390 nights and these water filters are getting changed

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
These are the sediment and carbon filters that have been in use now for 390 nights including 180 days of full time living. They filtered every drop of water that was used in the trailer. The brand is Clearsource, which in my opinion makes very high quality filters.

The flow is still 100% as far as I can tell, but the sediment filter is very discolored and is beginning to degrade where one of the dogs chewed on the end. I will cut both filters to see if there is any visible caught debris. I do dump sediment out of the bottom of the housing every time it gets removed. The filters are completely dried between use and have zero smell.

IMG_4467.jpeg

IMG_4469.jpeg

IMG_4471.jpeg

2.5" filters? The one with the mesh looks identical to the under-sink one we use. Ours is just a single-stage carbon though. Bunch of different elements out there for them.

Reminds me, probably time for a new hose-end filter for us. I'm sure that one catches a bunch from all the state parks and hose grunge.

Yes, 2.5" filters and the one with mesh is the carbon filter.

I cut the sediment and carbon filters. The sediment filter had collected quite a bit of debris and I believe was ready to be replaced. The sediment filter has a very hard inner lining that keeps the shape of the softer outer element. Impressive construction for an RV filter. The carbon filter has a lot of carbon. The dime shows the thickness of the carbon element. Again, impressive for an RV filter.

IMG_4474.jpeg

IMG_4473.jpeg

IMG_4477.jpeg

IMG_4476.jpeg

IMG_4478.jpeg

Wayne, I buy a large box of 5 micron sediment filters every few years off of Amazon, cheap too... dont remember what a box of these cost but it seems like they were les than 3 dollars each in a large box.. charcoal is mostly for taste.. sediment is for crap( particles) in the water.

IMG_0511.JPG
..use em on my house as well as inline on a rig I installed in the hose going to the trailer. I don't bother with the water filter on city water but do use the filter setup if on well water..

Last edited:
setup that rides along in the trailer.. basically hardware store fittings like a 3/4 nipple and 3/4 hose adapter as well as one standard house filter setup.

IMG_0513.JPG

Wayne, I buy a large box of 5 micron sediment filters every few years off of Amazon, cheap too... dont remember what a box of these cost but it seems like they were les than 3 dollars each in a large box.. charcoal is mostly for taste.. sediment is for crap( particles) in the water.

View attachment 2446..use em on my house as well as inline on a rig I installed in the hose going to the trailer. I don't bother with the water filter on city water but do use the filter setup if on well water..
I do the same thing with the carbon filters.

1710546476418.jpg

Use them in the RV and in the house on separate drinking water faucets.

@MSCH @ctechbob

I have to admit that I didn't realize my Clearsource uses standard 2.5" filters. I kept reusing the filters, because they are really expensive from Clearsource. Now that I know they can be purchased so cheap on Amazon, I'll change them much more often. Thanks for the tips

@MSCH @ctechbob

I have to admit that I didn't realize my Clearsource uses standard 2.5" filters. I kept reusing the filters, because they are really expensive from Clearsource. Now that I know they can be purchased so cheap on Amazon, I'll change them much more often. Thanks for the tips

they have the same filters at Home Depot, Lowes, Walliemart,Ace etc just about everybody carries that size.. they are pretty much industry standard stuff. funny how cheap the crud filters are when you buy a big box at Amazon versus one at a time from a specialty store..

then again it is like that for a lot of things..
on the FB forum I admin for Ram Cummins trucks, one guy got on their promoting a good deal on 3 gallons of Rotella T4 and a Cat filter for 100 bucks.. thinking to myself 6 gallons of T4 at Sams club is 94 dollars and I just bought some Wix filters from Rock Auto for 4.50 each... or about half the price this guy was saying was a good deal..

50 sediment filters for 70 bucks.. https://www.amazon.com/Express-Wate...sXofNv5KmzLJXNEdyg3VTcqT5FUaAu-rEALw_wcB&th=1

Last edited: