Why put your stabilizers on jack stands?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
We recently saw this in a Colorado camp ground. What practical reason would inspire someone to put their stabilizer jacks on jack stands? I can think of any reason to do so and several reasons not to.

EB8DBADB-25C4-432D-B212-59FB42F09097.jpeg

6B400AAF-866E-46D2-AC2E-AF796E549D05.jpeg

Why on earth? Just need more of the yellow blocks. I can't see those even staying in place. Looks like a dangerous installation!

I'm going to guess from the shiny equalizer hitch bolts and super clean leveling blocks that it's a first or second trip out.

I'm going to guess from the shiny equalizer hitch bolts and super clean leveling blocks that it's a first or second trip out.
Everything on the trailer was almost perfectly clean and it took them a couple hours to set up. My guess this was their first trip. We all had our first trip, I'm not knocking them for that, but the stabilizers look like an accident waiting to happen. Some common sense would help.

Bet they're wondering why their coach wiggles all the time.

I use the all-natural cellulose foam variety (wood). Heavy, but it gets the job done and it was cheap. They live in their own tote up in the nose. I'd thought about buying some of the stacking plastic ones, but my solution is sturdy and pretty much indestructible. I picked a height that so far has suited most every site we've been on. The goal for me was to keep the jacks from being extended much further than half way.

1696205200349.jpg

I use the all-natural cellulose foam variety (wood).
I'm going to start calling wood "all-natural cellulose" from now on! The looks I'll get is worth it :)

The goal for me was to keep the jacks from being extended much further than half way.
Good plan, it keeps the jacks in their strongest range and helps hold the trailer still.