Water heater valve

spasm3

Most water heaters come with a plastic threaded plug. I find it to be a pain to remove this for winterizing or even draining it after sanitizing.
I added a camco quick drain to mine. Much faster , easier, drain the water heater without tools.

I have seen reviews complaining about valves like this leaking. I think they failed to take them apart and tape the threads before installation. I use the thick gray type plumbing tape. No leaks at all.

I do keep the plastic plug in there in case i need it.

IMG_20200426_204405692.jpg

Ha! Just ordered, thanks for the suggestion. We parked after a trip one time when the temperature was below freezing, so we had to winterize the trailer before letting it sit for the night. I was in a hurry to get it winterized and get home. Being in a hurry is always bad. I removed the plug and got a very large volume of pressurized hot water in the face. I completely forgot to relieve the pressure from the water heater before removing the plug! Ouch. I didn't know they made a quick drain for this application and will use from now on.

Thanks!

Take it apart and tape the threads, I think you will like it.

It is slower to drain, but much easier.

Take it apart and tape the threads, I think you will like it.

It is slower to drain, but much easier.

I have a roll of teflon tape, will do.

Yeah, I don't care how long it takes to drain, as I start it draining and walk away from it anyway. I figured out that it doesn't care if I watch it drain :)

I like that, but I have a sacrificial anode in my lower port, and so I just take that out at the end of each season and drain the tank. (on a cooled tank) I will open the TP valve an the top, remove the anode at the bottom, and water comes WOOSHING out at high velocity, and the tank gets a good sediment flush. Much as I would like the convenience of that drain valve, I prefer the longevity aid of the anode making the tank last; in my 13th year and still works great.

No anode in my water heater as far as I can tell. I'll bet there is an aftermarket anode I could buy. I just looked and they can be purchased on Amazon for about $10 each. Do you see corrosion on your anode?

Yes there is corrosion, but the corrosion is obviously a matter of several things; water-borne mineral content, duration of use, temp cycles, etc. These all vary from rig to rig and location to location.

I've have two anode rods. I'm still on my first one after about 10 years, but it's nearing it's end of life. Still got the spare I bought along with it, so I'll probably be rid of the RV before I'd kill that second rod.

Much as I do like convenience, I much prefer equipment longevity, so I'll take the rod over the draincock any day.

I can't argue that an anode rod would be great. But I've never had an issue, and i think the duty cycle is much different. I don't leave water in mine.
Now if you full time in an rv, i think an anode rod would be a great idea, as you probably don't end up with the the tank empty.

Its worth it to me to have the valve for convenience. In 15 years if i end up needing a new water heater, i can stomach that.

I think you will find that valve very handy.

Last edited: