Yellowstone Cold Weather Concerns

Mbacfp

Looks like it will get down into the low 20s at night during our stay in Montana. Little concerned about fresh waster hose and other things freezing. I'm from California, so very limited experience here.

I believe holding tanks have a heater. Should I be concerned with fresh waster hose connected to the motorhome?

Any advice on things I need to prepare for some cold night weather?

Appreciate the help.

I would put fresh water in your water tank and unhook your hose. The mass of water in the tank should be ok. Just go 1/2 tank or so. The hose with water in it will freeze . Turn it off and disconnect it.
I Also don't leave a sewer hose connected In cold weather. I generally wait until my grey tank is full before dragging out the sewer hose. Keeps it out of the sun, and in your case freezing weather. Hose will last longer.

@spasm3 is correct. Having lived in IA and IL all of my life, I'm an expert on cold weather - ugh I really despise it.

Your potable water tank won't freeze if you keep relatively full, but any exposed hoses or pipes are subject to freezing when it's just a few degrees below freezing overnight. At 20F you absolutely want to unhook and drain the potable water hose from the hydrant, else it will freeze and break the fitting on your RV and possibly the hydrant. If there is an outside wash station, see if you can shut it off and drain it, or at least make sure the hose and shower head are drained.

Most RVs use hot air from the furnace to heat areas where there are pipes and hoses on the interior, such as the access area to the plumbing coming to/from the tanks. The key is to run the furnace. If you only run an electric heater, then those areas won't get heat from the furnace and may get cold enough to freeze.

You may also want to leave the doors open a bit under the vanity and kitchen sink to let some warm air into those areas.

The forecast for the next 10 days there shows lows down to 20 and highs between 40 and 55. Warming to well above freezing during the day will prohibit cold soak. When you have an extended period of time that's below freezing, the cold creeps into everything and it can be difficult to keep things from freezing, but with the daytime temps, you'll be fine.

Most RVs use hot air from the furnace to heat areas where there are pipes and hoses on the interior, such as the access area to the plumbing coming to/from the tanks. The key is to run the furnace. If you only run an electric heater, then those areas won't get heat from the furnace and may get cold enough to freeze.

You may also want to leave the doors open a bit under the vanity and kitchen sink to let some warm air into those areas.
I never thought about that, the difference in the furnace and an electric heater! Makes sense. I'm still learning!

Getting ready for trip...leaving a lot of outdoor cooking equipment behind due to cold weather at night. More cooking inside motorhome this trip.

20210424_150721.jpg

20210424_150745.jpg

Planning to travel a little lighter. 2,000 mile round trip to Yellowstone.

That's actually no outdoor cooking stuff! Looks pretty roomy and it looks like the slide is in..?

If you're going up I-15 there is a great restaurant at exit 109 in Beaver, UT called "Timberline" that we thought had good food.

Last edited:
That's actually no outdoor cooking stuff! Looks pretty roomy and it looks like the slide is in..?

If you're going up I-15 there is a great restaurant at exit 109 in Beaver, UT called "Timberline" that we thought had good food.

Yes, I took everything out LOL. Slide is indeed in. Appreciate the info on Timberline. Yes, will be heading up I-15.