Windows that stick shut

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
All of the windows that open on our Airstream tilt out from the bottom. Since new, I've had to go outside with a plastic knife and help the window start pulling away from the seal strip on the trailer. I've tried graphite spray and just cleaning the seal strip and the window trying to eliminate any stickiness, but nothing helps. It would be nice for one person to be able to open the windows from the inside. I'm out of ideas. Anyone?

I'd be curious what the material its. I wonder about a dielectric grease or superlube, but I'd be more comfortable doing that if i knew what the seats were made of.

On second thought, a thin grease might attract and hold dirt, so maybe not.

What is 'superlube'?

I've considered getting some powdered graphite and wiping it on the seals. My logic is that if the windows stick to the seal, then the powdered graphite certainly would. The graphite would then neutralized the seal 'stickiness'?

Superlube is a company that makes a thin synthetic grease, they also have a dry film lubricant spray that works well in locks. I wonder if the dry film lube would work as it should not hold dirt.

I've tried the dry film lube and unfortunately it doesn't work very well. Not because it wouldn't work if you could spray enough on the seals to cover them, but because there would be so much overspray onto other parts of the trailer, I'm not willing to get the spray all over things other than the seals. So I've resorted to spraying the dry lube onto a cotton ball and wiping the seals. The cotton ball does transfer some lube onto the seal, but not enough to make much of a difference. I'm going to try the powdered graphite route and see how it works.

Got the powered graphite today, we’ll see if it works.
image.jpg

I've tried the dry film lube and unfortunately it doesn't work very well. Not because it wouldn't work if you could spray enough on the seals to cover them, but because there would be so much overspray onto other parts of the trailer, I'm not willing to get the spray all over things other than the seals. So I've resorted to spraying the dry lube onto a cotton ball and wiping the seals. The cotton ball does transfer some lube onto the seal, but not enough to make much of a difference. I'm going to try the powdered graphite route and see how it works.
Did you try corn starch or baby powder?

The graphite works like a champ! Put some on a cotton ball and rub it on the seal around the bottom half of the window frame. I closed the window and opened it about an hour later, zero stickiness! Done.

Good to hear, I was going to suggest slide out rubber seal spray, but saw you ordered graphite.

Tried again tonight and the window almost fell open - no more sticking!