What do you check on your Air Conditioner in the spring before the camping season?

Wayne

Administrator
Staff member
This will be the third, well really 2nd and a half season, since we didn't take delivery until August 1st the year we got our trailer. What precautionary checks do you do to your air conditioners? I've decided to take the covers off and look for freon leaks, clean anything out of the condenser coils, visually inspect, and make sure the covers are back on securely. I've lost count of how many AC covers I've seen laying along the side of the interstates.

I have not been on top of our new camper. I need a bigger ladder to get on it. I have an 8ft A-ladder, its too short. I think i need a 12.

What do you guys use to get on top of your camper, Mine does not have a built in ladder. I don't want to add one, as it would block the rear window.

What do you guys use to get on top of your camper, Mine does not have a built in ladder. I don't want to add one, as it would block the rear window.
Very carefully! Only with a ladder and a 2x8 to walk on, as the aluminum roofs on the Airstreams are not meant to be walked on.

All my campers have been rubber roof. I have not been on my current camper. But as a general rule when I do, I do it barefoot. That way I don't tear the roof or mark it with shoe treads if I turn around or turn my feet.

I turn it on an run it in the spring; cross my fingers and hope it cools. 13 year later - so far, so good. Been actually impressed that with zero effort, it just keeps on chugging along. However, it does not run a lot because we're either camping at altitude and so it's cool enough in the evening not to need it, or we're camping in fall when it's a moot point. It runs every year for some use, but not often. Must be sealed fairly well, as it's never needed service and puts out plenty of cold air.

I hope our experience is as good as yours, but I've not heard good stories about the new Dometic ACs. Time will tell

I hope our experience is as good as yours, but I've not heard good stories about the new Dometic ACs. Time will tell
We had our Airstream for 3 years and ran the air conditioners many hours and never had a single problem with them. I hope the new owner will continue to have good luck with them.

After 5 years my rear AC unit (Coleman) lost its (leaked out whatever the cold stuff is). Repair guy said they are throw away units if that happens. Aside from filters he recommended a nylon wire brush to clean the coils from inside behind the filter screen. So, I do that.

I believe the unit was around $700 or so? I had also purchased an extended warranty with the motorhome so it only cost me $100. Believe total bill was $1,200-$1,300? So, didn't quite break even on warranty but it helped.