Card reader of some sort. When you first start you’ll use the card to transfer the print files from your computer to the printer.

Wikipedia Article on 3d Printing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

I will work on getting some additional pictures over the next few days. I'm posting from work and only have what is available on my phone at the moment.

I also fully admit that there are commercial solutions to some of the 'problems' I've solved by 3d printing, but 3D printing gives me exactly what I want most of the time instead of making a commercial product fit my needs.

Last edited:
This print I just finished today. It is a holdback for my Evercool fridge. The one that comes on it will let the door fly open unless you block it with a washcloth. This one will not. It has two holes in it, I will be printing a shorter version of the rod to go in the inner hole to use when we're not using the camper and the door needs to stay open to air out. I'm also going to tweak the length of the hold-back rod. This print I will be posting to Thingiverse when I get it finalized. I'm also going to print the rod out of a brighter-colored plastic so the wife or kid doesn't yank the fridge open and break it.

IMG_20231205_072728449.jpg

IMG_20231205_170232107.jpg

IMG_20231205_170211741.jpg

The flashlight holder. Printed from flexible TPU filament (Self-designed). There are two of these mounted in the camper within easy reach.

IMG_20231205_170304886.jpg

IMG_20231205_170255702.jpg

Replacement window curtain holdback (Downloaded), Printed from a wood containing PLA, not for any particular reason other than that's what I had on hand at that moment in the printer. This filament smells like MDF when you print it.

IMG_20231205_170706417.jpg

IMG_20231205_170711952.jpg

I wasn't 100% happy with the fridge holdback, so a quick redesign and reprint later I've arrived at the final version.

V4 on the right, V5-Final Version on the left. Thickened things up to the maximum and printed 100% solid.

The pins are printed out of flexible TPU and are just a hair oversized so that they are a friction fit in the hole.

IMG_20231207_144944938.jpg

Mounts to the 2 factory holes with factory bolts.

IMG_20231207_145108840.jpg

Inner pin location for holding the door open with pin installed.

IMG_20231207_145120687.jpg

Doors are propped open just the right distance into their detent so there is inward pressure to keep them against the pin.

IMG_20231207_145133865.jpg

Outer pin location keeps doors secure during transit.
IMG_20231207_145156448.jpg

I don't know how I missed this thread!

Great explanation not too much and not too little.

I'm going to have to spend some time learning and when I do that I'll end up getting my own printer and trying it out.

How flexible can the printed material be? I have an idea for something like a zip-tie for hoses.

I don't know how I missed this thread!

Great explanation not too much and not too little.

I'm going to have to spend some time learning and when I do that I'll end up getting my own printer and trying it out.

How flexible can the printed material be? I have an idea for something like a zip-tie for hoses.
Good question. The flexible TPU comes out about the same as maybe the rubber on the sole of a hiking boot. Of course thinner would be more flexible. I don't know if there are 'softer' versions of the material out there or not. I'd imagine they would be much harder to print unless you had a direct extruder printer. I've been thinking of converting mine to direct drive, I just haven't yet since there's some drawbacks to the cheap way to do it.

Someone designed what looks like a bag tie and printed it out of PLA, which seems like it would be too stiff. I might try and print one out of TPU just to see if it will work.

1702095127709.jpg

Last edited:
I did forget to mention one of the worst-kept 3D printing secrets out there when it comes to finding things to print.

Many of you know McMaster Carr as a source for expensive parts. Expensive they may be, but a HUGE amount of the items they list have 3D CAD drawings available.

I have used their drawings directly imported into software to print a load of 'pipes' that I ended up making a shelf out of. I also 3D printed a bolt and nut that I used to hold on a trailer hitch cover. I ended up not finishing that project, but you can print threaded things if you so choose.

1702096805904.png

Not RV related, although I guess it could be a lightweight way to take some Christmas on the road with you.

3 - 3D Printed Trees (Downloaded) Printed with Clear PETG filament
1 - Base printed from color changing PLA filament
1 - Old Motorola LiON phone battery
3 - Slow color-changing LEDs
1 - USB 5v LiON charging board
1 - Switch

A couple of bucks and a few hours time and you have a portable, rechargeable Christmas tree display.

Here's a mystery object for the day. I'll post what it is for when I get to work tonight and let y'all try and figure it out.

IMG_20231218_031803993.jpg

The Problem: The new metal table mounts I bought to replace the plastic ones that I broke do not fit the table legs properly. There is too much taper on the legs and they wobble in the new fittings.

The Solution. Print a piece that indexes the outside diameter of the new table fixture and the inside diameter of the table legs. Now the legs are secure. The screw hole in the center assures that the piece does not move, even though it is a tight fit on the metal and is slightly sandwiched between the metal and the floor.

IMG_20231218_033101462.jpg

IMG_20231218_033447931.jpg

Very cool application for your printer.

How long did it take you to make the design? How long do they take to print?

Very cool application for your printer.

How long did it take you to make the design? How long do they take to print?

The pucks don't take very long since the print head just continually runs in circles. I want to say it is a 20 min print or so.

You'd think I'd remember since I just did it.

Maybe an hour's worth of design time total. It took me a couple of different versions. Usually takes me a few shots to get it right since the tolerance for a consumer-level 3d print isn't that precise.

Here you go @Wayne, more 3d printed fuel for the fire.

Not necessarily RV related, but another example of 3d printing saving the day.

I've owned a fairly nice roller bearing slide Matco toolbox from way back in my car stereo days. I replaced all of the drawer holdbacks probably 20 years ago and earlier this year, they all turned to dust, meaning the drawers no longer stay closed.

I need a total of 32 of the detents for my drawers. Not only were they a bear to find, but...well. (for a pack of 4).

Needless to say, I'm not paying $150 shipped for some little rubber nubbins.

1708831634145.jpg

So.

The reason for the holes in my design vs the originals is that it saves just a tiny bit of material (not that that is a big deal), and TPU is just a bit stiffer than the original rubber, so it made the drawer easier to close being a bit more flexible.

1708831715204.jpg

IMG_20240224_222857334_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240224_222510511.jpg

To be fair, these are version 7 of the design. I made a few changes along the way. I printed one, tried it, made a few changes, and then printed again. That took me a couple hours this afternoon. Now I'm printing 20 at once and will be able to finish the project tomorrow.

Todays fix.

No matter how much I try, I keep bending the soft aluminum lips on my baggage compartment doors dragging totes in and out of the storage areas.

Simple solution was to come up with a backer/ramp to sit just behind them so the totes won't catch the edge of the door lip.

IMG_20240304_163025112_HDR.jpg

Installed after getting the lips bent back mostly straight.

Rear Compartment 'Basement' (Front is exactly the same)

IMG_20240304_163011749_HDR.jpg

Todays fix.

No matter how much I try, I keep bending the soft aluminum lips on my baggage compartment doors dragging totes in and out of the storage areas.

Simple solution was to come up with a backer/ramp to sit just behind them so the totes won't catch the edge of the door lip.
The possibilities of 3D printer really are almost endless.

I just completed one of the most ridiculous prints that I've done to date.

(Warning, crap pictures, had to take them with an old Fire Tablet since I was using my phone for a prop.)

IMG_20240325_170943.jpg

IMG_20240325_170931.jpg

On the left is my current phone which I use for logging Torque Pro data, streaming music, and serving as a hot-spot for the wife's laptop. The phone on the right is my old phone that I use for navigation. Below is the TPMS monitor for the trailer. All of it sits on top of the dash in the cubby.

Pretty slick! How will you keep the phones from falling off when cornering or from bumps?

Pretty slick! How will you keep the phones from falling off when cornering or from bumps?
They are leaned back at enough angle that they stay put.

I actually use a smaller version to hold my phone during daily driving when I want to monitor temps, the phone rarely moves. And I drive a little more carefully when towing, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I did add some small stops to the left and right since the phone would go slinging across the dash if it did decide to move.