When do you replace the water heater anode?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
This anode has been in use since Aug 1, 2021 and we have spent over 100 nights in the trailer since then. We don't drain the water heater in the warm months, so the anode is slowly being consumed, except when the trailer is winterized.

Is this anode still serviceable or is it done?

0B99740A-4978-4D21-8073-9936B0FFCBFB.jpeg

E77825D8-AEFC-4350-ACB4-6851C709AFFE.jpeg

WOW! I've never pulled mine. Now i'm wondering what the effect of sanitizing my system has on the water heater anode. If its more than a week, and it usually is for us, i clorox the water system before a trip.

That rod is consumed close the where is grounded by the threads, interesting.

I'm thinking its still good since there is a fair amount of metal left. Is that an aluminum rod? Or magnesium? It looks like AL.

I know you have a large 5th wheel, what size is your water heater?

That rod is consumed close the where is grounded by the threads, interesting.
It makes sense that the closest area to the ground would be consumed first.

I'm thinking its still good since there is a fair amount of metal left.
I think so too, but I don't want the flakes to end up in the bottom of the water tank. I would never admit this, but when I pulled the rod, I kinda forgot to relieve the pressure from the tank. The amount of corroded rod flakes all over my sweatshirt is telling of what's inside the tank. I think I'll replace the rod now.

Is that an aluminum rod? Or magnesium? It looks like AL.
I don't know, but I will order magnesium. It's supposed to be the best metal to prevent tank corrosion.

I know you have a large 5th wheel, what size is your water heater?
12 gallon. There was an option for 16, but we find 12 is perfectly sufficient.

I think so too, but I don't want the flakes to end up in the bottom of the water tank. I would never admit this, but when I pulled the rod, I kinda forgot to relieve the pressure from the tank. The amount of corroded rod flakes all over my sweatshirt is telling of what's inside the tank. I think I'll replace the rod now.
Based on that, i would for sure!

I have one trip left this season. I think i will pull mine for a look after this trip! Thanks for showing this.